Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 16:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SC Problems _ how many to get right

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

SC Problems _ how many to get right [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2004, 01:03
I do have a serious problem on the SC side. I am going to take the test in 2 weeks . As of now, my scores on Kaplan are about 560-580, Princeton about 620-640 and times higher.

I have already completed OG about 1.5 times and in practice sessions in which I take about 40 questions and practice consistently these are the types of scores that I am getting

RC - 40Q - 35 R ( right )
CR - 40Q- 36 R
SC - 40Q - 29 R sometimes even lesser but never less than 26/27.

Going by the above , if i perform average on D day , I would get hit seriously by the low SC scores.

Any thoughts on how bad it can get. I am just trying to see how all of you guys are performing in practice sessions.

Ciao

:roll:
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2326

Kudos [?]: 9471 [0], given: 3703

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC Problems _ how many to get right [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2004, 01:16
Expert's post
bruce_spider wrote:
I do have a serious problem on the SC side. I am going to take the test in 2 weeks . As of now, my scores on Kaplan are about 560-580, Princeton about 620-640 and times higher.

I have already completed OG about 1.5 times and in practice sessions in which I take about 40 questions and practice consistently these are the types of scores that I am getting

RC - 40Q - 35 R ( right )
CR - 40Q- 36 R
SC - 40Q - 29 R sometimes even lesser but never less than 26/27.

Going by the above , if i perform average on D day , I would get hit seriously by the low SC scores.

Any thoughts on how bad it can get. I am just trying to see how all of you guys are performing in practice sessions.

Ciao

:roll:

You know that you can estimate your score here, right?
http://www.gmatclub.com/content/resourc ... /index.php

Unfortunately, I was always strong in grammar as it is just a bunch of rules that can be learnt and don't require any creativity, sort of like math. I hope I am not offending anyone, as I referring to gmat math ;)

I used a book that has been out of print for a long time.

Most often, the basics are the main reason for mistakes. You seem to have a good grip on the stats on SC. I recommend figuring out the main problem areas and specifically, making sure you don't make mistakes on the same question again. Take a practice section with just the questions you got wrong and see how you "understood" your mistakes there and what is still lacking.

I wish I had a good Grammar book in mind :oops:
I know this site is not bad:
http://www.englishgrammar101.com/

Also check the links section , Verbal GMAT

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2004, 01:40
BB,

i think the score calculator helped to reduce some of the anxiety.

thanks for the reply. But I do understand that there are rules and rules in grammar and since you tend to hear all the junk ( value add , strategic ) and tend to write them too.

On your suggestion on trying to do problems, I tried to do it once but the fact remains that I was doing things by memory and not by logic. Shall give it a try once again.

BTW, if you were practising on a bank of 40 SC Questions do you think you would have got all of them right .

Thanks and keep posting.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2326

Kudos [?]: 9471 [0], given: 3703

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2004, 01:45
Expert's post
bruce_spider wrote:
BB,

i think the score calculator helped to reduce some of the anxiety.

thanks for the reply. But I do understand that there are rules and rules in grammar and since you tend to hear all the junk ( value add , strategic ) and tend to write them too.

On your suggestion on trying to do problems, I tried to do it once but the fact remains that I was doing things by memory and not by logic. Shall give it a try once again.

BTW, if you were practising on a bank of 40 SC Questions do you think you would have got all of them right .

Thanks and keep posting.

Yes, indeed, as soon as you work through a question, you don't forget it, but still, you can at least try to remember why it was wrong, my last chance to convince you to try it :wink:

As to getting things right, SC was my strongest part always, and I would be really upset if I missed more than 2 in Kaplan's set of 15. Usually I got 1 or none wrong, but I did SC for fun and relaxation before reading, so.... if you don't consider SC a "fun" activity, you will probably have different standards.

By the way, I never scored higher than 640 on Kaplan.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

[#permalink] 09 Jun 2004, 01:45