Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 18:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scholars who once thought Native American literatures were

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Scholars who once thought Native American literatures were [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2004, 06:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (01:46) correct 21% (01:06) wrong based on 28 sessions
Scholars who once thought Native American literatures were solely oral narratives recorded by missionaries or anthropologists now understand this body of work to consist of both oral literatures and the written works of Native American authors, who have been publishing since 1772.

A) Scholars who once thought Native American literatures were soley oral narratives

B) Scholars thinking of Native American listeratures once solely as oral narratives, and

C) Scholars who once had thought of Native American literatures solely as oral narratives and

D) Native American literatures, which some scholars once thought were solely oral narratives

E) Native American literatures, which some scholars once, thinking they were soley oral narratives

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Questions:

I narrowed it down to 2 answer choices (which i'll post after some discussion). I'm sure most people will narrow it down to 2 Answer Choices. I'd like to know why you chose one over the other.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by PiyushK on 09 Jul 2014, 07:55, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Re: Scholars who once thought Native American literatures were [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2004, 07:27
My answer is D.

I feel "were" in first sentence refers to "Scholars".
Manager
Manager

Re: Scholars who once thought Native American literatures were [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2004, 09:35
gmataquaguy wrote:
Scholars who once thought Native American literatures were solely oral narratives recorded by missionaries or anthropologists now understand this body of work to consist of both oral literatures and the written works of Native American authors, who have been publishing since 1772.

A) Scholars who once thought Native American literature were soley oral narratives

B) Scholars thinking of Native American listeratures once solely as oral narratives, and

C) Scholars who once had thought of Native American literatures solely as oral narratives and

D) Native American literatures, which some scholars once thought were solely oral narratives

E) Native American literatures, which some scholars once, thinking they were soley oral narratives

Questions:

I narrowed it down to 2 answer choices (which i'll post after some discussion). I'm sure most people will narrow it down to 2 Answer Choices. I'd like to know why you chose one over the other.

I think it is A. The "had" is not necessary(C). For 'had', we need to have two events that the first happened prior to the second one and both happened in the past. As in this case, scholars once thought [...] and now understand ...
Director
Director

Re: Scholars who once thought Native American literatures were [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2004, 11:47
For the people who chose "A" can you elaborate on why you eliminated "D". Grammatically what is wrong with D?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Scholars who once thought Native American literatures were [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2004, 11:54
gmataquaguy wrote:
For the people who chose "A" can you elaborate on why you eliminated "D". Grammatically what is wrong with D?

Becaues D seems to imply that Native American literatures are 'now understanding', when its the scholars who are now understanding.
Director
Director

Re: Scholars who once thought Native American literatures were [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2004, 12:14
Good Call. Nice catch SigEPUCI.......

THis makes perfect sense.
Director
Director

Re: Scholars who once thought Native American literatures were [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2004, 15:05
The OA is A. I see/understand my folly.....Thanks for the explanation.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 278 [0], given: 2

Re: Scholars who once thought Native American literatures were [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2011, 03:51
My issue with the OA, which is A, is that I thought that the idiom was think of X as Y. Becasuse of that I went with B.
Could anybody clarify?
Thanks.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 13

Re: Scholars who once thought Native American literatures were [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2012, 06:34
I will vote for A and not D because

Ans choice A

main Clause -
Scholars {subordinate clause} now understand this body of work to consist of both oral literatures and the written works of Native American authors
subject: Scholars
Verb: understand

subordinate clause -
who once thought Native American literatures were solely oral narratives recorded by missionaries or anthropologists
Subject: Who --> refers to Scholars from main clause
verb: were

the verb-ed modifer "recorded" refers to narratives

Subordinate clause -
who have been publishing since 1772 - Here "who" refers to the Scholars
Subject: Who refers to Scholars from the main clause
Verb: have been publishing

Ans Choice D

Native American literatures, which some scholars once thought were solely oral narratives recorded by missionaries or anthropologists now understand this body of work to consist of both oral literatures and the written works of Native American authors, who have been publishing since 1772.

main clause -
Native American literatures, {subordinate clause} now understand this body of work to consist of both oral literatures and the written works of Native American authors
subject - Native American literatures
verb - understand
Native American literatures understand -> wrong doesnot make sense

subordinate clause -
which some scholars once thought were solely oral narratives recorded by missionaries or anthropologists
Subject - Which - refers to Native American literatures from main clause
verb - were

subordinate clause -
who have been publishing since 1772
subject - who - refers to Native American literatures from main clause
verb - works
Native American literatures works -> wrong doesnot make sense
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3669 [0], given: 185

Re: Scholars who once thought Native American literatures were [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2012, 07:33
Expert's post
noboru wrote:
My issue with the OA, which is A, is that I thought that the idiom was think of X as Y. Becasuse of that I went with B.
Could anybody clarify?
Thanks.

Hi Noboru,

You are correct about the idiom that reads “think of X as Y”. However, this sentence is not using this idiom. Let’s look at the sentence structure here:

If you carefully read the portion after “thought” you will see we have a clause there that reads:
Native American literatures were solely oral narratives recorded by missionaries or anthropologists

Here, Native American literatures is the subject and “were” is the verb. What is not present here is a “that” to separate this clause with the previous clause “who once thought”. This “that” is not present here because we really do not need it there.

Generally, we find the error with usage of the idiom you have mentioned in the sense that the wording is made incorrect, say “as” has been turned into “to be”, or something similar. Here, through a clause the sentence is saying what the scholars thought once.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Scholars who once thought Native American literatures were [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2014, 22:57

A. Scholars who once thought Native American literatures were solely oral narratives
B. Scholars thinking of Native American literatures once solely as oral narratives, and - thinking - refers to scholars and recorded - refers to NAL (sounds weird)
C. Scholars who once had thought of Native American literatures solely as oral narratives and- had thought - refers to scholars and recorded - refers to NAL (sounds weird)
D. Native American literatures, which some scholars once thought were solely oral narratives - subject is literature here - should be scholars
E. Native American literatures, which some scholars once, thinking they were solely oral narratives - subject is literature here - should be scholars

Kudos my back and I Kudos your back

Re: Scholars who once thought Native American literatures were   [#permalink] 07 Jul 2014, 22:57