Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 19:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

scholarships/financial aid

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
scholarships/financial aid [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2008, 06:23
just wondering if it would be useful to have a thread focused on scholarships and financial aid. perhaps some tips/tricks that some people are aware of?
Current Student
Schools: R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: scholarships/financial aid [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2008, 06:32
Great idea! It's scary that I have to start thinking about that now!
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: scholarships/financial aid [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2008, 06:38
i'll start off with a question...what to do about my savings account? Won't having a decent amount of cash in a savings account work against me when being considered for aid/scholarships? If so, what am I to do w/ it?
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: scholarships/financial aid [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2008, 06:41
young_gun wrote:
i'll start off with a question...what to do about my savings account? Won't having a decent amount of cash in a savings account work against me when being considered for aid/scholarships? If so, what am I to do w/ it?

you can give it to me
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: scholarships/financial aid [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2008, 07:11
young_gun wrote:

I'm new to this, but at Ross' Super Saturday this conversation came up. Apparently, there are quite a few out there that move their savings around by "gifting" it to family members. This shows that you have less to contribute via personal funds which usually means you'll receive more financial aid. However, this is very unethical and I believe it's technically ILLEGAL.

On this topic, does anyone know of good resources (books, websites, etc.) for graduate financial aid and scholarships?
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: scholarships/financial aid [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2008, 07:45
Very few schools (HBS only perhaps?) will offer scholarships based on financial need. Assuming you're a US Citizen, your financial aid application, which will take your savings into consideration to determine financial need, will mostly be used to determine eligibility for subsidized Stafford loans.

For a few hundred dollars in interest payments, do you really want to engage in actions of questionable ethical standing? Your conscience not mine.

There was a great Financial Aid thread there in the B-School Life forum, not sure if it's still around? This question probably gets asked every year anyway so search through older posts.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: scholarships/financial aid [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2008, 07:49
Quote:
Very few schools (HBS only perhaps?) will offer scholarships based on financial need. Assuming you're a US Citizen, your financial aid application, which will take your savings into consideration to determine financial need, will mostly be used to determine eligibility for subsidized Stafford loans.

For a few hundred dollars in interest payments, do you really want to engage in actions of questionable ethical standing? Your conscience not mine.

Listen to solaris....he is scholarship wait list master...
He must have researched this issue thoroughly :P

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: scholarships/financial aid [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2008, 07:50
I believe financial aid is based of your tax returns, not your savings account. So I am not sure if moving money around will make a difference..

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: scholarships/financial aid [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2008, 08:28
For financial aid, do they look at your current state or expected state? Right now, my wife and I are both working so our income is substantial. However, once we move and go back to school she won't have a job and if she finds one it will be much lower paying.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: scholarships/financial aid [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2008, 08:30
I believe it's your current state. Once you leave your job and your wife switches to a lower paying one too, you can appeal your financial aid award and it would be adjusted to reflected your "expected" state.

cpgmba wrote:
For financial aid, do they look at your current state or expected state? Right now, my wife and I are both working so our income is substantial. However, once we move and go back to school she won't have a job and if she finds one it will be much lower paying.

An yea whatever ninkorny.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 693 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: scholarships/financial aid [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2008, 09:07
Max out your Roth IRA for this year and next year, if you are married both of you should do this. You can take money out of there whenever you want without penalty as long as you only touch they principle. Buy things you are gonna need/want for school, so get that new suit and shoes, get some shirts and dress pants, ties, new backpack, and any toys you may want (be reasonable do you really need a new 65" TV you wont watch or car you wont drive?). Also usually you put your estimates of what you will have as of September...so subtract out estimated moving expenses, first/last/security deposits for your apartment, laptop, and stuff like that.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: scholarships/financial aid [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2008, 11:02
One of the few financial advantages to working at a non-profit is that I make very little money (especially compared to many of my incoming B-schooler peers), which makes me suspect that I'll get offered better scholarship deals. Much like Sarah Palin, I ain't exactly flat busted... but just making that deposit come April is gonna be tough.

Like the poster above, my understanding is that few schools straight up offer you free money - for U.S. citizens, we're mostly just talking about subsidized versus non-sub loans, right? And when applying for loans, am I basically claiming all kinds of living expenses for the coming year so I can borrow more money to live on? So is my financial disadvantage going into this whole process even a factor?
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: scholarships/financial aid [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2008, 11:10
Ntang, it really depends on your situation. I don't know how much money you make, but you might get preferential treatment for institutional loan programs funded by the business schools themselves, which are a WAY better deal than the Federal Stafford and PLUS programs. These are typically awarded based on financial need. For instance, Tuck has a 5% loan program based on financial need.

Spreading around your savings account or socking away extra money in IRAs 401(k)s might not make a difference. At schools like Columbia, your retirement savings ARE considered to be available for financing your MBA. The fact that you're from a non-profit background might make you eligible for some sort of fellowship funding restricted to applicants from atypical backgrounds such as yourself.

Hence, your "financial disadvantage" would most likely result is some kind of financial advantage when it came to funding your MBA education.
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth, Class of 2011

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: scholarships/financial aid [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2008, 12:12
I'm not sure about you guys, but my current salary is about $120K, and Chicago offered me a fellowship at 25K/year (renewable). The only point is, I make more than the bulk of the applying students, and at the same time am getting a larger fellowship than most - at a lot of schools it's not so related to how much you need the cash, but more on how much the school wants you to attend. Is 25K/year enough to make you choose Chicago over Wharton - that's the question I was faced with...
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2273

Kudos [?]: 8782 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: scholarships/financial aid [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2008, 13:02
Expert's post
solaris1 wrote:

There was a great Financial Aid thread there in the B-School Life forum, not sure if it's still around? This question probably gets asked every year anyway so search through older posts.

I think you are referring to this one started by Kryzak. 103-p409407?t=57289
It is the right time to start the 2008-2009 one though

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: scholarships/financial aid [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2008, 14:32
I've been reading through all of the archives and found some really great info on financial aid. The one question I still have is regarding when to apply for FASFA. Do I need to wait until I get my tax returns next year or can I apply now? (On FASFA's website it says you just need your 2007 returns but I'm not sure if it's been updated)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: scholarships/financial aid [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2008, 21:19
thanks bb, that was the link I was going to paste. :) Wow that was was a while ago.

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Re: scholarships/financial aid   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2008, 21:19