Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 21:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SC Question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

SC Question [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2004, 01:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Hi, came across this question in BigB's SC download.

Ignoring the admonitions of his staff, the chief financial officer accepted the advice of the consulting company because he believed that the standardized accounting procedures would prove not only inexpensive but realiable indicators of economic performances.

(A) he believed that the standardized accouting procedures would prove not only inexpensive but

(B) the standardized accounting procedures would prove themselves to be both inexpensive and

(C) he believed the standardized accounting procedures would prove themselves to be both inexpensive and

(D) he believed that the standardized accouting procdeures would prove to be both inexpensive and

(E) standardized accounting procedures will prove his belief that they are both inexpensive and

My anwer was (A) while the one given is (D).

The question centres on the CFO's belief about standardized accounting procedures, so (C) is out. (B) is also out as it says nothing about the CFO's belief.
(E) looks fragmented.

This leaves me with (A) and (D). I chose (A) because of the but, which joins the phrase 'prove not only inexpensive' to 'reliable indicators of economic performance'.

(D) uses the join word 'and' but I think it would be more correct only if it was "prove to be both inexpensive and reliable AT indicating economic perfomances".

What do you guys think ?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2004, 02:09
I donot like to solve CR's when OA is given. Your thinking gets limited. I would suggest to wait for a day or atleast few hours before posting the OA.

GS
No excuses - Need 750!!!

Last edited by GoalStanford on 17 Jul 2004, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2004, 07:14
I got to D without seeing your answer, but you should avoid disclosing the OA. I have done this earlier and was asked not to do so.

For the answer, POE left me with C and D. I feel the part of the sentence to be replaces should start with the phrase "he believed", so B and E are out. A is out because it neds with 'but' when it should end with 'and'. Between C and D, D is better as it is more concise and C has "prove themselves to be" which I did not like :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2004, 23:55
Hi, Thanks !! Does OA means answer ?

Between (A) and (D), the only difference is the use of 'but' and 'and'. Both serves to connect two phrases together. The only big reason I can think of choosing (D) is the use of the idiom both..and... (Just found that out when I went through an idioms list)

Once again, sorry folks (esp. to goalstanford :) )about revealing the OA, did it in the past and didn't get any complaints. I'll take note of that in my future posts.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2004, 09:17
Yes OA is Official Answer (given). Please post only the question with no indication of answer and your concern, Once the thread matures you can add your concerns.

D is correct in this case because in A you should have not only .........but also.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: SC Question [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2004, 12:40
ywilfred wrote:
Hi, came across this question in BigB's SC download.

Ignoring the admonitions of his staff, the chief financial officer accepted the advice of the consulting company because he believed that the standardized accounting procedures would prove not only inexpensive but realiable indicators of economic performances.

(A) he believed that the standardized accouting procedures would prove not only inexpensive but

(B) the standardized accounting procedures would prove themselves to be both inexpensive and

(C) he believed the standardized accounting procedures would prove themselves to be both inexpensive and

(D) he believed that the standardized accouting procdeures would prove to be both inexpensive and

(E) standardized accounting procedures will prove his belief that they are both inexpensive and

My anwer was (A) while the one given is (D).

The question centres on the CFO's belief about standardized accounting procedures, so (C) is out. (B) is also out as it says nothing about the CFO's belief.
(E) looks fragmented.

This leaves me with (A) and (D). I chose (A) because of the but, which joins the phrase 'prove not only inexpensive' to 'reliable indicators of economic performance'.

(D) uses the join word 'and' but I think it would be more correct only if it was "prove to be both inexpensive and reliable AT indicating economic perfomances".

What do you guys think ?

A does not have "but also" ..."not only" always requires "but also", at least on the test.

I agree with others ... please wait a day or so to post the official answer ...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 May 2006, 05:49
In B, usage of Both and also makes it redundand

D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 May 2006, 09:23
(A) choice contains improper idiom (not...only but).

The correct idiom is not...only but...also

D is correct answer
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 10 May 2006, 19:50
This was exactly what i had thought. 'But also' is reqd.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 May 2006, 22:03
Ywilfred......... I beg to differ from you and agree with others but my point is a little different
The meanign if Sentence A is accounting procedure are inexpensice but reliable....... the "but" introduces a change in the logic or assertion that the author wants to make........ Had it been but also...... then it would have meant "procedures are both inexpensive and reliable" this is hat is stated in option D.........

To be frank....... I chose A too but rereading the sentence made a different sense........
  [#permalink] 10 May 2006, 22:03