Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

School Info Sessions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 2

School Info Sessions [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 03:53
I would appreciate any tips on attending program info sessions that school have these days. Specifically, is it advisable to introduce yourself to admissions committee members or even ask them for contact details, and get your name remembered when it is decision time ?

Any other experiences or comments ?

For those who already attended, did you find these useful ?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: School Info Sessions [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 04:41
As someone who has been conducting Executive MBA program admissions events and information sessions for more than a decade, I will say that it is always a good idea to introduce yourself to the Admissions Staff hosting these events. Indeed, the purpose of these events is to make contact with potential applicants and start to foster a relationship.

When Admissions Committees review files they look for evidence that the applicant is truly keen on attending that school. Often, applicants apply to many schools and their applications take on a generic "cookie cutter" form. Experienced Admissions Committee members can tell right away if someone is simply copying and pasting the same sort of content or essay question answers across applications. Ideally, you want to demonstrate to the Admissions Committee members that you are sincerely interested in attending that school and that you have put in the effort to understand that school, what it can offer you, and how that fits with your careers goals. Meeting admissions staff, attending school information sessions, and talking with school representatives are all activities you can mention in your application that help demonstrate your sincerity and can distinguish your application from others.

Good luck!

Danny Szpiro
Assistant Dean for Executive Education
The Johnson School
Cornell University
das247@cornell.edu

Facebook Page: Cornell-Queen's Executive MBA
LinkedIn Group: Cornell~Queen's Executive MBA

Last edited by dszpiro on 18 Sep 2010, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Re: School Info Sessions [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 05:58
Thanks a lot for the advice! I am certainly going to make it to some admissions events.

Any applicatants that went to one such event recently want to share their experiences?
Current Student
Schools: UCLA Anderson FEMBA Class of 2014
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 4

Re: School Info Sessions [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 06:56
As an attendee, I think my biggest advice would be to arrive early. A lot of the adcom members get there early and its a great opportunity to chat informally without other people waiting behind you to talk with that person!

Also, don't ignore any adcom members - Don't just try to talk to the Dean or the Director to make an impression. I think its just as important to talk to every member and any alumni or current students there to really get a feel for the program.

Dress professionally. I think first impressions are huge. If this is your first time meeting the school and potential class mates, dress for success. You'd be surprised how many people come in jeans, shorts and a t-shirt.

Network with your competition... urr classmates. Get to know them, why they're looking into bschool, how the essays are going for them, etc.

Follow-up. If you had a great conversation with one of the adcom members, shoot an email thanking them for their time. If it was just a casual quick conversation... maybe not so much.
Manager
Manager

Re: School Info Sessions [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 10:38
Great Tips! Thanks! Great idea about coming to an event early !
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 17

Re: School Info Sessions [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 12:07
thisguy310 wrote:

Also, don't ignore any adcom members - Don't just try to talk to the Dean or the Director to make an impression. I think its just as important to talk to every member and any alumni or current students there to really get a feel for the program.

An important corollary: treat everyone you meet as though they're part of the adcom. If you're a jerk to a student/alumni/staffer/person handing out nametags at the door, you can bet dollars to donuts that the feedback will make it back to the person reviewing your file.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: School Info Sessions   [#permalink] 23 Sep 2010, 12:07