Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 10:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scholarships from 3 Top 20 schools in R3: A Debrief

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Scholarships from 3 Top 20 schools in R3: A Debrief [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2012, 07:29
This post received
KUDOS
Now, that my bags are packed and I am all set to fly to Atlanta to start a new chapter in my life, I tend to look back in reminiscence and think about what my journey has been.
People say, “Whatever happens, happens for good”. I have a strong reason to believe so. Last year with 98.23 on the CAT, my NITIE waitlist no. was 165 and the waitlist moved till 164 . This year too, I missed all the old IIMs in spite of scoring 99.43%ile on the CAT. But sometimes you have to take a step back to take a bigger leap. And that’s exactly what happened. I scored a 770 on the GMAT and suddenly everything seemed to make sense. I was ecstatic. But I soon realized that the GMAT score cannot be treated in isolation and that it is just one of several parameters that the Business schools look at. Nevertheless, I had aced one part of the application. Thanks to my managers at Infosys - I had plenty of leadership exposure working as a team lead for a critical project, where I had to lead a team of equals to deliver under stringent timelines. In short, I had something to talk about in my essays. Now, I wanted a craftsman that could make my story jump out of the paper. MBAdream.in did the trick. After reading the edited essays, I said to myself, “Wow, I am so good. I am really an achiever!!”  .
So, the essays were done, the applications submitted and the wait began. Interview calls started pouring in. Vanderbilt, Emory, Olin, Tepper. I had built a good network of current students during my research which, along with MBAdream resources, came in handy for my interview preparation. I had hardly started with my bschool interviews when I received an email with subject line “Goizueta Congratulations”…. Hours later came another email – “You have been awarded a merit scholarship of $15,000 per semester.” I went to the office next day and said – “Sir, thank you for everything. Your services are no longer required. I am getting an MBA.”
With an admit and scholarship from a top 20 school, my confidence was touching the sky. Interviews for Olin and Tepper were smooth as silk. Olin made no delay to announce their decision with a scholarship of $10,000 per semester. Tepper school of business followed suit. I got an admit from MDI Gurgaon and an interview call from FMS as well. With all due respect, I did not pay heed to either.
The struggle has been very long and the journey tortuous, but the fruit is sweeter than I had anticipated. It took a great deal of perseverance, intelligent self marketing (courtesy: MBAdream) and self confidence to make it happen. I am all excited to embark on a journey of a lifetime. But I would make every effort to give back to the community, as I was once one of you, struggling to make it to the top.
So, please reach out to me if you have any questions and I would be happy to answer them. You may also PM me if you wish to network or stay in touch.

Last edited by ankushpr on 11 Jul 2012, 08:04, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 249

Re: Scholarships from 3 Top 20 schools in R3: A Debrief [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2012, 07:49
Congratulations and good luck at Emory. Atlanta is an awesome city, enjoy the weather in the winter months!

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Scholarships from 3 Top 20 schools in R3: A Debrief [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2012, 08:03
method wrote:
Congratulations and good luck at Emory. Atlanta is an awesome city, enjoy the weather in the winter months!

Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 5

Re: Scholarships from 3 Top 20 schools in R3: A Debrief [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2012, 16:35
method wrote:

As someone who lived in Atlanta for five years, I'm not sure if I'd say the city is awesome :wink:

Sure while there are a few things to do in the city and Buckhead can be pretty fun, downtown is pretty much dead on the weekends and evenings. The city reminds me of Houston where lots of places close up shop early during the week.

Back on topic, congrats on the acceptance! Also, a 770 GMAT is very impressive. Good job!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 21

Re: Scholarships from 3 Top 20 schools in R3: A Debrief [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2012, 18:47
Great job! All the best :)
Intern
Intern

Re: Scholarships from 3 Top 20 schools in R3: A Debrief [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2012, 11:21
GZR4DR wrote:
method wrote:

As someone who lived in Atlanta for five years, I'm not sure if I'd say the city is awesome :wink:

Sure while there are a few things to do in the city and Buckhead can be pretty fun, downtown is pretty much dead on the weekends and evenings. The city reminds me of Houston where lots of places close up shop early during the week.

Back on topic, congrats on the acceptance! Also, a 770 GMAT is very impressive. Good job!

Hey, thanks a lot.
Intern
Intern

Re: Scholarships from 3 Top 20 schools in R3: A Debrief [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2012, 11:23
westsidah408 wrote:
Great job! All the best :)

Non-Human User
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Scholarships from 3 Top 20 schools in R3: A Debrief [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2014, 00:56
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Scholarships from 3 Top 20 schools in R3: A Debrief   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2014, 00:56