Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 13:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Schools that love high GMAT scores

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Schools that love high GMAT scores [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2007, 18:40
Cornell 660
Darden 680 3.27
Tepper 691 3.3
Duke 699 3.4
Yale 701 3.4

If you look at the list of schools above, most people would say that it generally (give or take) lists the schools according to their rank. I only have a small handful of schools because these are the schools I'm targeting this fall. The interesting point is the avg GMAT score ascends as you go down the rank. This is important to me as I scored a 730 and am looking to get into at least 1 of these schools.

So does this mean Cornell and Darden don't value a high gmat score?

Or does it mean Cornell and Darden are more picky when it comes to the students they accept?

What do you guys have to say?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Schools that love high GMAT scores [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2007, 19:00
gmatclb wrote:
Cornell 660
Darden 680 3.27
Tepper 691 3.3
Duke 699 3.4
Yale 701 3.4

If you look at the list of schools above, most people would say that it generally (give or take) lists the schools according to their rank. I only have a small handful of schools because these are the schools I'm targeting this fall. The interesting point is the avg GMAT score ascends as you go down the rank. This is important to me as I scored a 730 and am looking to get into at least 1 of these schools.

So does this mean Cornell and Darden don't value a high gmat score?

Or does it mean Cornell and Darden are more picky when it comes to the students they accept?

What do you guys have to say?

I know you had the "give or take" caveat in there, but Tepper isn't even in Hjort's Elite cluster and I think most would agree that Duke has the strongest overall rep of those schools.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2007, 19:11
I can't really answer your question, but I can provide a little more data for you to ponder. Darden revealed at Darden Days (new student reception) that the average GMAT should be around 700 this year, in line with other similarly ranked schools. I actually posed this question to the dean at an admissions event last fall - regarding why Darden's scores trailed other similar schools. He told me that they expanded their class size 2 years ago (perhaps 3 years ago now), right at the point when MBA applications hit the lowest point, and their numbers went down because of that. His exact words to me were "I believe we have turned the corner on that." Judging by the 35% increase in application volume this past year, on top of double digit increases each of the last two years, and the new GMAT score, I believe his assessment was accurate.

I will also add that of all the schools that I considered (and it was a lot of them), Darden far and away valued personal contact the most. Their interview process is very personal and they really make an attempt to get to know each applicant as an individual. A number of other applicants (even some heading to other schools) have noted warm feeling they had when meeting with Darden. I believe the result is that in a sense, they value other things more highly that raw numbers. On the other hand, I think there is clear evidence that once they have made their decision, they will use available resources (scholarship money, personal contact, etc.) to try to get candidates with higher scores to attend.

Regarding your list of schools, I would drop Tepper to the bottom of that list. I agree with Hjort's system that Tepper is not in the elite group with the other schools in your list. Regarding the other 4, I'd say it's pretty much personal preference, but if I had to break it down I'd put Duke and Darden ahead of Cornell with Yale rounding out the group.
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2007, 20:07
pelihu wrote:
Regarding your list of schools, I would drop Tepper to the bottom of that list. I agree with Hjort's system that Tepper is not in the elite group with the other schools in your list. Regarding the other 4, I'd say it's pretty much personal preference, but if I had to break it down I'd put Duke and Darden ahead of Cornell with Yale rounding out the group.

I agree with these comments.
L.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2007, 00:04
I also experienced Darden and Duke's application. Personally, I think Duke preferred those who have very high GMAT scores and the school emphasizes less on the rest of your application, which, however, both must be necessary in the ultra eilte cluster while, in constrast, Darden is concerned much with your well-rounded prefessional experience. If you think you do not have stellar numbers but impressive career progress, you might think more about Darden. Plus, the Darden's program focuses on high interation between students and professors and its culture is great. Picking one of two is also a very good choice at the elite cluster.

[quote="pelihu"]
I will also add that of all the schools that I considered (and it was a lot of them), Darden far and away valued personal contact the most. Their interview process is very personal and they really make an attempt to get to know each applicant as an individual. A number of other applicants (even some heading to other schools) have noted warm feeling they had when meeting with Darden. I believe the result is that in a sense, they value other things more highly that raw numbers. On the other hand, I think there is clear evidence that once they have made their decision, they will use available resources (scholarship money, personal contact, etc.) to try to get candidates with higher scores to attend.

[quote]
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2007, 05:34
What about Cornell?

Do you think they don't value high gmat scores more than other aspects of the application?

Or do they have trouble getting students with high gmat scores?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2007, 06:02
I believe Cornell avg. for last year is 680
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2007, 06:04
almost all elite schools' average GMAT score will go up next year.

For instance, Ross's average will be around 710.
  [#permalink] 26 Jun 2007, 06:04