Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 12:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scholarship awards more random than admissions?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Scholarship awards more random than admissions? [#permalink] New post 11 May 2007, 08:55
This post received
KUDOS
There is a student I am matriculating with that had the most awkward scholarship offers, basically the highest ranked school he was accepted to gave him the most $$ and the lowest one he was accepted to gave him 0, this trend was consistent among 4 schools. What do you think the reasons were, it seems that the highest school would give the least and the lowest the most and the disparity in the ranking from the extremes was about 19 places.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 May 2007, 09:34
Perhaps the higher ranked schools had more money to give.
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 May 2007, 12:00
There could be many factors influencing the situation.

1) What dukes said.
2) Different scholarship criteria in between the schools. For some schools, scholarships are a way to attract students while for some other schools scholarships are need based only. This means that they assess the overall financial situation of the students (based on past salaries, assets and liabilities) and define how much money to give.
3) Some schools may be struggling to get their target yields from a particular group within their applicant pool. Eg: let's say school X wants to have an increase in the number of students with, for eg: IB backgrounds, Russian Language knowledge and 780+ GMATs. They do get the right number of apps. and admit about the right number of applicants from this pool but these applicants consistently choose not to enroll in school X. School X then decides to increase the amount of money offered to students from within this pool. Likewise, they would not offer that much money to the "dime a dozen" admits, because recent history shows them that most of them enroll anyway.

So that's my SWAG* answer to your question.

*SWAG = Scientific Wild @ss Guess
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 May 2007, 17:26
I was thinking the same thing, actually. I got scholarships from 3 schools: 2 elites, 1 trans-elite. I got the same money (ok, a $2k spread) from all three. I am apparently worth exactly that much. (I will be reviewing back-up offers for anyone who wants to place a bid.)
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 May 2007, 17:42
You mean like an hourly rate or something? :lol:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Scholarship awards more random than admissions? [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2008, 16:47
Hi guys,

Do you know any university who have granted (or is offering) a scholarship to a graduate applicant with the an undergraduate GPA of 3.80 and GMAT 610?
(GPA and GMAT score may vary: GPA +- 0.20 and GMAT +-20)

Thanks.
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Scholarship awards more random than admissions? [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2008, 17:59
Um, I don't think it really works that way.

Schools give scholarships to students for a variety of reasons. I think it's generally about achieving diversity measures (they want to get that astronaut or whatever) or wooing students away from more highly-ranked schools. (Some say the Park program at Cornell is really about "buying" high GMAT scores.)

One good friend at Duke got a full ride -- with a ~630 GMAT and work experience that is only marginally unique. I don't know what his undergrad GPA was, though.

All this is to say that it's pretty hard to nail down just what wins a scholarship.
Re: Scholarship awards more random than admissions?   [#permalink] 20 Jan 2008, 17:59