Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Schools to apply for...yet to decide

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Schools to apply for...yet to decide [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 21:56
All, I am writing in the Gmat club forum after a year and half. My GMAT 2nd attempt was in Jan 2011 and scored 680 (Thanks to GMAT club for MGMAT free coaching classes). Did not had courage to apply to any schools with that score. Had to move back to India and went through the circus of career and family balance, adjusting to the metropolitan life. Now when I think about by MBA aspiration, I felt I should have applied for few schools in last year. I am not thinking to retake GMAT. So would like to decide on which schools to apply. I need help from the club members on this.

Work Exp: 11 years
GMAT score: 680
Mostly Focused on: 1 Year full time MBA
Interested in: Leadership and Corporate sustainability programs

I went though BSchool guides and different discussions on the admissions. I am still in confusion to decide on school list.

When I look at only 1 year drilled down to this list:
ISB, Insead, Judge, Said, IMD, Kellog

When I look at sustainability programs:
Judge, Columbia Business School, Tuck, Darden, Cornell, Daniels (University of Denver)

I did not consider the average GMAT of school at that time, but most of them have averages above 700 which is a minus for me.

Probably I missed other schools which are good at sustainability, with 1 year and with avg GMAT of around 680. If any of you know those please suggest the schools.

Also, looking forward for your valueable inputs on the schools that I should consider with my profile. I am aiming to select only 5 schools and apply.

+1Kudos, if this helps

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Schools to apply for...yet to decide [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 22:34
In my opinion, IMD Suits you the best basis whatever little I know from the above. It is an extremely strong program on leadership and sustainability, fits your age bracket well and your GMAT is definitely in range. My reasons for discounting/lower preference for other schools are the following:

INSEAD - Good program but not sure about strengths in leadership. Compared to IMD, definitely weaker in that area
ISB - Extremely competitive atmosphere. Put that in context to learning about leadership and sustainability, and its an automatic reject. Know enough people who went to ISB to tell you how extra competitive the students are
Judge - Too narrow in outlook. Largely UK centric and not a school known for leadership as much as the Cambridge name, which is more focused on research
Said - Same reasons as Judge - If you have to look at a school in UK, LBS, maybe Imperial but thats about it
Kellogg - Kellogg 1 year program is an excellent choice as well, probably second after IMD in your list

Do note that my comments differentiate between learning about/fostering leadership and being a (senior) leader going in who's looking to further cement leadership perspectives. I believe you fall in the latter - my criteria for leadership being your 11 years of work ex. Otherwise almost all Top 10-15 MBA colleges will (hopefully) make you a leader and this ranking is pointless eg: to say INSEAD alumni do not make good leaders would be blasphemous.

IMD is renowned globally for 'enhancing' participants rather than providing managers. The core reason being IMD's EXTENSIVE efforts to choose the right class - one of the only few schools where if you are unable to interview in Singapore, beirut etc. basis application deadline, you absolutely HAVE to go to their campus and spend an assessment day. they also have some excellent corporate centers - such as one on board governance and another on family businesses.

Hope this helps.

mads wrote:
All, I am writing in the Gmat club forum after a year and half. My GMAT 2nd attempt was in Jan 2011 and scored 680 (Thanks to GMAT club for MGMAT free coaching classes). Did not had courage to apply to any schools with that score. Had to move back to India and went through the circus of career and family balance, adjusting to the metropolitan life. Now when I think about by MBA aspiration, I felt I should have applied for few schools in last year. I am not thinking to retake GMAT. So would like to decide on which schools to apply. I need help from the club members on this.

Work Exp: 11 years
GMAT score: 680
Mostly Focused on: 1 Year full time MBA
Interested in: Leadership and Corporate sustainability programs

I went though BSchool guides and different discussions on the admissions. I am still in confusion to decide on school list.

When I look at only 1 year drilled down to this list:
ISB, Insead, Judge, Said, IMD, Kellog

When I look at sustainability programs:
Judge, Columbia Business School, Tuck, Darden, Cornell, Daniels (University of Denver)

I did not consider the average GMAT of school at that time, but most of them have averages above 700 which is a minus for me.

Probably I missed other schools which are good at sustainability, with 1 year and with avg GMAT of around 680. If any of you know those please suggest the schools.

Also, looking forward for your valueable inputs on the schools that I should consider with my profile. I am aiming to select only 5 schools and apply.

http://unclearadmit.tumblr.com
Latest Blog Entry:
09-05-13 Its been too long ... Updates & the Tuck Loan

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Schools to apply for...yet to decide [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 01:26
Thank you str1der.
I agree with you on the leadership programs. I am not looking for learning about leadership to become one, rather I need to enhace my existing capabilities to help me in climbing the career ladder.
IMD is a good choice for me then with only exception that I need to apply in round4 which again is not a good option, as I thought applying in first rounds will have a better chances of admission.
The reason why I looked at other schools in US was because of their sustainability course offerings. Especially Columbia Business School, Tuck, Darden. I know the competition is pretty high there and bleak chances of me getting through. And also the average age seems to be low compared to my age group.

Any other good schools for 1 year MBA?

+1Kudos, if this helps

Retired Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Schools to apply for...yet to decide [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 21:09
mads wrote:
Thank you str1der.
I agree with you on the leadership programs. I am not looking for learning about leadership to become one, rather I need to enhace my existing capabilities to help me in climbing the career ladder.
IMD is a good choice for me then with only exception that I need to apply in round4 which again is not a good option, as I thought applying in first rounds will have a better chances of admission.
The reason why I looked at other schools in US was because of their sustainability course offerings. Especially Columbia Business School, Tuck, Darden. I know the competition is pretty high there and bleak chances of me getting through. And also the average age seems to be low compared to my age group.

Any other good schools for 1 year MBA?

Pretty much the list above. I would not worry about Round 4 for IMD - you should use the optional essay space to write why you are applying later than you might have wanted to, reinforcing that you understand you would now need to fly to Switzerland than Singapore for the interview, but you would have wanted that anyways as you would have liked to visit the campus and attend the full day etc. etc.

Also, the IMD team is super helpful and super responsive. So if you have questions etc. shoot away! all the best

http://unclearadmit.tumblr.com
Latest Blog Entry:
09-05-13 Its been too long ... Updates & the Tuck Loan

Re: Schools to apply for...yet to decide   [#permalink] 08 Jun 2012, 21:09