Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 00:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sc-Pls Explain this

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Sc-Pls Explain this [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2005, 08:54
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
guys I am posting this question again to clear one of my doubt
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 253#154253

The players were often punished by the referee's lack of alertness who penalized all those who were involved in fighting, regardless of who had instigated it.
A. The players were often punished by the referee's lack of alertness who penalized
B. The referee's lack of alertness often caused him to penalize
C. The players were punished by the lack of alertness of the referee who penalized often
D. Lacking alertness, the referee's choice was to penalize often
E. His lack of alertness to brutality often caused the referee to penalize

In the choice B the pronoun him is refering back to referee's lack a possesive noun

and also the subject and the object of the verb both are referee

Grammer rules says (source my grammer book) that the possesive noun should only be referenced by Reflexive Pronoun like (himself,herself)

The example given was why the answer is B here...even though the pronoun reference is wrong

Hubert's attempt in his compaign to dissociate himself from the jonson foreign policies was built around emphasis on hubert's senate career.

somebody pls explain this ....

OA to above question is B[/u]
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sc-Pls Explain this [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2005, 10:35
cool_jonny009 wrote:
The players were often punished by the referee's lack of alertness who penalized all those who were involved in fighting, regardless of who had instigated it.
A. The players were often punished by the referee's lack of alertness who penalized
B. The referee's lack of alertness often caused him to penalize
C. The players were punished by the lack of alertness of the referee who penalized often
D. Lacking alertness, the referee's choice was to penalize often
E. His lack of alertness to brutality often caused the referee to penalize[/u]

A. pronoun problem - "who" has no clear referant.
B. it also hasnot a clear referant for "him" - leave it.
C. misplaced adjective "often".
D. totally awakward.
E. similar to D.

ok, the choices are clearly A and B. our job is to chose the best one if possible. if not then go for the least harmful one. B is not the best but is the least harmful one. so B seems better over A because B is in direct form and doesnot use passive form.
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2005, 11:34
"him" doesnt refer to "the referee's lack of alertness". that makes no sense. it refers to "the referee", the object of the clause.

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2005, 13:03
"Grammer rules says (source my grammer book) that the possesive noun should only be referenced by Reflexive Pronoun like (himself,herself)"

---I not sure this grammar rule, but when I have to use reflextive pronoun, I always remind myself that "subject" is really done by his/her/themselves or not?

u can not use "himself" because "the lack of alertness" is not caused by the referee but it may cause by the hot weather, a bad moody and so on. The point is when we use reflextive pronoun, subject must reflex that action by himself/herself/themselves.....
--------------------------------------
In another case
Hubert's attempt in his compaign to dissociate himself from the jonson foreign policies was built around emphasis on hubert's senate career.

In this case, we use himself since " the attempt" is caused by "Hubert" and "Hubert" do this action by himself.
--------------------------------------------
Now.....What do u say? ......
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2005, 20:30
I would agree with HIMALAYA on this Q.
Will vote for 'B'
  [#permalink] 20 Nov 2005, 20:30