Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [1]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: School visit - suggestions/tips/dos&don'ts? [#permalink]
kingfalcon wrote:
My advice would be to:

1) Stay close to the school, wherever possible
2) Register for the "ambassador" or "day-in-the-life" type events that include an infosession, class visit, lunch with students, and a tour
3) Take copious notes, including names, classes, professors, interesting clubs, and unique things you liked about the people/campus
4) Reach out to current students once you know when you'll be visiting to see if anybody would be willing to grab a drink with you

On the other hand, my question to you is this: why are you visiting such a vast range of schools? If you truly and objectively think you're competitive at Columbia and Booth, which are both top-7 programs, why are you bothering to visit Mendoza (25), Madison (30), and Illinois (45)? It seems to me like you would be better served thinking more carefully about your candidacy to make sure you aren't wasting money or time visiting schools that are not in line with your work experience and demonstrated academic ability (e.g. GPA, GMAT).

Excellent advice!

The main reason I'm considering a broad range of schools is that I can't keep travelling to the US. If I'm already going to be there, I'd like to take advantage of my time. I'm quite keen on Mendoza, but am currently only lukewarm for Madison and Illinois. I'm thinking of those as safety schools. Columbia would just be because I'm in the area. My top 3 picks (based on everything from location, to curriculum etc.) are Booth, Haas and Stern. I've already taken the GMAT (700), and don't intend to retake. At this point, I'm thinking mostly about "fit" with schools.

As for Ithaca, I realize that it's not near Manhattan, which is why it's still a maybe. I'm interested in the program, and hear very good things from current students (there's definitely some bias there but it seems very genuine and heartfelt), but I'm not sure about whether I want to attend a program in Ithaca.

I'm still not 100% sure that I will be going to the US at all. If I do, I probably won't visit all of the programs on my list either.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
To me, I'd take it easy on the notes, though I agree otherwise with the above suggestions. Write your after you're home imo which is what I've done when I visited classes.

Observe the class, and observe the students in the class especially. How are they together in the cohort? Are they providing valuable insight in class, etc? After the students, then look at the facility and the University campus and see if this is the type of University you'd like to be at.

Do not participate in the class at all unless the professor calls you out. You are not a student there and aren't paying for that class, the other students are. Hopefully this helps.
MBA Prep School CEO & Co-Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
westsidah408 wrote:
Could someone who has been through this process recommend how I should proceed in terms of logistics, lodging, scheduling visits with the schools/students/alumni/faculty/admissions office etc.

It would be of immense help as I am an international applicant.

Thanks!

I wrote an article on the topic of making the most of school visits for MBA Prep School (https://mbaprepschool.com). Here is a summary of the key points:
    You are the Buyer and Not the Seller
    Be Open Minded, Focus on the Business School’s Culture, Determine How Well You Fit
    Meet People One on One
    Build a “Personality Profile” of each Business School
    Relax! Be Natural …
    Don't forget your toothbrush :)

If you'd like to read the entire article, here is the link: https://mbaprepschool.com/advice-about-school-visits/
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks, Tyler! That's of great help. :)
GMAT Club Bot