Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 00:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Schools that are older applicant friendly?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Schools that are older applicant friendly? [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2008, 13:24
Hi,

I'm 35 (almost 36 by matriculation) and I'm interested in doing a FT MBA. PT options are limited where I live and also, since I would like to make a change from engineering to financial services, I think the FT experience would be a lot more valuable to me.

I know I can look at school profiles but although a lot show the average age, few show the age range.

I've applied to Fuqua R1 and should hear in about 3 weeks. I'm considering the following schools for R2/RD but I'm wondering if I'm already not competitive because of my age:

Chicago (reach)
Columbia (reach)
LBS (target)
NYU (target)

FWIW, my profile: M/African (soon to be -American)/750/3.4 (top-3 engineering), 3.2 grad school (top-10 engineering)/10yrs work exp./decent extracurrics
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 703 [1] , given: 5

Re: Schools that are older applicant friendly? [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2008, 13:58
This post received
KUDOS
There are a few people in my section who are over 35. I think you would be competitive at most top schools except H/S since they prefer younger applicants it seems.

Find schools that fit your personality and then apply. 35 is older but you have a lot working in your favor in your profile.

I dont know how columbia stacks up for older folks but Chicago, Kellogg, and Wharton all seem to accept people in your age range at about the same range. You also may want to check out Darden as another target school. They have a great finance rep.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [1] , given: 6

Re: Schools that are older applicant friendly? [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2008, 14:01
This post received
KUDOS
I'm getting up there in age as well (33 at matriculation), and what I've found is that as long as your "why mba" story makes sense, you should be ok.

LBS is very older applicant friendly as the average age of an MBA student in Europe tends to average higher than the US.

RF

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: Schools that are older applicant friendly? [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2008, 15:14
This post received
KUDOS
Wharton's average age is pretty high. Harvard and Stanford skew pretty low. I don't know much other than that. I will say, however, that you GMAT is great and your GPA (for engineering) is really solid. Your ethnic background can also only help. You look like you have a strong profile even though you will be on the older end of the applicant pool. Cast a wide net (wider than four) and some schools will probably bite. Its the same thing I'm having to do since I am a very young applicant.

"Sic volvere parcas..."

Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Schools that are older applicant friendly? [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2008, 15:49
Thanks, guys, for your encouraging responses! Good luck leverandon and refurb with your own apps.

riverripper, nice to have the insider view too. I noticed in the Kellogg Ambassadors thread that's linked in your sig that you include the 2010 class profile which says the age range is 26-31. Is that the middle 80%? Or are the 35+ year-olds you see 2nd years or part-time students? I just hope that other schools aren't considering going the H/S route.

Anyway ... I'll keep looking at more schools. UCLA Andersen is another possibility since I'm a California resident.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 703 [0], given: 5

Re: Schools that are older applicant friendly? [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2008, 16:09
Kellogg's numbers are for the middle 80%. I know several people in their mid-late 30s in my class (1st year) and these are all FT people. Since you want to do a career change a FT definitely makes more sense than a PT or EMBA. However, your age pushes you more towards the EMBA territory. Make sure you make it clear why you need the FT MBA not just the degree.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

Re: Schools that are older applicant friendly? [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2008, 20:28
On can always look at average numbers, though they don't tell the whole truth they are a good guidance.

I met a guy at MIT Sloan with 38 (I may be wrong, but it was around that), and I know one here at Chicago Booth with 36 - talking about FT programs. That said, both are willing to open their own business.

I believe that up to 33 people would have a shot to many places, though historically, H/S are the ones that things get harder - but we have terry's example here that with 30 one can break into Stanford GSB.

About the schools you mentioned I believe that Columbia would be the hardest (CBS also seem to be moving a little bit towards younger applicants from what I've hard from some friends of mine who are there), but all of them, especially this year, will be hard.

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

Current Student
Schools: Kellogg School of Management
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 10

Re: Schools that are older applicant friendly? [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2008, 22:21
I think the best advice you can get is to apply to as many schools as possible. When you start reaching the older ages, there are less spots for you in each year's class. It's just a statistical issue.

Of course you need to have a strong application (and a strong why MBA now answer), but you will do yourself a big favor by applying to as many schools as you can (so long as the applications are strong, of course).
Re: Schools that are older applicant friendly?   [#permalink] 29 Nov 2008, 22:21