Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:54 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 488 [488]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [195]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 757 [66]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q50  V39
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [38]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
noboru wrote:
106. Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta effigies left by supplicants who were either asking the goddess Bona Dea’s aid in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help.
(A) in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help
(B) in healing physical and mental ills and to thank her for helping
(C) in healing physical and mental ills, and thanking her for helping
(D) to heal physical and mental ills or to thank her for such help
(E) to heal physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help

I am responding to a pm from sujit2k7.

This is from the OG --- it's SC #109 in the OG12. Here's the OA
OA = (A)

When the verb "to aid" is followed by a verb, then
(a) "aid" + "in" + [gerund] is correct according to the idiom
but
(b) "aid" + [infinitive] is incorrect idiomatically

Remember
gerund = the "-ing" form of a verb used as a noun -- "I like singing", "Eating vegetables is good for you."
infinitive = the standard dictionary-listing for a verb, preceded by the preposition "to" --- "to be or not to be"
See this blog for more on infinitives and infinitive phrases:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/infinitive ... -the-gmat/

If the word "aid" is used as a noun and followed by a noun, the person receiving the aid, then it would be OK to use "to" as the preposition following "aid"
e.g. "Does the United States give aid to Belize?"
Essentially, the word following "to" is an indirect object in this context. If you write an indirect object as a prepositional phrase, you always use the word "to."

I can think of casual contexts in which "aid for" might be used, but I can think of anything GMAT-worthy that would use that combination.

It's not enough just ask about which preposition to use. Context is everything. It matters very much whether "aid" is a verb followed by another verb, or whether "aid" is noun followed by another noun.

Does all this make sense?

Mike :-)
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
pusht wrote:
Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta effigies left by supplicants who were either asking the goddess Bona Dea's aid in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help.

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that the supplicants were either asking for the goddess Bona Dea's aid in the act of healing or thanking her for such help.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Idioms + Parallelism

• “neither A nor B” and “either A or B” are idiomatic uses and are only used when referring to two elements; A and B must be parallel.
• "aid + in" is preferred over "aid + to".
• Any elements linked by a conjunction ("and" in this sentence) must be parallel.

A: Correct. This answer choice correctly uses the idiomatic construction "either A ("asking the...mental ills") or B ("thanking her for such help")" and maintains parallelism between A and B, conveying the intended meaning - that the supplicants were either asking for the goddess Bona Dea's aid in the act of healing or thanking her for such help. Further, Option A uses the preferred construction "aid + in".

B: This answer choice incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "either A ("asking the...mental ills") and B ("to thank her for helping")" construction, leading to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that the supplicants were either asking for the goddess Bona Dea's aid in the act of healing or thanking her for such help; please remember, "either A or B" is the correct, idiomatic construction. Further, Option B fails to maintain parallelism between "asking the...mental ills" and "to thank her for helping"; please remember, any elements linked by a conjunction ("and" in this sentence) must be parallel.

C: his answer choice incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "either A ("asking the...mental ills") and B ("thanking her for helping")" construction, leading to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that the supplicants were either asking for the goddess Bona Dea's aid in the act of healing or thanking her for such help; please remember, "either A or B" is the correct, idiomatic construction.

D: This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between A ("asking the...mental ills") and B ("to thank her for such help") in the idiomatic construction "either A or B"; please remember, “either A or B” is an idiomatic usage and are only used when referring to two elements; A and B must be parallel. Further, Option D uses the idiomatic construction "aid + to" rather than "aid + in"; please remember, "aid + in" is preferred over "aid + to".

E: This answer choice uses the idiomatic construction "aid + to" rather than "aid + in"; please remember, "aid + in" is preferred over "aid + to".

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Either-Or" and "Neither-Nor" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [19]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Aid in + action (gerund) VS Aid to + person
Her aid in cleaning the injury is appreciated. VS The volunteer nurse provides aid to the patients.
(I referred to MGMAT strategy guide book)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1033 [3]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Thanks a Lot mike :wave

If I got it correct then
- Aid + to + who( to whom we r giving the aid)
- Aid +in + what ( what form of aid is given )...and aid in follows a gerund

Plz correct me if wrong

I have got one doubt. Are the below construction correct:
The NGO provides aid for the Tsunami victims.
The NGO provides aid to the Tsunami victims
The NGO provides aid in rebuilding the colony devastated in Tsunami.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [11]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sujit2k7 wrote:
I have got one doubt. Are the below construction correct:
The NGO provides aid for the Tsunami victims.
The NGO provides aid to the Tsunami victims
The NGO provides aid in rebuilding the colony devastated in Tsunami.

