Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:52 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2727 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Schools with emphasis on entrepreneurship [#permalink]
rca215 wrote:
In the US, I would think Stanford, Berkeley and MIT are generally at the top of the entrepreneurship list, if not just for their connections with local tech/bio hubs and affiliation with strong tech-oriented schools. Outside of the US, I believe that Oxford and Cambridge like to tout their entrepreneurship credentials, also at least partly due to location and broader university affiliation.

rca !! that is a pretty useful post ... +1 for you...

are entrepreneurs required to show a lot of work-ex ?? I don't have "lot"
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
amitdgr wrote:
rca215 wrote:
In the US, I would think Stanford, Berkeley and MIT are generally at the top of the entrepreneurship list, if not just for their connections with local tech/bio hubs and affiliation with strong tech-oriented schools. Outside of the US, I believe that Oxford and Cambridge like to tout their entrepreneurship credentials, also at least partly due to location and broader university affiliation.

I don't think there's a strict rule one way or the other, but I do believe that some schools trend towards younger vs. older students (of the ones I listed, I think only Stanford has a younger "bias", for lack of better word). That said, if you go in with a big entrepreneurship push in you application essays then I imagine you would have to have something that demonstrates a relevant interest or history, even if it is academic or extra-curricular instead of professional.
Director
Director
Send PM
rca215 wrote:
amitdgr wrote:
rca215 wrote:

I don't think there's a strict rule one way or the other, but I do believe that some schools trend towards younger vs. older students (of the ones I listed, I think only Stanford has a younger "bias", for lack of better word). That said, if you go in with a big entrepreneurship push in you application essays then I imagine you would have to have something that demonstrates a relevant interest or history, even if it is academic or extra-curricular instead of professional.

I understand from the last line that I should show them that --- "Yes! I have the entrepreneurial spirit in me and look what I have done for it so far" ....

Did I interpret it right?

Thanks, I really appreciate your help :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
It depends on what you classify as entreprenurial whether that be setting up businesses, joiing start-ups, or just generally being creative in a business-sense.

Maybe a bit biaised, but my current school (HKUST) is on the right track. Theya re in the process of networking the entreprenurial centre with the MBA program. What this means is that some of the research that the professors do can be productised. A new hire has been made to specifically link business with the research. This means MBA's have the opportunity to productise these technologies and be able to set up a company within the schools incubation centre with the goal of taking the company into the market. The new hire also links with angel investors and VC's in the community to try to bridge the funding gap after the company has reached a more mature stage.

It's in the set-up phase of the process so it's still early days yet.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
darden has lots of electives on entrepreneuship, plus it has quite a few spots for entrepreneurs (sponsored summer jobs for entrepreneurs) and also several recent grad companies recruting around for summer and some FT
Manager
Manager
Send PM
but yes, MIT and Stanford are also ok in that field
ehehehe
Manager
Manager
Send PM
in Europe IE or IESE...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management
Schools:St. Gallen '09
 Q47  V40
Send PM
At St. Gallen, we can take an elective on Entrepreneurship that allows us to work with a start-up company for a few months.

I am taking the elective next semester, and I'm pretty excited about this opportunity.
GMAT Club Bot