Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Duke (R1-int/WL), UCLA (R1), Haas (R2-int/WL-ding), Cornell - R3 (Accepted with $$), , Darden Class of 2013 (R2)
WE 1: 4 years non profit management
WE 2: 2 years real estate
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Re: Scholarship [#permalink]
Very, very few students will receive scholarships that cover the full cost of attendance (tuition + living expenses). You should plan on using loans, savings or other financial means as well as any scholarships you receive.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Jerz, how much saving should be enough in addition to scholarships? Saying that I will be with my wife.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
h110us wrote:
Jerz, how much saving should be enough in addition to scholarships? Saying that I will be with my wife.

I'm expecting to spend $160-190,000 for tuition and living expense. And this is for schools in NY and Chicago. The cost would probably go down a bit if I was applying to schools that aren't in big expensive cities.

And quite frankly, I am not anticipating any scholarships. I'll have to fund most all of it through loans (federal, private, and family)

Check out poetsandquants.com. It has lots of information on living expenses during your MBA
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Kudos
h110us wrote:

It's nearly impossible to answer that question, since so much depends on which school you go to, how generous their scholarships are, how well you qualify for scholarships, cost of living in the city the school is in, etc. MDF's estimate of $160,000-$190,000 is probably a bit on the high end for Chicago but not unreasonable. But then I have friends at Fuqua who pay 1/3 what I did in rent so their total costs are going to be much less. Each school publishes estimates of total cost of attendance, which includes estimated living costs based on what students tell the financial aid office they spend. You should look at those to get a better idea what the school will cost. As for how much to expect to borrow, going into it you shouldn't plan on using scholarships since it's so hard to say whether any scholarship money will be coming. Rather, plan on financing the whole amount through loans and savings, then any scholarships you do get are a bonus and can reduce the amount you borrow.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thanks so much for asking that question about scholarships. I think that you will want to make sure that you take the scholarship question really seriously. I know from experience at Wharton that many people are exhausted after actually applying that they "throw darts at" the scholarship essay just to see what may happen. To me, its just as important as the rest of the application and should be planned accordingly.
GMAT Club Bot