Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 08:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SC: Tense Questions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
SC: Tense Questions [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2007, 21:21
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
I only have some answers to the below GMAT questions. Therefore, I appreciate anyone who answers the questions with explanation.

1) Entering politics as an unambitious suburban volunteer, for the last thirteen years Mrs. Suzman was the sole representative of the Progressive Party in South Africa's Parliament, and the only opponent of apartheid in that body.

(A) Entering politics as an unambitious suburban volunteer, for the last thirteen years Mrs. Suzman was
(B) Having entered politics as a suburban volunteer who was not ambitious, Mrs. Suzman was, for the last thirteen years,
(C) For the last thirteen years, having entered politics as an unambitious suburban volunteer, Mrs. Suzman has been
(D) Mrs. Suzman entered politics as an unambitious suburban volunteer and was for the last thirteen years
(E) An unambitious suburban volunteer at the time she entered politics, for the last thirteen years Mrs. Suzman has been

2) In 1980 the United States exported twice as much of its national output of goods as they had in 1970.

(A) twice as much of its national output of goods as they had
(B) double the amount of their national output of goods as they did
(C) twice as much of its national output of goods as it did
(D) double the amount of its national output of goods as it has
(E) twice as much of their national output of goods as they had

3) The bystanders were convinced that a crime has been in progress as they saw the soldier pointing the gun at the old man.

(A) has been in progress as they saw
(B) has been in progress seeing
(C) was in progress seeing
(D) was in progress when they saw
(E) progressed in that they saw

4) By the time we arrive in Italy, we have traveled through four countries.

(A) we have traveled through four countries
(B) we had traveled through four countries
(C) we will have traveled through four countries
(D) four countries will have been traveled through
(E) we through four countries shall have traveled

5) Although he did not achieve national recognition until 1969, when his works appeared in the Metropolitan Museum's exhibition "Harlem on My Mind, " James Van Der Zee, the Black photographer, recorded the faces and events of New York City's Harlem during more than five decades.

(A) recorded the faces and events of New York City's Harlem during
(B) had been recording the faces and events of New York City's Harlem for
(C) had been recording the faces and events of New York City's Harlem during
(D) was the recorder of the faces and events of New York City's Harlem during
(E) was the recorder of the faces and events of New York City's Harlem over

6) Since 1967, Federal Reserve banks have refused to process through regular bank channels any checks that do not have magnetic-ink coding.

(A) have refused to process through regular bank channels any checks that do not have magnetic-ink coding
(B) have refused to process any check through regular bank channels unless they have magnetic-ink coding
(C) have refused to process any checks through regular bank channels without magnetic-ink coding
(D) refuse to process any checks through regular bank channels that do not have magnetic-ink coding
(E) refuse to process any checks without magnetic-ink coding through regular bank channels

Last edited by devilmirror on 15 Apr 2007, 09:42, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2007, 09:18
) Entering politics as an unambitious suburban volunteer, for the last thirteen years Mrs. Suzman was the sole representative of the Progressive Party in South Africa's Parliament, and the only opponent of apartheid in that body.

(A) Entering politics as an unambitious suburban volunteer, for the last thirteen years Mrs. Suzman was
(B) Having entered politics as a suburban volunteer who was not ambitious, Mrs. Suzman was, for the last thirteen years,
(C) For the last thirteen years, having entered politics as an unambitious suburban volunteer, Mrs. Suzman has been
(D) Mrs. Suzman entered politics as an unambitious suburban volunteer and was for the last thirteen years
(E) An unambitious suburban volunteer at the time she entered politics, for the last thirteen years Mrs. Suzman has been

D!
VP
VP

Re: SC: Tense Questions [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2007, 09:19
devilmirror wrote:
I only have some answers to the below GMAT questions. Therefore, I appreciate anyone who answers the questions with explanation.

1) Entering politics as an unambitious suburban volunteer, for the last thirteen years Mrs. Suzman was the sole representative of the Progressive Party in South Africa's Parliament, and the only opponent of apartheid in that body.

2) In 1980 the United States exported twice as much of its national output of goods as they had in 1970.

3) The bystanders were convinced that a crime has been in progress as they saw the soldier pointing the gun at the old man.

5) Although he did not achieve national recognition until 1969, when his works appeared in the Metropolitan Museum's exhibition "Harlem on My Mind, " James Van Der Zee, the Black photographer, recored the faces and events of New York City's Harlem during more than five decades.

(A) recored the faces and events of New York City's Harlem during

6) Since 1967, Federal Reserve banks have refused to process through regular bank channels any checks that do not have magnetic-ink coding.

(A) have refused to process through regular bank channels any checks that do not have magnetic-ink coding
(B) have refused to process any check through regular bank channels unless they have magnetic-ink coding
(C) have refused to process any checks through regular bank channels without magnetic-ink coding
(D) refuse to process any checks through regular bank channels that do not have magnetic-ink coding
(E) refuse to process any checks without magnetic-ink coding through regular bank channels

) Entering politics as an unambitious suburban volunteer, for the last thirteen years Mrs. Suzman was the sole representative of the Progressive Party in South Africa's Parliament, and the only opponent of apartheid in that body.

D!
VP
VP

Re: SC: Tense Questions [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2007, 09:27
devilmirror wrote:

5) Although he did not achieve national recognition until 1969, when his works appeared in the Metropolitan Museum's exhibition "Harlem on My Mind, " James Van Der Zee, the Black photographer, recored the faces and events of New York City's Harlem during more than five decades.

(A) recored the faces and events of New York City's Harlem during

C!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2007, 09:40
I have only the answers for question 1 and 2.

