Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [2]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Re: Schools Most Likely To Admit Low GPA Applicants??? [#permalink]
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Bucket1518 wrote:
I've done a lot of reading on how to overcome a low undergrad gpa, and I feel like I'm in a good place to do that. What is currently weighing on me is everything I read about some schools being more willing than others to overlook a less than stellar gpa. For instance Stanford, Anderson, and Columbia are not likely to forgive less than stellar grades; whereas, Kellogg, Ross, and Johnson might be more forgiving in regard to transcript blemishes. Does anyone have a more complete list of the top business schools and their weighting of gpa in the admissions process? Any advice would be highly appreciated.

P.S. Is it a lost cause applying to Anderson with a 2.99?

What is your work experience like? I just got an interview invite from Columbia with a 3.03 GPA, not significantly better than your 2.99. Granted I'm a re-applicant, applying Early Decision and come from the military which is often considered an under-represented group so that probably gives me a little more leeway than somebody in finance or accounting.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
Send PM
mappleby wrote:
Bucket1518 wrote:
I've done a lot of reading on how to overcome a low undergrad gpa, and I feel like I'm in a good place to do that. What is currently weighing on me is everything I read about some schools being more willing than others to overlook a less than stellar gpa. For instance Stanford, Anderson, and Columbia are not likely to forgive less than stellar grades; whereas, Kellogg, Ross, and Johnson might be more forgiving in regard to transcript blemishes. Does anyone have a more complete list of the top business schools and their weighting of gpa in the admissions process? Any advice would be highly appreciated.

P.S. Is it a lost cause applying to Anderson with a 2.99?

What is your work experience like? I just got an interview invite from Columbia with a 3.03 GPA, not significantly better than your 2.99. Granted I'm a re-applicant, applying Early Decision and come from the military which is often considered an under-represented group so that probably gives me a little more leeway than somebody in finance or accounting.

I'm a policy and financial analyst for a large state government agency. I'm not sure if it is all that unique, but I have done some cool things. I am responsible for data analysis and managing a financial model that determines over $1.2 BN in hospital and nursing home payments. A financing mechanism I developed this year saved the $10 Mil in general fund oblations. I was on the leadership committee for my department's roll out of new data management system. I have prior experience in international supply chain management, an energy market internship, and a marketing internship. I'm a bit worried that it might look like I jumped around a bit, but I graduated at the height of the recession in winter '08. I took what work I could get, and kept looking for new opportunities to grow and use my skills.

*Edit* Also, I started in chemical engineering in undergrad and it was awful for me. After a switch to econ and poli sci my gpa averaged around 3.2-3.3 with an upward trend. Still not great.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bucket1518 wrote:

I have prior experience in international supply chain management, an energy market internship, and a marketing internship. I'm a bit worried that it might look like I jumped around a bit, but I graduated at the height of the recession in winter '08. I took what work I could get, and kept looking for new opportunities to grow and use my skills.

That's pretty much what most of us have done, but of course we would never admit it in our essays.
;)

The "jumping around" CAN look bad though if you let it, but no matter how diverse and wacky your experience is, I've never seen a profile that couldn't be folded into a beautiful narrative.
GMAT Club Bot