Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2016, 13:40
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SC - Priests

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3460
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 818 [0], given: 781

SC - Priests [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2003, 04:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Priests
Attachments

plus2_35b_c.gif
plus2_35b_c.gif [ 10.18 KiB | Viewed 820 times ]

CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3460
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 818 [0], given: 781

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2003, 04:24
stolyar wrote:
C is the most parallel


hmm... is the use of while correct here

what does *while* suggest here..
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2003
Posts: 964
Location: Florida
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2003, 23:25
agree with C.

while is used as a conjunction .. can be related with 'however', 'notwithstanding', 'yet'..
CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3460
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 818 [0], given: 781

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2003, 15:22
dj wrote:
agree with C.

while is used as a conjunction .. can be related with 'however', 'notwithstanding', 'yet'..


hey dj

"while" suggests at the same time.

does it look right in the sentence

example

please hold on "while" we obtain your record

( infamous customer service line )

your witness counsel :)

thanks
praetorian
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2003
Posts: 964
Location: Florida
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2003, 15:44
praetorian123 wrote:
dj wrote:
agree with C.

while is used as a conjunction .. can be related with 'however', 'notwithstanding', 'yet'..


hey dj

"while" suggests at the same time.

does it look right in the sentence

example

please hold on "while" we obtain your record

( infamous customer service line )

your witness counsel :)

thanks
praetorian


here, 'while' is not used as a noun. author is trying to compare two habits.
hence, while should be used as a conjunction--joins/compares two sentences--& the meaning inferred should be 'notwithstanding'.

even if you relate 'while' with 'at the same time', it makes sense here. isn't it?
..at the same time, priests who shunned garlic...
CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3460
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 818 [0], given: 781

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2003, 18:33
dj wrote:
praetorian123 wrote:
dj wrote:
agree with C.

while is used as a conjunction .. can be related with 'however', 'notwithstanding', 'yet'..


hey dj

"while" suggests at the same time.

does it look right in the sentence

example

please hold on "while" we obtain your record

( infamous customer service line )

your witness counsel :)

thanks
praetorian


here, 'while' is not used as a noun. author is trying to compare two habits.
hence, while should be used as a conjunction--joins/compares two sentences--& the meaning inferred should be 'notwithstanding'.

even if you relate 'while' with 'at the same time', it makes sense here. isn't it?
..at the same time, priests who shunned garlic...


While as a noun?? :o
i have never seen while used as a noun.

The answer given is B.

Akamai, could you help us decide.

1. is the use of "while " correct in C.
2. is use of "become" okay in B. i think we need "became".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2003
Posts: 261
Location: sydney
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2003, 20:12
whats the source of this question? :roll:
_________________

When u r about to make ends meet, someone moves the ends.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Posts: 329
Location: BACARDIVILLE
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2003, 20:06
My 2 cents:

Elimate choices to B and C.
B) has a problem with tense. "Become" I feel is incompatible with the non underlined portion.

C) mY money is on you. "...While the english priests soon became ill" is correct.

I don't see the discussion over the use of the subordinate conjustions while and whereas an issue here.

Anyone disagree?
  [#permalink] 07 Dec 2003, 20:06
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
SC Balvinder 16 08 Aug 2007, 06:09
SC Balvinder 3 06 Jun 2007, 00:23
SC LM 2 13 May 2007, 18:33
SC- jerrywu 7 01 Oct 2006, 21:51
SC rbcola 6 04 Aug 2006, 08:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

SC - Priests

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.