Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 08:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SC Question - Answer seems incorrect

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

SC Question - Answer seems incorrect [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 22:38
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

75% (02:30) correct 25% (00:47) wrong based on 12 sessions
Found foll SC question. The answer given is B which I think is incorrect. Pls see..

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations,it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms.
A: it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms
b: a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals
C: it can be determined by company managers how much effort ought to be devoted to each of the company’s products in order to meet its goals, both short and long term
D: it may be possible for company managers to determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s short and long term goals
E: managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 63 [1] , given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Question - Answer seems incorrect [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 23:47
This post received
KUDOS
Heres my take on this:

D: it may be possible for company managers to determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s short and long term goals

it may be possible shows uncertainity, while the original sentence has certainity so i'm going to eliminate this answer.

E: managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term.

These does not have a clear antecedent. The operation's products? Off with this option.

A,B,C all seem pretty close.

C: it can be determined by company managers how much effort ought to be devoted to each of the company’s products in order to meet its goals, both short and long term.

its does not have a clear antecedent. In this sentence it seems to refer to the goals of the company's products. So off with this option too.

A: it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms

Again, its does not seem to have an antecedent.

B: a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals

Here the company is mentioned in the first line itself. A company's managers can... in order to meet its short and long term goals.

The word managers can be removed and still the sentence would be fine.
A company can...in order to meet its...goals.

Also...each of the company's products... is written instead of 'each of its products' to avoid reference to 'managers'.

So B seems to be the best answer.

Of course since you have already mentioned that B is the answer, our minds will be a bit biased. Would help if you would put the answer in a spoiler.

Give [highlight]KUDOS [/highlight] if you like my post.

Always do things which make you feel ALIVE!!!

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Question - Answer seems incorrect [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 00:21
My take is E.Correctly placed modifiers in E.Who is applying optimization techniques?Managers.So down to B and E.In B,a company’s managers is incorrect.Are you sure OA is b?
Intern
Intern

Re: SC Question - Answer seems incorrect [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 07:18
I have doubt with B because it uses its for Company's Managers which is incorrect.. its may also be used for Company's products which is also incorrect...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Engineering
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Question - Answer seems incorrect [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 07:45
B

wording is just not right - each of a company's products !!!!!!!!!! A: it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms

b: a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals

"its" ..... whose ? company's or product's ? C: it can be determined by company managers how much effort ought to be devoted to each of the company’s products in order to meet its goals, both short and long term

(siyer) "These" does not have a antecedent and "it may be" shows uncertainty . D: it may be possible for company managers to determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s short and long term goals

(siyer) "These" does not have a antecedent. E: managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term

All things are possible to those who believe.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Question - Answer seems incorrect [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 08:09
As far as I know you can add possession only to concrete nouns, meaning you can "feel/hear/touch/smell" the noun (correct me if I'm wrong). the company sounds like a noun that in my opinion is not concrete. so any use of company's sounds odd. Yet each of the answer choices uses this noun with possession in some way or another. So if I ignore the seemingly possession mistake I'd say that since the bold part should start with something that is modified by the first part of the sentence we can only choose between B & E.
B is phrased more concisely than E (again disregarding the possession mistake).
So I would pick B.

Can I ask what is the source of the question?

Consider Kudos if my post helped you. Thanks!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My TOEFL Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-toefl-experience-99884.html
My GMAT Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/670-730-10-luck-20-skill-15-concentrated-power-of-will-104473.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Question - Answer seems incorrect [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 11:09
Taking into a consideration the first part of the sentences, B is perfect.

Hard work is the main determinant of success

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Question - Answer seems incorrect [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 11:16
pseudotix wrote:
I have doubt with B because it uses its for Company's Managers which is incorrect.. its may also be used for Company's products which is also incorrect...

pronoun "its" can refers to a possessive noun, it does not break any rules. B wins because of concision and style.

Hard work is the main determinant of success

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Question - Answer seems incorrect [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 12:07
rlevochkin wrote:
Taking into a consideration the first part of the sentences, B is perfect.

True. Considering that there is a comma, choice B seems correct.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Question - Answer seems incorrect [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 12:17
Actually,

Its is the possessive form of "it." (Its is a possessive pronoun).

Therefore, just to make it clear - "its" should refer to a possessive noun.

rlevochkin wrote:
pseudotix wrote:

pronoun "its" can refers to a possessive noun, it does not break any rules. B wins because of concision and style.

Intern
Intern

Re: SC Question - Answer seems incorrect [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 20:46
Thanks adishail.. a difference of ' made all that fuss.. Thank you all
Re: SC Question - Answer seems incorrect   [#permalink] 14 Sep 2010, 20:46