Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 12:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

School Visits with Sig Other

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

School Visits with Sig Other [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2011, 17:47
I'm beginning to plan my school visits and wondered everyone's thoughts on going with a sig other. I'm leaning to going alone but wanted to hear everyone else's experiences. As an FYI, my sig other has spent a lot of time in all cities I'm looking at so it's not urgent that they get to know the cities.

Thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: School Visits with Sig Other [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2011, 08:19
Will your significant other follow you to your new BSchool? If yes, ask her to join you on the all visits. But limit trip to 5 visits to make it less a grind for her.

gpb14 wrote:
I'm beginning to plan my school visits and wondered everyone's thoughts on going with a sig other. I'm leaning to going alone but wanted to hear everyone else's experiences. As an FYI, my sig other has spent a lot of time in all cities I'm looking at so it's not urgent that they get to know the cities.

Thoughts?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: School Visits with Sig Other [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2011, 13:29
She will be joining me. I guess my question is the pros and cons of her visiting. In other words, are there times we shouldn't be together in order to get true 1-on-1 time with someone in admissions, etc.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 693 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: School Visits with Sig Other [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2011, 14:24
I wouldnt worry about bringing a significant other on a tour. As long as you are open about what each of you are looking for during those two years. My wife didn't go on tours with me and honestly, she would have been out of place on many visits. She wouldnt have wanted to sit through classes, do lunch and tours.

Obviously bring them to admitted student weekends where there will be many more activities aimed at them. But normal school visits wont provide them much and will probably bore them. My wife actually wandered around the area the schools were in when I was touring and she traveled with me.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: School Visits with Sig Other [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2011, 09:15
Yeah, my wife didn't go with me to any of my school visits but we talked in advance about what cities we'd like to live in when I was choosing schools. She did come with me for all the admitted student weekends since I wanted her feedback in choosing the right school for us as a family.

FindIt - http://www.getfindit.com

My blog - http://www.shoescount.com

Manager
Manager
Schools: Cambridge (R2-Matriculating), Nyenrode (Accepted), Oxford (R2-Interview invite)
WE 1: Army officer (Corps of Engineers)
WE 2: Air Quality Control Engineer
WE 3: Water Resources Engineer
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 19

Re: School Visits with Sig Other [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2011, 22:40
I actually went on school visits with my mom. The AdCom at Cambridge said that he was pretty sure that was a first 8-)

I personally appreciated having a second opinion to bounce off ideas. She didn't join me on any of the tours, info sessions, etc., but she did attend the dinner the evening prior (at Cambridge). We didn't interact much at the dinner - she chatted with the people on her side of the table, I chatted with the people on my side of the table. But then we could talk about it afterward and compare our thoughts. It was also nice to have someone to travel with. Granted, I see my mom once a year, so I was also taking the opportunity to hang out with her on this trip.

Bottom line - if you would appreciate a second opinion or if your significant other is interested in seeing the schools, bring her along. She may also see a different side of the school that you won't get to see. But I agree that she shouldn't attend the actual info sessions, tours, interviews, etc. Boring for her, distracting for you.
Re: School Visits with Sig Other   [#permalink] 06 Jun 2011, 22:40