Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:30 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [2]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Re: Mr. Schuler had finished repairing my computer by the time I arrived [#permalink]
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
milapshah wrote:
10. Mr. Schuler had finished repairing my computer by the time I arrived at his shop even
though I was early

a) by the time I arrived at his shop even though I was early
b) when I arrived at his shop a bit early
c) because I was early to arrive at his shop
d) by the time I arrived at his shop because I was early
e) in case I arrived at his shop early

As per Book correct answer is A, but what is difference between A and B (Eventhough I was early/ a bit early)
[/align]

(A) clarifies the situation much better than (B).
This is what happened. I arrived at his shop early. Still, he had finished repairing my computer (In contrast to what I had expected).
"Even though" in (A) shows the contrast.

Put in other words, (B) gives "When I arrived at his shop a bit early, he had finished repairing my computer." - that doesn't make sense, right? When I arrived early, I saw that he had done it. Kind of implies that when I arrive on time, he is usually not done.

When we use Past Perfect Tense ,aren't we already defining the sequence of events ?

So , shouldn't an ideal sentence be :

Mr. Schuler finished repairing my computer by the time I arrived at his shop. (Not using past perfect because we know 'finished' happened before 'arrived')

or

Mr. Schuler had finished repairing my computer when I arrived at his shop .

Specific to this question , answer choice A seems the best fit because of the 'meaning factor' but specific to tenses alone , is my understanding correct ?

Would appreciate your help .

Thanks!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Mr. Schuler had finished repairing my computer by the time I arrived [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Shalini89 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
milapshah wrote:
10. Mr. Schuler had finished repairing my computer by the time I arrived at his shop even
though I was early

As per Book correct answer is A, but what is difference between A and B (Eventhough I was early/ a bit early)
[/align]

(A) clarifies the situation much better than (B).
This is what happened. I arrived at his shop early. Still, he had finished repairing my computer (In contrast to what I had expected).
"Even though" in (A) shows the contrast.

Put in other words, (B) gives "When I arrived at his shop a bit early, he had finished repairing my computer." - that doesn't make sense, right? When I arrived early, I saw that he had done it. Kind of implies that when I arrive on time, he is usually not done.

When we use Past Perfect Tense ,aren't we already defining the sequence of events ?

So , shouldn't an ideal sentence be :

Mr. Schuler finished repairing my computer by the time I arrived at his shop. (Not using past perfect because we know 'finished' happened before 'arrived')

or

Mr. Schuler had finished repairing my computer when I arrived at his shop .

Specific to this question , answer choice A seems the best fit because of the 'meaning factor' but specific to tenses alone , is my understanding correct ?

Would appreciate your help .

Thanks!

Words such as 'before' and 'after' give you the sequence of the events such that past perfect is not required. You do not have those words here. You need to use past perfect here to explain the sequence of events: finish repairing, I arrive.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi all, this is my first post in this forum. I started this week to prepare the GMAT and since the beginning I have been following this forum. In my first GMAT test I have scored 23 on the verbal section, therefore I decided to start from the basics and review the grammar together with MGMAT SC book. I downloaded the Ultimate GMAT Grammar (thanks a lot), studied the basics concepts, and made practice test 1.

After reviewing all the answers there is one still not clear to me :? . Can you please help me in understanding what's wrong?

Mr. Schuler had finished repairing my computer by the time I arrived at his shop even though I was early.

Is there a post in which there is a detailed explanation and not just OA?
Thanks!
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31890 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply
ItzMeLeo wrote:
Hi all, this is my first post in this forum. I started this week to prepare the GMAT and since the beginning I have been following this forum. In my first GMAT test I have scored 23 on the verbal section, therefore I decided to start from the basics and review the grammar together with MGMAT SC book. I downloaded the Ultimate GMAT Grammar (thanks a lot), studied the basics concepts, and made practice test 1.

After reviewing all the answers there is one still not clear to me :? . Can you please help me in understanding what's wrong?

Mr. Schuler had finished repairing my computer by the time I arrived at his shop even though I was early.

Is there a post in which there is a detailed explanation and not just OA?
Thanks!

Hi,
I am merging your Q with the earlier discussion..
If there is any further query or you are still not satisfied, I will be happy to help..
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts