Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 14:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Schistosomiasis, a disease caused by a parasitic worm, is

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Schistosomiasis, a disease caused by a parasitic worm, is [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 05:17
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (02:23) correct 52% (01:26) wrong based on 210 sessions
Question # 92 from the Verbal Review - 2nd Edition of the Official Guide - Sentence Correction (page 310)

Schistosomiasis, a disease caused by a parasitic worm, is prevalent in hot, humid climates, and it has become more widespread as irrigation projects have enlarged the habitat of THE FRESHWATER SNAILS THAT ARE THE PARASITE'S HOSTS FOR PART OF ITS LIFE CYCLE.

A. the freshwater snails that are the parasite's hosts for part of its life cycle
B. the freshwater snails that are the parasite's hosts in part of their life cycle
C. freshwater snails which becomes the parasite's hosts for part of its life cycles
D. freshwater snails which become the hosts of the parasite during the parasite's life cycles
E. parasite's hosts, freshwater snails which become their hosts during their life cycles

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I said B, which I can see how it's wrong because after reading the answers I understood they meant the life cycle is of the parasite, not the host - so my mistake was more in the meaning of the sentence rather than grammar.

The right answer is A - my questions is this: in MGMAT sentence correction book I remember reading that one should be very careful using a pronoun of a possessive term and that it's usually incorrect. So in A, they are saying that "its" refers to parasite's - this seems wrong. Does anyone else agree? Or am I misunderstanding something? To me it is not clear what "it" refers to because the term parasite is in a possessive term.

Please help :)

Thanks a lot!!
G
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Status: exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Pronoun of a possessive - question from official quide [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 06:06
simple singular plural thing can eliminate all the wrong options

just one more month for exam...

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pronoun of a possessive - question from official quide [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 06:44
mohan514, thanks for your reply.

I see that part now but, like i mentioned, what confused me was that i thought they meant that the life cycle was of the snails, not of the parasite, in which case my answer B would have been correct ( i misunderstood the meaning). so the way i understood it, option A would have actually been wrong because "snails" (plural) doesn't work with "its" (singular), so I eliminated for that reason. So I see why it's not B for this particular question, but I was asking more in general about the concept of a pronoun referring to something in a possessive form. I thought the rule was that you cannot do this?

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Status: exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Pronoun of a possessive - question from official quide [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 07:11
thats what is sc concerned with...

read the question carefully and never eliminate option by making assumptions

all the best for your prep when ll you give your exam by the way???

just one more month for exam...

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IE '15 (M)
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pronoun of a possessive - question from official quide [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 03:05
tricky - only got it after reviewing the answers again.

IMO "A" as it is the only valid answer with singular (parasit) options
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Pronoun of a possessive - question from official quide [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 16:29
Good question. Thanks for sharing
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 17

Re: Pronoun of a possessive - question from official quide [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2012, 08:13
Can some explain when in the same sentence it <any pronoun> can have two references?
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GPA: 2.8

Kudos [?]: 24 [2] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Pronoun of a possessive - question from official quide [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2012, 15:34
This post received
KUDOS
getzonator wrote:
mohan514, thanks for your reply.

I see that part now but, like i mentioned, what confused me was that i thought they meant that the life cycle was of the snails, not of the parasite, in which case my answer B would have been correct ( i misunderstood the meaning). so the way i understood it, option A would have actually been wrong because "snails" (plural) doesn't work with "its" (singular), so I eliminated for that reason. So I see why it's not B for this particular question, but I was asking more in general about the concept of a pronoun referring to something in a possessive form. I thought the rule was that you cannot do this?

Thanks.

Its here is not referring to possessive parasite but instead the first referred worm

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1594 [4] , given: 249

Re: Pronoun of a possessive - question from official quide [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2012, 21:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
MGMAT( in a reversal form its earlier rigid stand perhaps) says that the issue of possessive poison is not worth worrying about, since there has been hardly any case that has been rejected on the score of the possessive pronoun’s antecedence in the realm of GMAT.

The take away of possessive pronoun custom is;

1. A possessive pronoun can stand for a possessive noun
2. A possessive pronoun can stand for a non- possessive noun
3. A non possessive pronoun can stand for a non- possessive noun.
4. The only case where it can‘t be accepted is when a
Non- possessive is used to stand for a possessive noun

A. the freshwater snails that are the parasite's hosts for part of its life cycle --- here its is possessive and parasite’s is possessive. So ther is no issue. correct choice
B. the freshwater snails that are the parasite's hosts in part of their life cycle – pronoun number agreement
C. freshwater snails which becomes the parasite's hosts for part of its life cycles—snails which becomes – S-V mismatch
D. freshwater snails which become the hosts of the parasite during the parasite's life cycles--- how many life cycles does the parasite have? Secondly do all the hosts have one parasite? Illogical
E. parasite's hosts, freshwater snails which become their hosts during their life cycles— parasite is singular while the there is a plural pronoun.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1594 [1] , given: 249

Re: Pronoun of a possessive - question from official quide [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2012, 21:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
@ pavanpuneet

If you are referring to the topic in front, then perhaps there is no issue. The first it refers to the subject of the first IC in a compound sentence, which is correct.
The purported second It, which is not part of this issue, is in fact not it but the possessive its, which stands for the parasite’s, a possessive noun.

But generally speaking, one and the same pronoun referring to two different nouns, is grammatically incorrect, unless context demands so and the contexts are totally disconnected.in

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 615 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Pronoun of a possessive - question from official quide [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 02:52
Expert's post
I initially chose B.
My doubt is why can't the answer be B. I mean meaning-wise B is also correct, though it distorts the meaning. So can anyone tell me whether the sole reason to eliminate B is that it diverts itself away from the intended meaning OR is there some other reason?
If, meaning-wise, two outcomes are plausible then how can I deduce that this particular meaning is correct and the other is not?

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 53

Re: Pronoun of a possessive - question from official quide [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 04:08
is the subject not Schistosomiasis ?
if it is the subject then "its" should refer to that subject right?

in that case Schistosomiasis is singular ( because any disease is taken as singular) so answer should be "A".

your comments on this, please......
Manager
Manager
Schools: CBS '16
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

Re: Pronoun of a possessive - question from official quide [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2013, 08:10
I also thought that GMAT was consistent in pronoum-references. But it seems not to be the case; as far as I could scoop, a possessive pronoun does not necessarily creates a reference to previous pronoun. This is the take away here.

leaderz wrote:
is the subject not Schistosomiasis ?
if it is the subject then "its" should refer to that subject right?

in that case Schistosomiasis is singular ( because any disease is taken as singular) so answer should be "A".

your comments on this, please......
Manager
Manager
Schools: CBS '16
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

Re: Pronoun of a possessive - question from official quide [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2013, 08:13
According to the offficial answer, "in part" is not an adequate usage to indicate duration. I believe that "in part" is better expressed to anticipate explanations.

Marcab wrote:
I initially chose B.
My doubt is why can't the answer be B. I mean meaning-wise B is also correct, though it distorts the meaning. So can anyone tell me whether the sole reason to eliminate B is that it diverts itself away from the intended meaning OR is there some other reason?
If, meaning-wise, two outcomes are plausible then how can I deduce that this particular meaning is correct and the other is not?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 291

Re: Schistosomiasis, a disease caused by a parasitic worm, is [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2013, 18:48
I almost chose D until I read 'life cycles'. The only option that remains open is A
Re: Schistosomiasis, a disease caused by a parasitic worm, is   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2013, 18:48