Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

School suggestion.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Georgetown, UIUC, Duke, UNC
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

School suggestion. [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 10:39
Hi,

Can anyone suggest appropriate schools for my profile in the US? The following are the details

Hello Sir , This is my profile, Can you help me identify target schools in the US/Europe?

GMAT: 700
Q 46, V 40

Educational background :
1. Masters Degree in Engineering Management from Syracuse University in NY with GPA 3.54/4.0
2. Bachelors Degree from India in Computer Engineering [ GPA: 3.0/4.0].

Work Experience : 20 months in Supply Chain Consulting in US/ Canada [ 1 year in Project Management and 1 year in consulting] in a small-mid sized company. Was a team leader for 5 for 1 year in Support Operations. After great performance was given consulting assignments, althought role changed, the designation did not. Can get great recommendations. Also, can prove leadership at work.

In a job before the one stated above, was a trainer in ERP software [SAP] for 6 months, also cerftified in SAP.
Extra Cirriculars : I am great at Public Speaking. Not competed though anywhere. Have given speeches at work/outside to audiences over a 100 strong on general topics. Was a lead organizer of a wild life exploration club in Canada. Organized groups of people over 50 in to the most inaccessible areas of the Canadian Rockies, for Photography, Camping and Hiking etc.

If I am looking at General Management, can anyone suggest which colleges in the US would I be competitive in?

Thankyou.

To see is the greatest of arts.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: School suggestion. [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2009, 12:50
Alcyone,

Your profile is solid but there's nothing especially distinctive about it, so your challenge will be standing out from the pack. For longshot schools, I think you could look at Duke and Cornell. For competitive schools, look at CMU, Texas, Emory, Washington Olin, Babson, Vanderbilt. All of these schools place relatively high percentages of their MBAs in GM positions.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern

Re: School suggestion. [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 09:53
pbodine wrote:
Alcyone,

Your profile is solid but there's nothing especially distinctive about it, so your challenge will be standing out from the pack. For longshot schools, I think you could look at URLs For competitive schools, look at CMU, Texas, Emory, Washington Olin, Babson, Vanderbilt. All of these schools place relatively high percentages of their MBAs in GM positions.

Good luck,

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the suggestions. I would like to ask you and all others which other schools will be a match for me if I want to specialize in HR? I read from one of your earlier posts that UCLA, Maryland and Wisconsin have good HR programs. Do you believe they would suit my profile ( listed earlier in the thread, add GMAT 700 to it.). Also since I have no directly HR related experience in my past, can you suggest some strategy to design my application?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Alcyone.

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: School suggestion. [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2009, 21:23
Alcyone,

With a 700 GMAT you would be more than competitive at Wisconsin and Maryland. Wisconsin is probably the better HR school in the sense that they place a decent percentage (between 1-4%) of their MBAs in HR roles (most schools place less than 1% of their classes in HR). UCLA has a 1% HR placement (not great but better than most) but would be more of a reach school for you. Consider the following schools: UNC (between 2-3% HR placement), Purdue (between 3 and 5), USC (between 3 and 5), and Vanderbilt (between 4 and 6%).

As for your lack of HR background, you will need to do a good job of explaining where your interest in HR came from and you should be able to show them that you have done the due diligence of talking to people in the HR field to vet your goals.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern

Re: School suggestion. [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2009, 08:48
pbodine wrote:
Alcyone,

With a 700 GMAT you would be more than competitive at Wisconsin and Maryland. Wisconsin is probably the better HR school in the sense that they place a decent percentage (between 1-4%) of their MBAs in HR roles (most schools place less than 1% of their classes in HR). UCLA has a 1% HR placement (not great but better than most) but would be more of a reach school for you. Consider the following schools: UNC (between 2-3% HR placement), Purdue (between 3 and 5), USC (between 3 and 5), and Vanderbilt (between 4 and 6%).

As for your lack of HR background, you will need to do a good job of explaining where your interest in HR came from and you should be able to show them that you have done the due diligence of talking to people in the HR field to vet your goals.

Good luck,

Thanks Paul,

Two questions on what you said.
1. It seems UNC no longer has the HR specialization. Please see http://www.kenan-flagler.unc.edu/Progra ... ations.cfm
2. By USC, did you mean University of South Carolina? or Southern California? I think you meant the latter.

Appreciate the help.

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: School suggestion. [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2009, 20:30