Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 15:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SC Ques OG

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 11

SC Ques OG [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 05:20
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:41) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Hi Guys,

Some of the OG SC ques have such a pattern or what that I fall into the trap. In simple words I get them wrong. What should I do to be careful ?

Q-1) Initiated five centuries after Europeans arrived in the New World on Columbus Day 1992. Project SETI pledged a $100 million investment in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence.

(A) Initiated five centuries after Europeans arrived in the New World on Columbus Day 1992, Project SETI pledged a $100 million investment in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence.
(B) Initiated on Columbus Day 1992, five centuries after Europeans arrived in the New World, a $100 million investment in the search for -extraterrestrial intelligence was pledged by Project SETI.
(C) Initiated on Columbus Day 1992, five centuries after Europeans arrived in the New World, Project SETI pledged a $100 million investment in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence.
(D) Pledging a $100 million investment in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence, the . initiation of Project SETI five centuries after Europeans arrived in the New World on Columbus Day 1992.
(E) Pledging a $100 million investment in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence five centuries after Europeans arrived in the New World, on Columbus Day 1992, the initiation of Project SETI took place.

OA: C, I am confused between B & C.

Q-2) The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus.

(A) The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus.
(B) To the historian Tacitus, the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote two letters, being the only eyewitness accounts of the great eruption of Vesuvius.
(C) The only eyewitness account is in two letters by the nephew of Pliny the Elder writing to the historian Tacitus an account of the great eruption of Vesuvius.
(D) Writing the only eyewitness account, Pliny the Elder’s nephew accounted for the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus
(E) In two letters to the historian Tacitus, the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius.

OA : E , I chose A.

Q3) The physical structure of the human eye enables it to sense light of wavelengths up to 0.0005 millimeters; infrared radiation, however, is invisible because its wavelength--0.1 millimeters--is too long to be registered by the eye.

(A) infrared radiation, however, is invisible because its wavelength--0.1 millimeters--is too long to be registered by the eye
(B) however, the wavelength of infrared radia­tion--0.1 millimeters--is top long to be registered by the eye making it invisible
(C) infrared radiation, however, is invisible because its wavelength--0.1 millimeters--is too long for the eye to register it
(D) however, because the wavelength of infrared radiation is 0.1 millimeters, it is too long for the eye to register and thus invisible
(E) however, infrared radiation has a wavelength of 0.1 millimeters that is too long for the eye to register, thus making it invisible

Stuck : ???

Modifiers usually bother me.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers,
GR
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering & Construction
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 48

Re: SC Ques OG [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 06:02
The thing to notice is that you can use many of the basic modifier rules that you might have learned already. We can first determine what the phrase "logically" modifies. If it is "logically" describing a noun, as with appositive phrases, then the phrase should follow the rules of noun modifiers. If it is "logically" describing an action or a larger clause in the sentence, as with absolute phrases, then the phrase should follow the rules of adverbial modifiers.

greatchap wrote:
Hi Guys,

Some of the OG SC ques have such a pattern or what that I fall into the trap. In simple words I get them wrong. What should I do to be careful ?

Q-1) Initiated five centuries after Europeans arrived in the New World on Columbus Day 1992. Project SETI pledged a $100 million investment in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence.

(A) Initiated five centuries after Europeans arrived in the New World on Columbus Day 1992, Project SETI pledged a $100 million investment in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence.
(B) Initiated on Columbus Day 1992, five centuries after Europeans arrived in the New World, a $100 million investment in the search for -extraterrestrial intelligence was pledged by Project SETI.
(C) Initiated on Columbus Day 1992, five centuries after Europeans arrived in the New World, Project SETI pledged a $100 million investment in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence.
(D) Pledging a $100 million investment in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence, the . initiation of Project SETI five centuries after Europeans arrived in the New World on Columbus Day 1992.
(E) Pledging a $100 million investment in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence five centuries after Europeans arrived in the New World, on Columbus Day 1992, the initiation of Project SETI took place.

OA: C, I am confused between B & C.Ask yourself what was initiated?? Project Seti, now check what modifies initiated, it is the project seti, do u think in B, project seti is modifying "initiated" in any ways, no not at all, in B, initiated is getting modified by a 100$ investment, now dats where C is right, check C now.

Q-2) The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus.

(A) The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus.
(B) To the historian Tacitus, the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote two letters, being the only eyewitness accounts of the great eruption of Vesuvius.
(C) The only eyewitness account is in two letters by the nephew of Pliny the Elder writing to the historian Tacitus an account of the great eruption of Vesuvius.
(D) Writing the only eyewitness account, Pliny the Elder’s nephew accounted for the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus
(E) In two letters to the historian Tacitus, the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius.

OA : E , I chose A., A is pure run-on, there are too many things said, with no clear markings, start yurself by asking, who wrote the letter?? the nephew did, what did he write abt?? his only eye-witness account of vesuvius. A Reads like,"The nephew wrote in two letters to tacitus" rest all stuff are modifying whom he wrote, how he wrote and what did he write about,
E clearly sorts this mess,by clearing out Who is the main subject of the sentence and what does he do.

Q3) The physical structure of the human eye enables it to sense light of wavelengths up to 0.0005 millimeters; infrared radiation, however, is invisible because its wavelength--0.1 millimeters--is too long to be registered by the eye.

(A) infrared radiation, however, is invisible because its wavelength--0.1 millimeters--is too long to be registered by the eye Perfect
(B) however, the wavelength of infrared radia­tion--0.1 millimeters--is top long to be registered by the eye making it invisible it invisible??? what does it refer to? wrong
(C) infrared radiation, however, is invisible because its wavelength--0.1 millimeters--is too long for the eye to register it 2 uses of it both referring to different things, Wrong
(D) however, because the wavelength of infrared radiation is 0.1 millimeters, it is too long for the eye to register and thus invisible for the eye to register is awkward, and thus invisible, confusing Wrong
(E) however, infrared radiation has a wavelength of 0.1 millimeters that is too long for the eye to register, thus making it invisible thus making it - again it, what does ot refers to??, wrong

Stuck : ???

Modifiers usually bother me.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers,
GR

The only way to stay ahead of modifiers is by recognizing what are the main subjects and objects of the sentence, first try to find the main doer and what does it do, rest all is clutter in between, just make sure that clutter agrees in voice, tense and number with the doer.[i]

Giving Kudos, is a great Way to Help the GC Community Kudos

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 11

Re: SC Ques OG [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 05:34
Thanks for your inputs methevoid. I really appreaciate your help.

The problem with me is the ability to determine what is pointing to what ?

For e.g. : infrared radiation, however, is invisible because its wavelength--0.1 millimeters--is too long for the eye to register it ? it both wrong? I thought they are pointing to infrared rad.

determining that this sentence is incorrect :

Pledging a $100 million investment in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence five centuries after Europeans arrived in the New World, on Columbus Day 1992, the initiation of Project SETI took place. - how to determine error ?

The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus. - same here. to me it seems ok (though I know its incorrect)

It aint easy to ensure that this points to that and so on. What to do in such a case ?
Re: SC Ques OG   [#permalink] 06 Oct 2010, 05:34