Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 15:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SC - North Sea Oil

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
SC - North Sea Oil [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2005, 20:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:34) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 6 sessions
In attempting to solve the problems caused by a lowering of the price of oil, oil companies operating in the North Sea have taken a variety of approaches, which includes their reducing employment, using new technology to pump oil more efficiently from smaller fields, and finding innovative ways to cut the cost of building and operating
platforms.
A. which includes their reducing employment, using new technology to pump oil more efficiently
B. which includes reducing employment, using new technology to be more efficient in pumping oil
C. which include reducing employment, using new technology to pump oil more efficiently
D. which include the reduction of employment, their using new technology to pump oil more efficient
E. including a reduction of employment, their use of new technology to be more efficient at pumping oil

Please explain your answer.
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - North Sea Oil [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2005, 21:15
I am left with C.

1. verb agreement: aproachess .... include
2. parallel construction: reducing ......, using ................, and finding.........
3. correct adverb: efficiently
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2005, 06:38
OIl companies is plural so use "include"

So the answers in contentions are C and D only

D is verbose so C stands out with the correct structure
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2005, 07:03
C
A ans B are out because tenses don't agree. D uses efficient to modify a verb, E is too verbous and does not sound as good as C does.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2005, 07:14
nocilis:
can you explain your doubt in solving this question(you can PM me)? As per your standard, I feel that this should have been an easy one for you (unless the OA is not C!)
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2005, 18:44
The reference key I have (solved by some test taker) says E.
I got C too. Just wanted to pass it by and confirm. Anybody think answer could be E? If so, pl. explain.
I am bothered by C's use of "reducing employment" though!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 09:05
C - parallelism : reducing employment, using new tech. and finding innovative ways.

"finding" dictates the structure.
A better construct would have been "which include reduction of employment, use of new tech. and search for innovative ways".

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. -Albert Einstein.

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 15:52
nocilis,

C is my choice.
Could you please explain the reason for you to :? think 'reducing employment' is incorrect?

Paddy.
:?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 17:09
A. which includes their reducing employment, using new technology to pump oil more efficiently
- 'their reducing emploment' sounds like the oil companies has a drop in employment presently. This differs from the intent of the author. A is out.

B. which includes reducing employment, using new technology to be more efficient in pumping oil
- 'tehcnology' is not needed to be efficient, as this sentence suggests. B is out.

C. which include reducing employment, using new technology to pump oil more efficiently
- go with this choice. 'reducing' is parallel with 'attempting' and 'operating'. Efficiently is also modifying the write verb (pump)

D. which include the reduction of employment, their using new technology to pump oil more efficient
- 'their using new technology to pump oil ' is lenghty and awkward

E. including a reduction of employment, their use of new technology to be more efficient at pumping oil
- 'their use of new technology to be' is lenghty and awkward

C it is.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 20:21
let do a split. the only choices that maintain parallelism are a, b, c. Choice b contains an error (to be more efficinet) as it is somewhat wordy. Choice A is incorrect as "their reducing employment is wrong. C is clear and efficient with words. C is my choice
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 21:01
gmat2me2 wrote:
Oil companies is plural so use "include"

You got the right answer but the reasoning is wrong. Just to make sure you get why C is preferred to B so that you can apply the concept to other questions.
B is wrong for 2 reasons:
1- variety of approaches, which includes X, Y and Z
"which" refers to the immediately preceding plural word "approaches", hence one should use "include"
2- I don't necessarily believe, as ywilfred said, that "using new technology to be more efficient in pumping oil" is wrong but it is certainly more wordy than "using new technology to pump oil more efficiently" as C says. Conciseness is very important on the GMAT.

E is absolutely wrong. No second thought about this. The underlined part starts with an enumeration and then suddenly pops in a relative pronoun "their" which breaks the parallellism

Best Regards,

Paul

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 14:37
Paul wrote:
gmat2me2 wrote:
Oil companies is plural so use "include"

You got the right answer but the reasoning is wrong. Just to make sure you get why C is preferred to B so that you can apply the concept to other questions.
B is wrong for 2 reasons:
1- variety of approaches, which includes X, Y and Z
"which" refers to the immediately preceding plural word "approaches", hence one should use "include"
2- I don't necessarily believe, as ywilfred said, that "using new technology to be more efficient in pumping oil" is wrong but it is certainly more wordy than "using new technology to pump oil more efficiently" as C says. Conciseness is very important on the GMAT.

E is absolutely wrong. No second thought about this. The underlined part starts with an enumeration and then suddenly pops in a relative pronoun "their" which breaks the parallellism

Paul,

A question on grammar rule. in this situation "a variety of approaches", should "which" be driven by a variety or approaches??? Is there a simple grammar rule we can follow.

P
  [#permalink] 29 Mar 2005, 14:37