Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 13:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

School selection advice requested

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
WE: Law (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 38

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
School selection advice requested [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 03:09
Dear all,

I'm planning to apply to business school this fall, and with but atypical background but very definite post-MBA goals I would like to ask for the community's advice.

I'm from Eastern Europe, I have a law undergrad, I worked in the government and a non-government public service institution since my graduation (mostly legal work, but also a lot of exposure to international work with the EU).

I also have a "second", parallel career path that started out as a hobby during my high school years and has since turned quite serious. I'm into sports journalism and publishing, I worked for websites, magazines, and then ran my own website and a magazine together with some other guys, and we recently ventured into tablet publishing as well (I also did related work on radio shows, TV broadcast commentating etc.).

What I would like to do is to sort of mold these 2 paths into one by going for an MBA, and afterwards I want to end up in government consulting, more specifically back in Europe, since most of my government experience relates to the European Union.

With that in mind, I'd like to ask you for some suggestions, most importantly US schools. Why US schools when I want to work with the EU? I just want to get out of my comfort zone and get a different perspective on management etc.

Yes, I do have a list of schools I'm interested in but I wouldn't like to bias any recommendations so I'd prefer not to tell them. :)

My GPA is rather average but I think I can explain it very well (the parallel career path I mentioned ate up a lot of my time and I only learned to balance it properly after I started working full-time upon graduating), and I also didn't take the GMAT yet, but please suggest schools from the full range.

Although I didn't get "promoted" in the traditional sense in my 3 years of WE, as our public service is quite strongly based on seniority, but I recently switched jobs which can be considered a promotion since I moved to a more “prestigious” institution, and I'll have good recommendations from my bosses at both the earlier and the new workplace as well.

I hope I gave you all the info necessary, if not, please do not hesitate to ask. :)

And thanks a lot for your help in advance!

GPT
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
WE: Law (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 38

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: School selection advice requested [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2012, 23:52
Anyone, please? :shifty: