Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Oct 2014, 04:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Schools with emphasis on entrepreneurship

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 293 [0], given: 1

Schools with emphasis on entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2008, 09:47
Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question.... Please suggest me some schools which have emphasis on entrepreneurship ( as of now I have 2 years of full time, non-managerial work ex). I would prefer American schools but am open to European schools as well.

Any help appreciated. Thanks a Lot.

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Check out my GMAT blog - GMAT Tips and Strategies

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

Re: Schools with emphasis on entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2008, 12:14
I am also looking for same information.
Also looking for the Bschools those give emphasis on entrepreneurship development and increase networking prospects with successful start up founders.

Nobody dies a virgin, life screws us all.

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 15

Re: Schools with emphasis on entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2008, 06:37
This post received
KUDOS
In the US, I would think Stanford, Berkeley and MIT are generally at the top of the entrepreneurship list, if not just for their connections with local tech/bio hubs and affiliation with strong tech-oriented schools. Outside of the US, I believe that Oxford and Cambridge like to tout their entrepreneurship credentials, also at least partly due to location and broader university affiliation.

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP

Re: Schools with emphasis on entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2008, 07:10
rca215 wrote:
In the US, I would think Stanford, Berkeley and MIT are generally at the top of the entrepreneurship list, if not just for their connections with local tech/bio hubs and affiliation with strong tech-oriented schools. Outside of the US, I believe that Oxford and Cambridge like to tout their entrepreneurship credentials, also at least partly due to location and broader university affiliation.

rca !! that is a pretty useful post ... +1 for you...

are entrepreneurs required to show a lot of work-ex ?? I don't have "lot"

Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

Re: Schools with emphasis on entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2008, 06:40
amitdgr wrote:
rca215 wrote:

I don't think there's a strict rule one way or the other, but I do believe that some schools trend towards younger vs. older students (of the ones I listed, I think only Stanford has a younger "bias", for lack of better word). That said, if you go in with a big entrepreneurship push in you application essays then I imagine you would have to have something that demonstrates a relevant interest or history, even if it is academic or extra-curricular instead of professional.

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP

Re: Schools with emphasis on entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2008, 10:18
rca215 wrote:
amitdgr wrote:
rca215 wrote:

I don't think there's a strict rule one way or the other, but I do believe that some schools trend towards younger vs. older students (of the ones I listed, I think only Stanford has a younger "bias", for lack of better word). That said, if you go in with a big entrepreneurship push in you application essays then I imagine you would have to have something that demonstrates a relevant interest or history, even if it is academic or extra-curricular instead of professional.

I understand from the last line that I should show them that --- "Yes! I have the entrepreneurial spirit in me and look what I have done for it so far" ....

Did I interpret it right?

Thanks, I really appreciate your help :)

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 10

Re: Schools with emphasis on entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2008, 18:41
It depends on what you classify as entreprenurial whether that be setting up businesses, joiing start-ups, or just generally being creative in a business-sense.

Maybe a bit biaised, but my current school (HKUST) is on the right track. Theya re in the process of networking the entreprenurial centre with the MBA program. What this means is that some of the research that the professors do can be productised. A new hire has been made to specifically link business with the research. This means MBA's have the opportunity to productise these technologies and be able to set up a company within the schools incubation centre with the goal of taking the company into the market. The new hire also links with angel investors and VC's in the community to try to bridge the funding gap after the company has reached a more mature stage.

It's in the set-up phase of the process so it's still early days yet.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: Schools with emphasis on entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2008, 18:49
darden has lots of electives on entrepreneuship, plus it has quite a few spots for entrepreneurs (sponsored summer jobs for entrepreneurs) and also several recent grad companies recruting around for summer and some FT
Manager
Manager

Re: Schools with emphasis on entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2008, 18:50
but yes, MIT and Stanford are also ok in that field
ehehehe
Manager
Manager

Re: Schools with emphasis on entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2008, 18:51
in Europe IE or IESE...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: St. Gallen '09

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 5

Re: Schools with emphasis on entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2008, 15:45
At St. Gallen, we can take an elective on Entrepreneurship that allows us to work with a start-up company for a few months.

I am taking the elective next semester, and I'm pretty excited about this opportunity.
Re: Schools with emphasis on entrepreneurship   [#permalink] 06 Dec 2008, 15:45