Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 05:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

School visits

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

School visits [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2005, 20:20
Hjort,

I have been unable to visit any of the schools I am applying to. One of the schools (Haas) actually has an essay question about a visit.

I am starting to feel very concerned that a lot of these schools may feel that I am not showing the required interest in them to deserve admission. Esspecially since i live in the same country, is it expected of candidates to visit the schools they are applying to?

Is it necessary for me to include somewhere in my essays, why I could not visit the school? This will be quite a challenge for me because I am already struggling with word limits and am not sure if it is worth the words to explain this aspect of my application.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2005, 20:57
How do you know they are the right schools without having seen them?

Hjort
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2005, 21:14
Tough question!

My choices were based on general perception, rankings and other people's advice.

I started narrowing down the schools on the following basis-
1) Location
2) Reputation
3) My chances of getting admitted
4) How they marketed themselves... some schools made me more at home than others.

I realize it is the least desirable way to choose schools, but given the time constraints it was the best I could do. I will get some time in the middle of Jan and the end of Feb to schedule my visits, but that does not really serve my purpose. It is more like trying to put out a fire after it has started, instead of preventing the fire in the first place.

But on the other hand i do question to some degree the extent of usefulness of these one day visits. 'A day in Rome, does not a Roman make'.

Can candidates trully find out if they are going to like an environment that they are going to spend two years of their lives in, based on a single eight hour visit or a single class?
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2005, 21:57
This question is tough but it will exist in some form in the minds of the admissions officers. You should be prepared to answer it (either explicitly or implicitly). While time-constraints exist in the real world, I have generally found this explanation to be unavailing. The campus is there every day, just waiting for you to visit. While a full visit is useful, even a quick visit that involves strolling around the grounds, sitting in a class or two, and sampling the food can be extremely illuminating. Often an informal visit can tell you more about a school than the formal dog and pony show. In addition, consider visiting PT classes if you have a difficult time visting during the day. For schools with integrated FT and PT instruction, this can give you a good idea of the classroom dynamic.

I do not know your portfolio so I cannot comment on how feasible it would be for you to visit the schools in it. If you have crafted a well-balanced portfolio based on the usual criteria, at least a few of the schools should a short trip from Michigan.

Have you spoken to MBA Alumni?
BSBA Alumni (if applicable)?
University Alumni?

Hjort
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2005, 22:10
Hjort,

Two schools are in the New York area and two in California. One school is here in Michigan, but unfortunately i live almost on campus, so i cant really make a claim for a 'visit'. I will be attending a class here though.

But in terms of the other schools would it be worth delaying my applications to the 3rd round? Would a visit strengthen my application enough to warrant such a decision?

Thanks for replying to all my posts. You have been a great help to me so far.
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2005, 23:08
This time when you "visit" Ross, however, your visit will be informed by your MBA research. The CA schools are 2000+ miles away so the fact that you did not visit them is easier to accept than the fact that you did not visit the NY schools which were just a few hours by plane.

Is is worth waiting until the next round? Probably not.

On a related issue, your portfolio intrigues me - It sounds like Columbia, UCB, Michigan, NYU, and Stanford or UCLA. I do not see too much in common across these schools but, then again, perhaps I have guessed the wrong set of schools.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2005, 11:07
Hey Hjort,

I am taking your advice very seriously... i have set up a one on one session with a current student at Ross for this week.

WIll it be rude to ask him why he chose Ross and if it has lived up to his expectations, or other seemingly negative questions such as what he does not like about the school?

Thanks
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2005, 11:19
Those are perfectly legitimate questions. I see nothing wrong with them as long as they are part of a set of questions that includes some positive questions and neutral questions.
  [#permalink] 27 Nov 2005, 11:19

School visits

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap