Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 23:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

School Choices

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

School Choices [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2004, 09:51
I wanted to get some sort of feedback about whether I have a reasonable chance of success with top 10 schools (maybe a couple top 15) if I am applying to 5 of them plus LBS.

Following is my background: good gmat scores (770, 5.5 AWA), good undergraduate school (UVA) with ok grades (3.0) in hard science major (liberal arts degree not engineering), 8 years work experience (software engineering), leadership roles in charity organizations, some international work experience.

I think that the weakness in my application is my age and career direction. I have worked as a contractor for last several years and always do very well, but it hasn't been for any big name companies. Also I am still trying to clearly define my career goals for schools. This I have found the most difficult. Truly I want to go to business school in order to open my career options. I feel like I would like to start or run my own company one day, but probably not immediately after business school. Probably, I will find opportunities for general management in a small/medium company (or possibly a large company with program rotating new mgr throughout company) or marketing/bus. dev. to fit well with my past experience plus bschool. How necessary is it to describe a very specific career path after bschool?

I have been using "how to get into top mba programs as a reference", but I read reviews about your book and I have just ordered "mba game plan" today. Can you recommend any other resources. Especially for help with what adcom is looking for wrt career path. Are there particular career paths that a software engineer would want to avoid describing because it puts application into a category with too many other applicants?

Thanks,
Thomas
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2004, 13:31
Yes you seem like you will be competitive at those schools. A 770 GMAT goes a long way, so you definitely have that to hang your hat on.

You're right, however in that if you're too unclear about your career goals it could derail your application. Not that you have to know *exactly* what you want to do after graduation. Still, your essays have to be clearer than simply stating that you want the options that an MBA provides. You should craft a story around your career interests. Remember, once you get in you can change your story as many times as you want (and most people do).

Our book is all about crafting your story, so you should get a lot of help from it.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend that you stay away from any particular industry, but make sure that what ever you choose, that you're able to convey a passion for it. Unpassionate applications are often rejected.

The best way for you to combat any weakness that could be attributed to your age is to have a solid story.

Best,

Omari

http://www.mbagameplan.com