Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 11:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

School suggestions/profile evaulation please!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

School suggestions/profile evaulation please! [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 06:28
GMAT: 710 (47Q, 41V, 6AWA)

GPA: 3.03 in Finance from top 10 undergraduate business program (while working at career center and doing marketing research)

WE: 4 years (5 at matriculation): 1 year in consumer-IT program (exposure to project mgmt and internal marketing/comms IT); 3 years as a business analyst in technology at top BB bank and promoted in less than 2. Heavily involved in undergraduate recruiting in both positions. Both at "prestigious" firms.

ECs: Undergrad - 2 years volunteer in tutoring/mentoring program aimed at mitigating exposure to violence by providing an alternative after-school haven. Undergrad business club-- led initiative to promote recycling by educating and instilling best practices/forming habits in youth.
Post-grad - involved in firm's 'green' initiative to promote best environmental practices in the office and community. Leadership position at firm's business resource group for women.

Demographic: Asian Female, probably 27 at matriculation

Ideally would like to get into strategy/consulting, with an emphasis on leveraging technology in the consumer/retail sector to drive business. I have exposure/experience in IT/marketing/finance/project management and want to get an MBA to bridge these areas to position me into strategy.

What schools should I consider/do I have a chance at? Any thoughts/tips/criticisms would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 526 [0], given: 0

Re: School suggestions/profile evaulation please! [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 08:39
Basically the list you have in your profile to the left is in range:

Kellogg, Booth, CBS (or any top 8): stretch, but where you have enough of a shot that it's worth applying to 2-3.

Stern, Duke, Anderson (or any top 16): sweet spot, where you are right in the thick of it and worth applying to 3-4.

Tepper (or any top 30): safety, where you'll get in. Apply to 0-1.

So you've the right range of schools that are in striking distance. Beyond that, it's really just doing the best on you can on the written applications and interviews at this point. Your GMAT/GPA combo is a bit low (mostly because of your GPA) - but nothing fatal; if you really wanted to, you could retake the GMAT if you're reasonably confident you can hit 740+ without much additional prep work, but it's optional not essential.

Good luck

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 6

Re: School suggestions/profile evaulation please! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2013, 21:22
Hi there,

You have a decent profile with good GMAT Score. As you must be knowing that 4-5 years of work experience is what most of the b scchools are looking for. Based on your profile and GMAT Score I would suggest you to target few b schools as mentioned below:

Stretch: MIT Sloan, Chicago Booth, Dartmouth Tuck,
Safe: Duke,Emory, Cornell, Michigan Ross
Reach: Darden, Tepper, UCLA

Hope this helps.

If you happen to be based in Delhi (Gurgaon), you can attend a MBA workshop by the alumnus of ISB along with alumnus of various top global B-Schools during the dates mentioned in this link http://bit.ly/c4mpwT.

Feel free to post any other query or concern that you might have.

Regards,
Neha Singh

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Re: School suggestions/profile evaulation please!   [#permalink] 25 Sep 2013, 21:22