1. E
2. D

And I don't like both of the answers.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2007, 09:43
Please do not post all the questions in one thread. It makes answering that much more difficult.

The answer to q1 is D.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2007, 09:58
Ok - I am wrong on the very first question. The answer should be E and not D.

Quote:

When we are saying For the last 13 years we are counting the present as well - so simple past (Mrs Suzman WAS) is inappropriate.

suburban volunteer who was not ambitious, Mrs suzman was ----> WORDY

Modifier issue - for the last 13 years describes a period when Mrs S has been the rep of parliament so it should be as close to that.

The original sentence implies that Mrs Suzman is STILL the sole rep of the Progressive Party etc. So a present perfect is needed to demonstrate this fact. In E, "for the last 13 years Mrs. Suzman has been" does exactly that - something which is not accomplished in any of the other answer choices.

Right

Last edited by dwivedys on 15 Apr 2007, 10:00, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2007, 09:58
devilmirror wrote:
I have only the answers for question 1 and 2.

1. E
2. D

And I don't like both of the answers.

I have come across the 2nd q before .

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... goods+1970

C is the correct answer
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Tense Questions [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2007, 13:36
devilmirror wrote:

they is wrong so remove A, B and E. has is wrong so remove D. C is the answer
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Tense Questions [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2007, 13:39
devilmirror wrote:

I chose D.
'were convinced' is past tense so we need appropriate tense in remaining portion of sentence.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Tense Questions [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2007, 13:40
devilmirror wrote:

C

The correct portion of sentence is pointing towards future (when they will arrive in Italy). D and E are nonsense. A and B use wrong tense
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Tense Questions [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2007, 13:42
devilmirror wrote:

5) Although he did not achieve national recognition until 1969, when his works appeared in the Metropolitan Museum's exhibition "Harlem on My Mind, " James Van Der Zee, the Black photographer, recorded the faces and events of New York City's Harlem during more than five decades.

James received recognition in 1969 but he had been doing stuff for close to 5 decades. Hence B is the answer
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Tense Questions [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2007, 13:44
devilmirror wrote:

B is wrong since it uses 'they' for check
C is wrong as it changes the meaning
D and E use wrong tense.
A is the answer
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Tense Questions [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2007, 13:46
devilmirror wrote:

D is the only option that conveys the meaning clearly.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Tense Questions [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2007, 16:57
These are my answers (marked in bold) :

1)Entering politics as an unambitious suburban volunteer, for the last thirteen years Mrs. Suzman was[/u] the sole representative of the Progressive Party in South Africa's Parliament, and the only opponent of apartheid in that body.

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2007, 21:50
1)Entering politics as an unambitious suburban volunteer, for the last thirteen years Mrs. Suzman was the sole representative of the Progressive Party in South Africa's Parliament, and the only opponent of apartheid in that body.

E) cannot be the correct answer since the pronoun needs to follow the sentence "An unambitious suburban volunteer at the time she entered politics, " and not " for the last thirteen years ..."
It should be "An unambitious suburban volunteer at the time she entered politics, Mrs. Suzman .........."

Thus my choice is C
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2007, 16:46
dwivedys wrote:

Quote:

When we are saying For the last 13 years we are counting the present as well - so simple past (Mrs Suzman WAS) is inappropriate.

Modifier issue - for the last 13 years describes a period when Mrs S has been the rep of parliament so it should be as close to that.

The original sentence implies that Mrs Suzman is STILL the sole rep of the Progressive Party etc. So a present perfect is needed to demonstrate this fact. In E, "for the last 13 years Mrs. Suzman has been" does exactly that - something which is not accomplished in any of the other answer choices.

Right

Dwivedys, how does "D" imply Mrs Suzman is still the sole rep? There is a "was" in "D" which implies Mrs Suzman was a rep.
How can "for the last thirteen years " in E be correct?
"An unambitious suburban volunteer at the time she entered politics" is modifying Mrs Suzman. Pls explain.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2007, 18:50
goalsnr wrote:
dwivedys wrote:

Quote:

Right

Dwivedys, how does "D" imply Mrs Suzman is still the sole rep? There is a "was" in "D" which implies Mrs Suzman was a rep.
How can "for the last thirteen years " in E be correct?
"An unambitious suburban volunteer at the time she entered politics" is modifying Mrs Suzman. Pls explain.

Hi goals.. D does not imply Suzman is still the sole rep and that's why I said it's wrong because the ORIGINAL sentence does. Hence E sounded more appropriate because it brings out clearly that Suzman is still the rep.

I couldn't understand the second part of your question..can u explain again?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2007, 22:56
Hi dwivedys,I guess what goalsnr is trying to say is that in E:
"An unambitious suburban volunteer at the time she entered politics" should be followed by the noun it modifies ie. Mrs Suzman ( so that 'she' can have a reference) and not "for thirteen years" ...thats what I got confused about.

But I guess the intial phrase in E is modifying the noun and the prepositional phrase "for thirteen years" is just a middleman and can be eliminated for clear reference...Please correct me if I am wrong.

Edited: E changes the meaning as it says: for the last thirteen years she was unambitious suburban volunteer who entered politics.
Here are my answers:
1. D(edited)
2. C
3. D
4. C
5. B
6. A

Last edited by vineetgupta on 18 Apr 2007, 08:35, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2007, 23:31
vineetgupta wrote:
Hi dwivedys,I guess what goalsnr is trying to say is that in E:
"An unambitious suburban volunteer at the time she entered politics" should be followed by the noun it modifies ie. Mrs Suzman ( so that 'she' can have a reference) and not "for thirteen years"

Yes, for this very reason, I would eliminate E and choose D.
  [#permalink] 17 Apr 2007, 23:31