Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 20:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Schliemann determined at the age of seven to find the site

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: IIM A '15
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 158 [1] , given: 297

Premium Member CAT Tests
Schliemann determined at the age of seven to find the site [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 00:06
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

45% (01:45) correct 55% (00:44) wrong based on 130 sessions
15. Schliemann determined at the age of seven to find the site of ancient Troy and devoted his subsequent career to do it.

A. devoted his subsequent career to do it
B. has devoted his subsequent career to do that
C. devoted his subsequent career to such an end
D. has devoted his subsequent career for that
E. devoted his subsequent career to that end

Source: Brutal Sc's
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Rgds,
TGC!

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1184

Kudos [?]: 3134 [2] , given: 176

Re: Schliemann determined at the age of seven [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 15:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi all,

e-gmat team wishes you all a very Happy New Year.

Schliemann determined at the age of seven to find the site of ancient Troy and devoted his subsequent career to do it.

Let me straight away get to the ERROR ANALYSIS as the meaning of this one is not difficult to understand.

1. Both “determined” and “devoted” are the verbs for the subject “Schliemann” and are connected properly. However, the pronoun “it” does not have a proper antecedent. A pronoun must refer to a noun or a pronoun. Here “it” seems to denote to the action suggested by “to find the site…”. This is incorrect.

PoE:

A. devoted his subsequent career to do it: Incorrect for the reason cited above.

B. has devoted his subsequent career to do that: Incorrect.
1. Use of present perfect tense “has” is incorrect as the context is sentence is set in the past.
2. Pronoun “that” does not have any antecedent. Same error as in choice A.

C. devoted his subsequent career to such an end: Incorrect. Use of “such” is not correct here as it fails to refer to the particular task mentioned in the sentence.

D. has devoted his subsequent career for that: Incorrect. Same “that” reference error as in choice B.

E. devoted his subsequent career to that end: Correct. Here “that” is a pronoun that refers to the articular idea complemented by “end”.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: July 26, 2014 - Ace GMAT RC: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to apply the Reading Strategies critical to ace the GMAT Reading Comprehension. Click here to register.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 2.8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 42

CAT Tests
Re: Schliemann determined at the age of seven to find the site [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2014, 08:42
This post received
KUDOS
Schliemann determined at the age of seven to find the site of ancient Troy and devoted his subsequent career to do it.

"to do it" to do what ??? to do ancient site of Troy ?? illogical.. it has no clear referrent.

present perfect doesn't make sense
"to such an end" seems to suggest that author is trying to present an example which is illogical.
has is wrong
Correct. "to that end" here that is referring back to the cause for which Schliemann determined...

Consider KUDOS if my post helped :)

Director
Director
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 354 [0], given: 241

Re: Schliemann determined at the age of seven [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 05:08
targetgmatchotu wrote:
15. Schliemann determined at the age of seven to find the site of ancient Troy and devoted his subsequent career to do it.

Can someone kindly explain the difference between C & E. I can infer that "SUCH or THAT" stands for "To find the site of ancient troy"
I am confused between the use of "Such" & " That" (use of THAT apart from Relative pronoun).
Is "THAT" working as Pro-verb in this case.

Waiting eagerly for response.

Regards,
Fame

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 44

Re: Schliemann determined at the age of seven [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 05:34
targetgmatchotu wrote:

Oh surprise !!!! i chose D !!
Why to use word "end" here after relative pronoun ?

i feel "that end" is not complete clause !
can any one comment on this?

GMAT - Practice, Patience, Persistence
Kudos if u like :)

Expert Post
Followers: 241

Kudos [?]: 2047 [0], given: 677

Re: Schliemann determined at the age of seven [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 07:01
Expert's post
shanmugamgsn wrote:
targetgmatchotu wrote:

Oh surprise !!!! i chose D !!
Why to use word "end" here after relative pronoun ?

i feel "that end" is not complete clause !
can any one comment on this?

But doesn't have much sense if you do not concentrate first of all on the meaning of the sentence

has devoted is wrong because he devoted to reseach on this site BEFORE discovered it is wrong and also not parallel

C seems that he devoted to this end plus others; instead the meaning to this end above all END. In other words, he devoted himself to this supreme end

so E is correct

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension

TOEFL iBT
Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT

VP
VP
Followers: 200

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Schliemann determined at the age of seven to find the site [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2014, 07:47
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Schliemann determined at the age of seven to find the site   [#permalink] 15 Apr 2014, 07:47