Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Schools Most Likely To Admit Low GPA Applicants???

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Schools Most Likely To Admit Low GPA Applicants??? [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2012, 15:03
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I've done a lot of reading on how to overcome a low undergrad gpa, and I feel like I'm in a good place to do that. What is currently weighing on me is everything I read about some schools being more willing than others to overlook a less than stellar gpa. For instance Stanford, Anderson, and Columbia are not likely to forgive less than stellar grades; whereas, Kellogg, Ross, and Johnson might be more forgiving in regard to transcript blemishes. Does anyone have a more complete list of the top business schools and their weighting of gpa in the admissions process? Any advice would be highly appreciated.

P.S. Is it a lost cause applying to Anderson with a 2.99?
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [2] , given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Schools Most Likely To Admit Low GPA Applicants??? [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2012, 20:48
This post received
KUDOS

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 112 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Schools Most Likely To Admit Low GPA Applicants??? [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2012, 17:50
This post received
KUDOS
We have had luck having students with lower GPA's at almost every school with the exception of HBS and Columbia.
Of the top programs, I have found that Wharton and Booth read their applications deeply and often overlooked a lower GPA especially if there were real factors that caused it or were compensated for elsewhere (high GMAT, innovative work experience, etc.). The next level schools that are open to students with this issue are UCLA, Duke, Cornell, Michigan and Yale. Directly answering your question, i have found UCLA's admissions staff to be very open to students with both major and minor issues -- however, you have to show that you have overcome this and that your grades (situation) no longer reflect the person you are today.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Schools Most Likely To Admit Low GPA Applicants??? [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2012, 15:30
Bucket1518 wrote:
I've done a lot of reading on how to overcome a low undergrad gpa, and I feel like I'm in a good place to do that. What is currently weighing on me is everything I read about some schools being more willing than others to overlook a less than stellar gpa. For instance Stanford, Anderson, and Columbia are not likely to forgive less than stellar grades; whereas, Kellogg, Ross, and Johnson might be more forgiving in regard to transcript blemishes. Does anyone have a more complete list of the top business schools and their weighting of gpa in the admissions process? Any advice would be highly appreciated.

First school that rings a bell is Tuck. While your gpa will still be an issue, it seems Tuck would more consider other facets in your application.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Schools Most Likely To Admit Low GPA Applicants??? [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2012, 21:37
Bucket1518 wrote:

What is your work experience like? I just got an interview invite from Columbia with a 3.03 GPA, not significantly better than your 2.99. Granted I'm a re-applicant, applying Early Decision and come from the military which is often considered an under-represented group so that probably gives me a little more leeway than somebody in finance or accounting.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Schools Most Likely To Admit Low GPA Applicants??? [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2012, 21:48
mappleby wrote:
Bucket1518 wrote:

What is your work experience like? I just got an interview invite from Columbia with a 3.03 GPA, not significantly better than your 2.99. Granted I'm a re-applicant, applying Early Decision and come from the military which is often considered an under-represented group so that probably gives me a little more leeway than somebody in finance or accounting.

I'm a policy and financial analyst for a large state government agency. I'm not sure if it is all that unique, but I have done some cool things. I am responsible for data analysis and managing a financial model that determines over $1.2 BN in hospital and nursing home payments. A financing mechanism I developed this year saved the $10 Mil in general fund oblations. I was on the leadership committee for my department's roll out of new data management system. I have prior experience in international supply chain management, an energy market internship, and a marketing internship. I'm a bit worried that it might look like I jumped around a bit, but I graduated at the height of the recession in winter '08. I took what work I could get, and kept looking for new opportunities to grow and use my skills.

*Edit* Also, I started in chemical engineering in undergrad and it was awful for me. After a switch to econ and poli sci my gpa averaged around 3.2-3.3 with an upward trend. Still not great.
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 496 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Schools Most Likely To Admit Low GPA Applicants??? [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 01:17
Expert's post
Bucket1518 wrote:

I have prior experience in international supply chain management, an energy market internship, and a marketing internship. I'm a bit worried that it might look like I jumped around a bit, but I graduated at the height of the recession in winter '08. I took what work I could get, and kept looking for new opportunities to grow and use my skills.

That's pretty much what most of us have done, but of course we would never admit it in our essays.
;)

The "jumping around" CAN look bad though if you let it, but no matter how diverse and wacky your experience is, I've never seen a profile that couldn't be folded into a beautiful narrative.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: Schools Most Likely To Admit Low GPA Applicants???   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2012, 01:17