Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 08:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SC singular or plural?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
SC singular or plural? [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2004, 16:54
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Please look at the below sentences.

During an alert, people need to be careful when they have to run with their Kevlar protective (gear, gears) on. They should watch their (step, steps) if it is dark.

Which one do you think correct?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2004, 16:59
:?

My attempt here. Let me know if this correct or not.

During an alert, people need to be careful when they have to run with their Kevlar protective gears on. They should watch their steps if it is dark.

510 on my first GMAT. 610 on second GMAT.!
The struggle continues.

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2004, 17:15
I don't really have the answer for this one. I am asking for everyone's oppinion here.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2004, 09:23
Anyone read this:
http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/plurals.htm

Could it be some kind of "figurative word" like below?

"All ten children had a sweet tooth"
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2004, 14:33
When you talk about members of a collective noun, you should use plural. When you talk about collective noun as one unit you need to use singular

In this question gears and steps would be right since you are refering to induvidual members of broad group called people.

Praveen

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2004, 22:41
Gear and step.

When lots of people walk, they still watch your 'step'

When lots of people drink and walk, they watch their 'gait'

:wink:
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2004, 05:41
Quote:
In "The boys moved their car/cars," the plural would indicate that each boy owned a car, the singular that the boys (together) owned one car (which is quite possible). It is also possible that each boy owned more than one car. Be prepared for such situations, and consider carefully the implications of using either the singular or the plural. You might have to avoid the problem by going the opposite direction of pluralizing: moving things to the singular and talking about what each boy did.

I got this from the website supplied by qhoc0010... As I understand, both are correct, but that might indicate different meanings :!:

Let's crack GMAT

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2004, 18:31
ComplexVision wrote:
Quote:
In "The boys moved their car/cars," the plural would indicate that each boy owned a car, the singular that the boys (together) owned one car (which is quite possible). It is also possible that each boy owned more than one car. Be prepared for such situations, and consider carefully the implications of using either the singular or the plural. You might have to avoid the problem by going the opposite direction of pluralizing: moving things to the singular and talking about what each boy did.

I got this from the website supplied by qhoc0010... As I understand, both are correct, but that might indicate different meanings

While that rule can apply in other cases, it does not apply here because there is no such thing as "protective gears."

Do a Google News search and you'll see that with the exception of the Fiji Times and the Jamaica Observer, all news services use the term "Protective gear."

Examples from various news outlets:
... making sure troops today get the best training and protective gear available ...

... for the state to purchase bulletproof vests or other protective gear for any...

The subway stop near my office was crowded with policemen in heavy protective gear.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2004, 18:46
Jaadu wrote:
Gear and step.

When lots of people walk, they still watch your 'step'

When lots of people drink and walk, they watch their 'gait'

Jaadu is correct. The only exception would be if a choerographer were reminding the performers to be careful with their dance routines. In that case, always use the plural. Thus,

"I want Bob to watch his steps in the first act."

"I want the entire chorus to watch their steps in the second act."

Whenever the word is used in this manner, there is an elliptical "dance" in front of steps.
  [#permalink] 18 Nov 2004, 18:46