The NGO provides aid for the tsunami victims. = possibly something you will hear in informal spoken English, but for GMAT SC purposes, this is incorrect.

The NGO provides aid to the tsunami victims. = correct
The NGO provides aid in rebuilding the colony devastated in tsunami. = correct

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
noboru wrote:
106. Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta effigies left by supplicants who were either asking the goddess Bona Dea’s aid in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help.

I am responding to a pm from sujit2k7.

This is from the OG --- it's SC #109 in the OG12. Here's the OA
OA = (A)

When the verb "to aid" is followed by a verb, then
(a) "aid" + "in" + [gerund] is correct according to the idiom
but
(b) "aid" + [infinitive] is incorrect idiomatically

Remember
gerund = the "-ing" form of a verb used as a noun -- "I like singing", "Eating vegetables is good for you."
infinitive = the standard dictionary-listing for a verb, preceded by the preposition "to" --- "to be or not to be"
See this blog for more on infinitives and infinitive phrases:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/infinitive ... -the-gmat/

If the word "aid" is used as a noun and followed by a noun, the person receiving the aid, then it would be OK to use "to" as the preposition following "aid"
e.g. "Does the United States give aid to Belize?"
Essentially, the word following "to" is an indirect object in this context. If you write an indirect object as a prepositional phrase, you always use the word "to."

I can think of casual contexts in which "aid for" might be used, but I can think of anything GMAT-worthy that would use that combination.

It's not enough just ask about which preposition to use. Context is everything. It matters very much whether "aid" is a verb followed by another verb, or whether "aid" is noun followed by another noun.

this is most beautiful explanation. it looks nice that "aid in doing" is correct. but I do not see this idiom in dictionary.

second point is that

"healing" in A is gerund. this means, "healing" refers to a general action, not a specific action by a specific noun in the sentence.

"to heal" in E, in contrast, refers to "supplicant" . this means "supplicant ask the aid so that they can heal". this meaning is quite different from meaning in choice A and is the reason for elimination of E.

is my thinking correct? I very much want you to comment.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [0]
Expert Reply
vietmoi999 wrote:
this is most beautiful explanation. it looks nice that "aid in doing" is correct. but I do not see this idiom in dictionary.

second point is that

"healing" in A is gerund. this means, "healing" refers to a general action, not a specific action by a specific noun in the sentence.

"to heal" in E, in contrast, refers to "supplicant" . this means "supplicant ask the aid so that they can heal". this meaning is quite different from meaning in choice A and is the reason for elimination of E.

is my thinking correct? I very much want you to comment.

Dear vietmoi999,
Thank you very much for your kind words. I am happy to respond. :-)

I think you are analyzing far too much.
aid in [gerund] is idiomatically correct.
aid [infinitive] is awkward and idiomatically incorrect

It's hard for any dictionary to list every possible correct idiom. The best way to learn idioms is to read, read, read. Nothing replaces a daily habit of reading sophisticated writings in English. If you want some practice with idioms, here are some free Idiom Flashcards:
https://gmat.magoosh.com/flashcards/idioms

pusht wrote:
Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta effigies left by supplicants who were either asking the goddess Bona Dea's aid in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help.

(B) in healing physical and mental ills and to thank her for helping>>Parallelism is not ok.
(C) in healing physical and mental ills, and thanking her for helping>>parallelism is not ok.
(D) to heal physical and mental ills or to thank her for such help>>parallelism is not ok.
(E) to heal physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help>> it seems to me that 'to heal' (infinitive) is ok. BUT, why 'in healing' is ok??
Thanks...
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
iMyself wrote:
pusht wrote:

(B) in healing physical and mental ills and to thank her for helping>>Parallelism is not ok.
(C) in healing physical and mental ills, and thanking her for helping>>parallelism is not ok.
(D) to heal physical and mental ills or to thank her for such help>>parallelism is not ok.
(E) to heal physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help>> it seems to me that 'to heal' (infinitive) is ok. BUT, why 'in healing' is ok??
Thanks...

Look for a difference between "aid to" and "aid in".

You will get your answer. :-D
abhimahna wrote:
iMyself wrote:

Thanks...

Look for a difference between "aid to" and "aid in".

You will get your answer. :-D

There is no phrase in Cambridge dictionary like 'aid in' brother.
Attachments

aid to.PNG
aid to.PNG [ 20.99 KiB | Viewed 92758 times ]

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [3]