Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 16:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scholarship advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas Darden Ross Booth Sloan (that's right, HDRBS)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 5

Scholarship advice [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 09:44
Hi, I have been talking to consultants and they all seem to think I am competitive at all the top programs. The problem for me is money, which I don't have a lot of due to tuition at some expensive schools in the near and not so near past. Still saddled with debt.

So, my questions are these. How far down the food chain will I need to look to find great scholarships? Heard that some schools will just buy your score (770).

And, is it worth it, matriculating at a sub-tier program for issues of cost? Starting salaries don't seem to have huge discrepancies until you get to H or S, and I am of the opinion that your performance and networking skills will get you wherever you want to go after that. I wonder if there are glass ceilings that someone coming from say _____ would face vs someone coming from Sloan/Haas/Hwarton :??? .

The end is only the beginning.

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Scholarship advice [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 18:59
Expert's post
Great questions. Some will disagree with me on this, but over the long haul, where you went to school matters less and less and your advancement and success is much more reliant on your performance and personal drive. Therefore, as long as you can gain access to that first job you need after graduation, the school will essentially have served its purpose. I am assuming you are staying in the top tier (and with a score of 770, assuming you have good WE, I would definitely stay top 10). There would be no reason for you to have to drop below the top 10 with those kind of credentials, and I am willing to wager you will be offered money by several schools assuming your package is as compelling as your GMAT score. Having said all that, you definitely want to pick the school you are most comfortable with wearing the sweatshirt for the rest of your life. The MBA is a terminal degree, so it should be your last stop on the academic train. For this reason, it might be better to choose school A over school B, if school A really fits you well but offers you marginally less money than school B. Partial scholarships abound at most schools, so don't just hold out for a "full ride." You'll make enough dough during your internship to pay for some of it, and your signing bonus should cover most of what's left if you have the discipline to skip the new car. Congrats, by the way on your achievement. You clearly have done the heavy lifting to get in a top school, and getting in is the hard part--the rest will be easy in comparison. B-school is a lot of work, but nobody fails out.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas Darden Ross Booth Sloan (that's right, HDRBS)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 5

Re: Scholarship advice [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 22:13
Hi, Bryant, thanks for the informative response. I appreciate it. I'm an Environmental Engineer (4 yrs FT) going to B-school to learn to quantify Env impacts (legislative and internal initiatives, i.e. getting some certification or whatever) and use them to inform strategy, ostensibly of course. I have an interesting extra curricular, but I don't want to out myself. What are your thoughts; do schools peruse these forums?

The end is only the beginning.

Re: Scholarship advice   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2010, 22:13