Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 01:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SC7

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

GMAT Sentence Correction (SC): SC 364/1000 [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2009, 02:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

52% (01:37) correct 48% (00:50) wrong based on 26 sessions
Hello, not sure why D (the OA) is better than A. Any thoughts?

In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics, most of the poetry of Pindar and Sappho, and dozens of plays by Aeschylus and Euripides.

(A) resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria,
(B) the destroying of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria resulted and
(C) because of the result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
(D) as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
(E) Alexandria’s largest library of the ancient world was destroyed, and the result was
SVP
SVP
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 439 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Sentence Correction (SC): SC 364/1000 [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2009, 06:31
superfreak wrote:

In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics, most of the poetry of Pindar and Sappho, and dozens of plays by Aeschylus and Euripides.

(A) resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria,
(B) the destroying of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria resulted and
(C) because of the result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
(D) as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
(E) Alexandria’s largest library of the ancient world was destroyed, and the result was

Rewrite the sentence A.

misplaced modifier... Later Generations modify the "resulting from destruction.."
Clearly it wrong : Later gnerations are not resulting from...

D clears this ambiguity.
As result of destruction, L.G lost library stuff.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 33

SC7 [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 08:41
Please explain....
Attachments

SC7.PNG
SC7.PNG [ 27.25 KiB | Viewed 2491 times ]

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC7 [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 19:24
I like d as well, as is used to introduce a dependent clause...
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 55 [1] , given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC7 [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 21:13
This post received
KUDOS
364. In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics, most of the poetry of Pindar and Sappho, and dozens of plays by Aeschylus and Euripides.

D properly modifies what happened in 391 A.D.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: SC7 [#permalink] New post 11 May 2010, 03:31
Please explain why what is wrong with 'E' and also, what makes 'E' to be correct.

Thanks
-H
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC7 [#permalink] New post 11 May 2010, 12:25
harikattamudi wrote:
Please explain why what is wrong with 'E' and also, what makes 'E' to be correct.

Thanks
-H

you have an idiom problem here, if you are going to say (the result was) you have to add (that) after was, and in E it's omitted.

Nanquam Fractum

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 62

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC7 [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 16:30
This is a GMAT Prep Question.....Some good explanations at this link -
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/mod ... 11131.html

Labor cost for typing this post >= Labor cost for pushing the Kudos Button
kudos-what-are-they-and-why-we-have-them-94812.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Sentence Correction (SC): SC 364/1000 [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 18:03
superfreak wrote:

elevinty wrote:
harikattamudi wrote:

Thanks
-H

you have an idiom problem here, if you are going to say (the result was) you have to add (that) after was, and in E it's omitted.

Hi Elevinty,

Buddy, We don't have any idiom like "result was that". The idiom for result are below :
as a result (of something)
because of something that has happened. As a result of the accident, Tom couldn't walk for six months. We couldn't afford to borrow money for a house as a result of the rise in interest rates.

result from something
to emerge from something; to be the outcome of something. It will be interesting to see what results from your efforts. Nothing resulted from all that work.

result in something
to achieve something; to bring about something; to cause something to happen. I hope that this will result in the police finding your car. All my effort resulted in nothing at all.

Hi superfreak,
Let's analyze original sentence after removing all middlemen (prepositional phrases).

In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction [strike]of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria[/strike], later generations lost all [strike]all but[/strike] (just using "except" for idiom "all but") the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics, most of the poetry[strike]of Pindarand Sappho[/strike] , and dozens of plays [strike]by Aeschylus and Euripides[/strike].
so sentence is :
In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction, later generations lost all except the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics,most of the poetry and dozens of plays.
Now we can see clearly that "resulting from the destruction" is modifying "Later Generation" which is wrong. The meaning of sentence is more or less that later generation which is resulting from the destruciton.
So A is wrong.

(B) the destroying [strike]of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria[/strike] resulted and
Here looks like, "destroying resulted" and "later generation" both lost something.
"because of the result of" comes many time in GMAT and this construction is wrong because of redundancy.
Correct and concise. as a result of destruction, later generation lost something.
(E) Alexandria’s largest library of the ancient world was destroyed, and the result was[/quote]
"Alexandria’s largest library of the ancient world was destroyed" is a complete sentence so can not be followed with "and the result was",
moreover for coordinating conjunction "and", both part should be parallel which is not the case here.

