Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 01:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

school colors for usernames

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 674 [0], given: 781

school colors for usernames [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2009, 05:00
To follow up on requests, I have two questions for you:

a) Do you want your usernames to highlight the school you are attending? Should we just adopt a standard for avatars instead?

b) How should we decide what colors to use for each school?

thank you.
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 29

Re: school colors for usernames [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2009, 05:17
Im not sure why people would want the username to highlight their school. We can just put it on the left under the "schools" area and highlight it in blue like everyone has been doing anyway. Also, lots of people show their school via their avatars.....adding another option might just be overkill.....

"George is getting upset!"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 1

Re: school colors for usernames [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2009, 05:32
i agree w/ raabend...there are already enough options to highlight school choice...avatars and the schools section in the profile...
Director
Director
Schools: Wharton
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 0

Re: school colors for usernames [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2009, 05:50
I agree. A school avatar seems like the best way to do this.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 31

Re: school colors for usernames [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2009, 06:33
I think in the "Things We could do better" thread some folks had suggested symbols to indicate current students as opposed to applicants. Could we pursue that instead?
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [1] , given: 17

Re: school colors for usernames [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2009, 06:40
This post received
KUDOS
I agree - I think there are plenty of ways to show schools currently between the "schools" line and avatars. The ability to distinguish between applicant/current student/alumni would be helpful though.

Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 29

Re: school colors for usernames [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2009, 07:08
It would be kind of cool if we could have the option to add small school seals in addition to the avatars.......for no reason other than it will look shnazzy.

"George is getting upset!"

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: school colors for usernames [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2009, 16:00
My vote is for simplicity. There's already plenty of ways to tell what school you will be attending (i.e. avatar, and schools in profile). Changing the username color would make it difficult to tell who's admin, moderator, director.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 18

Re: school colors for usernames [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2009, 16:31
isa wrote:
I think in the "Things We could do better" thread some folks had suggested symbols to indicate current students as opposed to applicants. Could we pursue that instead?

I like this idea.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

Re: school colors for usernames [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2009, 16:33
I like the color ID idea...I never look at the info under names on the left (there is a lot there), I look at the name but thats about it. A lot of people dont use school avatars and you cant force them to or give them one...you also cant ensure they update their status to say school x class of YY. Also I like the idea of being able to identify posts on the main page as being from students. It is a quick easy way to identify students without asking them to do much. I mean I know who are current students this year no matter what their avatar or info says since I remember posters from last year. However, new people have no idea who is who...if its easily identifiable then it makes everyone's life easier.

Honestly, there is a little bit of credibility that I give to someone who is a student over a person who heard info from a friend, second hand, or read it online. So if i saw someone who is a student post something I will believe what they say a lot more. Not sure what color should be, I would say Blue since thats what we use to symoblize what school people are going to be attending in the status. Since that is the board of directors, maybe the BOD should get a new color like purple, orange or something else.

Symbols would work too if put next to the names or something.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Yale SOM 2011
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Re: school colors for usernames [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2009, 16:40
Jerz wrote:
I agree - I think there are plenty of ways to show schools currently between the "schools" line and avatars. The ability to distinguish between applicant/current student/alumni would be helpful though.

agreed
VP
VP
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: school colors for usernames [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2009, 04:02
riverripper wrote:
I like the color ID idea...I never look at the info under names on the left (there is a lot there), I look at the name but thats about it. A lot of people dont use school avatars and you cant force them to or give them one...you also cant ensure they update their status to say school x class of YY. Also I like the idea of being able to identify posts on the main page as being from students. It is a quick easy way to identify students without asking them to do much. I mean I know who are current students this year no matter what their avatar or info says since I remember posters from last year. However, new people have no idea who is who...if its easily identifiable then it makes everyone's life easier.

A challenge with using school colors is that you may have duplicates or closely related colors. For example, how could we tell the difference between Maroon, Crimson and Cardinal for Booth, HBS and Stanford, or between NYU and Kellogg which are both purple? If the colors we use aren't necessarily the school colors, it's not any easier for people to quickly identify school based on color without understanding the gmatclub school color coding system.

Maybe, if it's possible, we can move the "schools" line directly under the username, and then add some sort of icon to show whether it's a current student or prospective.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 5

Re: school colors for usernames [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2009, 08:35
Jerz wrote:
riverripper wrote:

A challenge with using school colors is that you may have duplicates or closely related colors. For example, how could we tell the difference between Maroon, Crimson and Cardinal for Booth, HBS and Stanford, or between NYU and Kellogg which are both purple? If the colors we use aren't necessarily the school colors, it's not any easier for people to quickly identify school based on color without understanding the gmatclub school color coding system.

Maybe, if it's possible, we can move the "schools" line directly under the username, and then add some sort of icon to show whether it's a current student or prospective.

Or leave the schools where it is for prospective students, and add a line under the name for current students.

http://bent.tw

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

Re: school colors for usernames [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2009, 08:46
Jerz wrote:
riverripper wrote:
I like the color ID idea...

A challenge with using school colors is that you may have duplicates or closely related colors.

I dont mean each school getting a different color. I just mean all current students have a color. You are right the colors would be too similar to tell them apart. Sort of like mods being identified by a color, identify all students with a colored name.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Re: school colors for usernames   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2009, 08:46