Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 10:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

School advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

School advice [#permalink] New post 24 May 2011, 07:52
Hey guys, my first post here so sorry if its in the wrong spot. Need advice on what schools I should be looking into.
Graduated in 2009 with a bachelors in Chemistry. Past 2 years I have been working on my own from home, but thanks to this countries wonderful DOJ, I am forced to re-enter the job/school market.
Graduated with 2.8 overall/3.2 science GPA.
Was president of Chem club, and did 2 years of research.
Took MCATs but never went to med school.
I live in the NY area and would like to keep it local but I am open to options.
Also, I heard some school will take a look at my MCAT score and not require a GMAT.
Thanks for the replies, and once again sorry if this is the wrong place on these forums for this type of post.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 206 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: School advice [#permalink] New post 24 May 2011, 08:35
Hi there, this is a good spot for your post.

It seems to me you're still in the rudimentary process of business school search. At this point, I would recommend you to try your best to land a full-time gig. Working from home is essentially, not working, in the adcom's point of view (unless you can bring some tangible results that showed you published in US News about your work or something along the line). Without no significant work experience, it will make it hard for you to get into a b-school.

There's a lot for you to think about and I'm going to just pinpoint down a couple of the 30000-foot level questions.

What are you looking to do with your MBA? Why do you think you need an MBA? What type of range of schools are you looking for (top 20 according to US News? top 50? top 100?)

by answering these questions for yourself and on this board, people will better help you gauge at your chances.

I personally have never heard of utilizing MCAT score to substitute for the GMAT, but then again, I've only familiarized myself with the information you get from a top 20 business school.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: School advice [#permalink] New post 29 May 2011, 15:12
Expert's post
Hi rsoybelman,

I agree with the comments above. Before you look at schools, you need to decide whether business school is the right choice for you at this time.

Many people feel that the MBA is the cure-all. As you venture down the road of business school applications, it is certainly easy to fantasize about the name of that big MBA program eventually appearing on your resume and how it will open any door you want. However, the MBA is not the end game, it’s just a means to an end, and certainly can be a very effective tool if used well and if appropriate for you.

One fairly easy way to determine if the MBA is right for you is to take stock of your short- and long-term goals and figure out if the MBA will truly be an asset in helping you to get there. Admissions committees will certainly be asking this question.

I also recommend you consider working, as business schools will be looking at your work experience and history of progression in your career.

I hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Re: School advice   [#permalink] 29 May 2011, 15:12