Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 03:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

schools with emphasis on entrepreneurship

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 277 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
schools with emphasis on entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2008, 09:27
This post received
KUDOS
Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question.... Please suggest me some schools which have emphasis on entrepreneurship ( as of now I have 2 years of full time, non-managerial work ex). I would prefer American schools but am open to European schools as well.

Any help appreciated. Thanks a Lot.

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Check out my GMAT blog - GMAT Tips and Strategies

SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: schools with emphasis on entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2008, 09:49
Babson (Olin)?

And if you're aiming a little higher, CBS, Wharton and Haas depending on whether you're interested in new "product" or "service" ventures.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: schools with emphasis on entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2008, 10:21
Thanks for your reply solaris. I really appreciate it; I generally end up deleting my questions cuz i get NO replies :)

As suggested by you, Babson(olin) is definitely one of the colleges I am appplying. BTW I have not yet taken up the GMAT.

Considering my experience (as mentioned earlier : just 2 years, non-managerial) and my general profile (nothing stellar), I'd request you to suggest some good colleges (CBS, Haas, Stanford, and Wharton seem out of reach for me :( ).

I feel Tier-I colleges will throw my application out :( :( . So, i guess its Tier-II colleges for my profile.

Thanks again for your reply.

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [1] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: schools with emphasis on entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2008, 10:53
This post received
KUDOS
The thing with having entrepreneurial ambitions is that they're generally best served by going to the best school you can get in to, as opposed to the school with a strong focus on entrepreneurship.

Unless you're going to return to a family business, I would suggest you wait a year or two, strengthen your profile and then try for CBS, Wharton, Haas etc. The professional network, opportunities for seed funding, and general resume credibility these schools offer may turn out to be far more valuable in the long run than an MBA from Olin. That said, Olin has consistently been very well recognized for its strength in entrepreneurship. But keep the advantages of going to an elite school in mind.

I don't really know much about schools outside of the top 16, so not sure I can make any further suggestions there.

And you're certainly not going to get any replies to your questions if you keep deleting them! :wink:
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 277 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: schools with emphasis on entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2008, 20:31
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks Solaris,

I will focus on getting more exposure in terms of my career. And I will do anything and everything that will lead me to my dreams. In few years time, I hope to wow the Adcomms at CBS, wharton and the likes with my application :)

Thanks again Solaris. Your advise has actually forced me to re-consider my life goals. +5

P.S. : I wont delete my questions here on 8-)

EDIT:WHAT HAPPENED TO THE KUDOS FEATURE ?? ITS MISSING !!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: schools with emphasis on entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2008, 00:59
Have you considered UCLA or University of Maryland? Maryland's Smith Business School has the Dingman Center for Entrepreneurship where they will help you with writing business proposals and seeking venture capitalist funding.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: schools with emphasis on entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2008, 11:00
thanks for your reply smileygurl... I will definitely check on those schools :)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: schools with emphasis on entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2008, 09:36
Check out Wisconsin as well....

They have an entire program dedicated to Ent, very solid program
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: schools with emphasis on entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2008, 10:49
Will definitely check out ignitedmind. Thanks for your suggestion :)

And ya, congrats on your GMAT score. Have you burnt the books already :) ?

Current Student
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: schools with emphasis on entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 07:13
hmm...
being an entrepreneur...
i can say one thing, entrepreneurship is not something that can be taught...
it has to be experienced.
risk taking is something no one can teach you.
But at the same time, i would say that the above mentioned colleges are good, cos u will find similar thinking people coming over there...(sorry if it sounds harsh, but thats the reality my friend :P ]
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: schools with emphasis on entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 08:48
arjtryarjtry wrote:
hmm...
being an entrepreneur...
i can say one thing, entrepreneurship is not something that can be taught...
it has to be experienced.
risk taking is something no one can teach you.
But at the same time, i would say that the above mentioned colleges are good, cos u will find similar thinking people coming over there...(sorry if it sounds harsh, but thats the reality my friend :P ]

arj :)

I am well aware of the fact that business can't be learned through books/lectures :) The sole reason I am looking for schools with emphasis on entrepreneurship cuz I want to learn from people who have similar aspirations ( as you mentioned in your post )

I know you are right cuz I know for a fact that you are an entrepreneur. You are doing things I have been wanting to do all this while.

Thanks again for your post :)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: schools with emphasis on entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 11:04
my line of thinking is like yours amitgr. i want to surround myself with people who want to be entrepreneurs
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: General Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: schools with emphasis on entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 02:47
gt7er wrote:
my line of thinking is like yours amitgr. i want to surround myself with people who want to be entrepreneurs

If you really wanna be surrounded by entrepreneurship mindset, Go take a look at the Babson website and scout their courses..... That's one program custom-made for entrepreneurship......

Eat like a Pig, Lift like a Demon & Sleep like Dead.............

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: schools with emphasis on entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2008, 14:52
This program is only 6 or 7 years old, so it will take a while to gain traction, but it's entirely focused on entrpreneurship.
http://www.actonmba.org/

The school was founded by a combination of ex-UT professors and entrepreneurs. The teaching style is almost entirely experiential (90-hour work weeks), and the tuition is repaid throughout your career.

It's not for everyone, but it's an interesting program. Austin is a great place to get your entrepreneurial feet wet :)

If you prefer a top 25 program, check out: Stanford, Haas, UCLA, USC, UT-Austin, etc. USC and UT-Austin are both considered to be great schools for entrepreneurship with pretty soft admission requirements.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Ross,Johnson, Darden, McCombs, Simon

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: schools with emphasis on entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2008, 16:11
Avernusaur, I discovered that program while searching for info on UT and was intrigued. I actually visited that program while I was in Austin visiting McCombs. The program was interesting, not for me, but I like the idea and concept behind it.
Re: schools with emphasis on entrepreneurship   [#permalink] 03 Nov 2008, 16:11