Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 03:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Schools - Please help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Schools - Please help [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2006, 07:24
Hi All,

I am an IT professional from India , having a work exp of 3 years. I have a GMAT score of 710 and yet to get my TOEFL score.
I have an avg GPA of 3.4.
I am yet to start my APPing essays (Hope I will not be too late :oops: ). Before that, I am going through some major dilemma in selecting my Schools.

I have selected ROSS, Emory , Carlson (Minesota), Tippie (IOWA) and Wisconsin-Madison when I appeared for GMAT.

Other than ROSS and Emory , I think I should look for some better univs.
What factors should I look for when I consider my schools? Please help me with some pointers which will assist me in choosing the schools.

Also, of the 3 years that I have worked, 2 years were in a major Indian IT company and my supervisor here has no problem in providing me any kind of Reco. However, I cannot say the same about my current employer. I have only spent an year in this company and was not able to do any major work. To be frank, I cannot rely nor can disclose my B-school plans/intentions to my current manager.
But , I can get an academic Reco from a scientist (professor) under whom I did a Project.
How much will this affect my application? Is it always crucial to get the Recos from the current Manager?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Schools - Please help [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2006, 08:09
girikorat wrote:
I am yet to start my APPing essays (Hope I will not be too late :oops: ). Before that, I am going through some major dilemma in selecting my Schools.

I have selected ROSS, Emory , Carlson (Minesota), Tippie (IOWA) and Wisconsin-Madison when I appeared for GMAT.

Other than ROSS and Emory , I think I should look for some better univs.
What factors should I look for when I consider my schools? Please help me with some pointers which will assist me in choosing the schools.

How did you choose Ross and Emory? i mean, you should use the same factors for choosing other schools. The primary question is: Do you know why you are going for an MBA? The answer to this question will point you to the correct schools..

girikorat wrote:
Also, of the 3 years that I have worked, 2 years were in a major Indian IT company and my supervisor here has no problem in providing me any kind of Reco. However, I cannot say the same about my current employer. I have only spent an year in this company and was not able to do any major work. To be frank, I cannot rely nor can disclose my B-school plans/intentions to my current manager.
But , I can get an academic Reco from a scientist (professor) under whom I did a Project.
How much will this affect my application? Is it always crucial to get the Recos from the current Manager?

Most of the schools insist that atleast one of the recommendation should be from your current supervisior. However, the schools also understand that this might not be possible all the time. Hence, they usually provide a place where you can explain why you have not taken a recommendation from your current supervisior...you can use that...

I am not sure how good an idea it is to take a recco from a prof...imo, for business school, a professional recco holds more weightage
Re: Schools - Please help   [#permalink] 02 Dec 2006, 08:09