Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 15:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Schliemann determined at the age of seven to find the site

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 54 [1] , given: 66

Schliemann determined at the age of seven to find the site [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2010, 07:20
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

31% (02:01) correct 69% (00:41) wrong based on 23 sessions
Schliemann determined at the age of seven to find the site of ancient Troy and devoted his subsequent career to do it.
A. …
B. Has devoted his subsequent career to do that
C. Devoted his subsequent career to such an end
D. Has devoted his subsequent career for that
E. Devoted his subsequent career to that end

I posted the q as is.

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!

"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

Retired Moderator
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 41

GMAT Tests User
Re: Brutal SC 5 [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2010, 11:47
I think the answer choice should be C, because the sentence cant end with that, to do it, and within splits C and E.. C is better

OA pls

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/

Amazing Platform

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 250 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Brutal SC 5 [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2010, 11:56
IMO, it is E.

I think C should be "such end".

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Brutal SC 5 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 09:03
This post received
KUDOS
The OA is E.

Is there a problem with the construction of the sentence as a whole or is it just me?

Shouldn't the sentence read "Schliemann, determined at the age of seven to find the site of ancient Troy, devoted his subsequent career to that end."

Or

"Schliemann was determined at the age of seven to find the site of ancient Troy and he devoted his subsequent career to that end."

-Nelson Mandela

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 66

Re: Brutal SC 5 [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2011, 06:50
mariyea wrote:
The OA is E.

Is there a problem with the construction of the sentence as a whole or is it just me?

Shouldn't the sentence read "Schliemann, determined at the age of seven to find the site of ancient Troy, devoted his subsequent career to that end."

Or

"Schliemann was determined at the age of seven to find the site of ancient Troy and he devoted his subsequent career to that end."

Can someone answer my question please? I really don't understand how that can be constructed.

-Nelson Mandela

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1429 [0], given: 245

Re: Brutal SC 5 [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2011, 08:25
Expert's post
mariyea@ Your first sentence is a simple sentence with the following construction.

Subject + modifier phrase+ verb+ object – this is quite grammatical. However,
In the text, the author does not want to use this simple construction. He wants to use a compound sentence by using two independent clauses and joining them by the conjunction ‘and’ -

For this sake,he uses two simple past verbs namely ‘determined and devoted’ . Probably the author would have been clearer, if he had used the verb decided rather than determined. The pronoun ‘he’ would become redundant in such compound constructions in which the subject of the first part can act as the subject of the second part and therefore we are required to drop it.

Your second sentence is close to the text but with crucial differences Yours is using passive voice for the first part and an active voice for the second part and to that extent is flawed in llism; in addition the use of pronoun ‘he’ is unnecessary.

I think the text is measuring the construction of compound sentences and the need to avoid redundancy of a subject or a pronoun in such cases.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Brutal SC 5 [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2011, 12:53
daagh wrote:
mariyea@ Your first sentence is a simple sentence with the following construction.

Subject + modifier phrase+ verb+ object – this is quite grammatical. However,
In the text, the author does not want to use this simple construction. He wants to use a compound sentence by using two independent clauses and joining them by the conjunction ‘and’ -

For this sake,he uses two simple past verbs namely ‘determined and devoted’ . Probably the author would have been clearer, if he had used the verb decided rather than determined. The pronoun ‘he’ would become redundant in such compound constructions in which the subject of the first part can act as the subject of the second part and therefore we are required to drop it.

Your second sentence is close to the text but with crucial differences Yours is using passive voice for the first part and an active voice for the second part and to that extent is flawed in llism; in addition the use of pronoun ‘he’ is unnecessary.

I think the text is measuring the construction of compound sentences and the need to avoid redundancy of a subject or a pronoun in such cases.

@daagh, Yes you're right about the first and second sentence. But let's take out the 'he' from the second clause in the second sentence doesn't it have a better grammatical construction then.

And isn't it better constructed that way rather than leaving out the verb 'was'????

-Nelson Mandela

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Brutal SC 5 [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2011, 15:17
This post received
KUDOS
"Schliemann was determined at the age of seven to find the site of ancient Troy."
The way I see it:
Two problems in this construction
1) If you say "Schilemann was determined" this means he was determined in the past but not anymore in the present = and that is not the intended meaning of the sentence because the sentence says he devoted his life to that goal.
2) if you say Schilemann was determined = this is passive, meaning generally you have to end the sentence with "by something"
in another words your sentence will look like this: Schilemann was determined to find troy by "some agent", which is illogical thing to say.

Nanquam Fractum

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Brutal SC 5 [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 11:12
elevinty wrote:
"Schliemann was determined at the age of seven to find the site of ancient Troy."
The way I see it:
Two problems in this construction
1) If you say "Schilemann was determined" this means he was determined in the past but not anymore in the present = and that is not the intended meaning of the sentence because the sentence says he devoted his life to that goal.
2) if you say Schilemann was determined = this is passive, meaning generally you have to end the sentence with "by something"
in another words your sentence will look like this: Schilemann was determined to find troy by "some agent", which is illogical thing to say.

How about if I said, "Schilemann is determined..." or "Schilemann has been determined..."?

-Nelson Mandela

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Brutal SC 5 [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 11:45
think about this
if you say: Schilemann is determined at the age of seven to find the site of ancient Troy.
does this sentence make sense?
from the sentence we understand that he is an adult, so how can you say that he(adult) is(now) determined at the age of seven(past).......
2) Schilemann has been determined... why would you use present perfect here, grammatically it might be okay but stick to simple tense if the sentence allows you; besides, it conveys a better meaning if you used simple past tense.
hope this helps.....

Nanquam Fractum

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Brutal SC 5 [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 13:00
This post received
KUDOS
elevinty wrote:
think about this
if you say: Schilemann is determined at the age of seven to find the site of ancient Troy.
does this sentence make sense?
from the sentence we understand that he is an adult, so how can you say that he(adult) is(now) determined at the age of seven(past).......
2) Schilemann has been determined... why would you use present perfect here, grammatically it might be okay but stick to simple tense if the sentence allows you; besides, it conveys a better meaning if you used simple past tense.
hope this helps.....

Good one! I give in :) Thanks Eleventy!

-Nelson Mandela

Re: Brutal SC 5   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2011, 13:00