If any question, please revert.

I hope my explanation helped, If indeed please give me Kudos.

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything.
Thanks Rphardu

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 33

Re: GMAT Sentence Correction (SC): SC 364/1000 [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 12:06
This post received
KUDOS
rphardu wrote:
superfreak wrote:

elevinty wrote:
harikattamudi wrote:

Thanks
-H

Hi Elevinty,

Buddy, We don't have any idiom like "result was that". The idiom for result are below :
as a result (of something)
because of something that has happened. As a result of the accident, Tom couldn't walk for six months. We couldn't afford to borrow money for a house as a result of the rise in interest rates.

result from something
to emerge from something; to be the outcome of something. It will be interesting to see what results from your efforts. Nothing resulted from all that work.

result in something
to achieve something; to bring about something; to cause something to happen. I hope that this will result in the police finding your car. All my effort resulted in nothing at all.

Hi superfreak,
Let's analyze original sentence after removing all middlemen (prepositional phrases).

In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction [strike]of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria[/strike], later generations lost all [strike]all but[/strike] (just using "except" for idiom "all but") the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics, most of the poetry[strike]of Pindarand Sappho[/strike] , and dozens of plays [strike]by Aeschylus and Euripides[/strike].
so sentence is :
In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction, later generations lost all except the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics,most of the poetry and dozens of plays.
Now we can see clearly that "resulting from the destruction" is modifying "Later Generation" which is wrong. The meaning of sentence is more or less that later generation which is resulting from the destruciton.
So A is wrong.

(B) the destroying [strike]of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria[/strike] resulted and
Here looks like, "destroying resulted" and "later generation" both lost something.
"because of the result of" comes many time in GMAT and this construction is wrong because of redundancy.
Correct and concise. as a result of destruction, later generation lost something.

"Alexandria’s largest library of the ancient world was destroyed" is a complete sentence so can not be followed with "and the result was",
moreover for coordinating conjunction "and", both part should be parallel which is not the case here.

If any question, please revert.

I hope my explanation helped, If indeed please give me Kudos.[/quote]

I agree with your explanation except for the option E. First off, to use coordinating conjunction, I don't think both parts should be in parallel. The only requirement for coordinating conjunction is two independent clauses that should be related. And even if there is requirement for parallelism, I am not sure why "result was" is not in parallel. Could you please clarify?

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 57 [1] , given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Sentence Correction (SC): SC 364/1000 [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 21:06
This post received
KUDOS
sgupta0827 wrote:

I agree with your explanation except for the option E. First off, to use coordinating conjunction, I don't think both parts should be in parallel. The only requirement for coordinating conjunction is two independent clauses that should be related. And even if there is requirement for parallelism, I am not sure why "result was" is not in parallel. Could you please clarify?

Thanks buddy, What I meant by parallel was, coordinating conjunctions do not stress on any part like subordinate conjunctions do. Here option E, we shoudl have cause and effect relationship so both part can not be at same level and can not be connected by coordination conjucntion. You are right, I should have used word independent rather than "parallel".

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything.
Thanks Rphardu

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 16

Re: SC7 [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 21:13
We can look at it like this.

What caused the later generations to loose on the important sources of information.

It was because of the destruction of the library. In the answer choices given, D clearly explains the same with- as a result of ..... which is the correct idiomatic expression.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1525 [0], given: 248

Re: SC7 [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 06:27
Expert's post
As usual, let me give a forthright and simple pathway to this topic, which can get complicated by the way one looks at it.

Do not please bother for a moment about any other thing.
it is the library at Alexandria that is an issue. Any choice that separates library and at Alexandria is essentially therefore uses a wrong word-order. You can kick out A, B and E in one stroke. Between C and D, C is wrong because of the redundancy ‘of because of the result of’

Then make merry with D, the remainder.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: SC7   [#permalink] 23 Aug 2011, 06:27