Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, Brand Management
Schools:Schulich class of 2012
 Q35  V48
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
 Q35  V48
Send PM
Re: Schulich September 2011 - Intake [#permalink]
Derek57 wrote:
greekhero wrote:
I checked with my app status for Schulich in Myfile. It says: reviewed-unsuccessful. Anyone knows what does that mean? Am I rejected by York?

Call them is the best bet.

krussell wrote:
Derek57 wrote:

Strengths are its whacky programs like Real Estate, Sustainability, Non Profit etc. The school seems very strong in strategy and offers a very wide variety of courses, which is its other strength.

The school is very social and most people live away from campus because that area is terrible. Popular areas for Schulich students are Yonge & Eg, St. Clair West, and the Annex. All that being said, it's hard to meet people outside of Schulich and there is a lot of type-A MBA attitude at the school, which gives me anxiety sometimes.

Language skills are sometimes an issue, but you'll get that at any b-school in Canada.

You can take courses elsewhere or individual study if you want. There's a pretty simple application process for that, but I don't think it's hard to do.

Thanks! Looks like there's still not a lot to choose between Schulich and Rotman. I have the unhappy feeling it will come down to a sort of random selection. Oh well, could be worse!

My wife will likely be going to UofT (MSW), do you happen to know how long it takes to get from the Annex and Yonge and Eglington to York (driving or by transit)??

I live at Yonge & Eg and it takes me about 45 minutes. My friend lives at Spadina & Bloor and I drive her home sometimes which takes about the same.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Derek57 wrote:
greekhero wrote:
I checked with my app status for Schulich in Myfile. It says: reviewed-unsuccessful. Anyone knows what does that mean? Am I rejected by York?

Yeh, I called admission yesterday and they confirmed the rejection with me and a few hours later I received my rejection letter and it indicated that: the positive factors in my life can't compensate for my IELTS and GMAT (AWA).

It is weird, since I achieved 7.0 in my IELTS (L7.5 R7 W6.5 S6.5)and 4.5 in GMAT (AWA), it seems, there is nothing need to be compensate for.

I just can't get it. I have 5 years' solid working experiences in world's top 3 banking organziation(Citi, JP Morgan, Standard Chartend) and achieved GMAT 680 (Q50 V31). Is Schulich too difficult for the person with above background? Any advice would be helpful.

Originally posted by greekhero on 06 Apr 2011, 18:47.
Last edited by greekhero on 06 Apr 2011, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
 Q35  V48
Send PM
greekhero wrote:
Derek57 wrote:
greekhero wrote:

Yeh, I called admission yesterday and they confirmed the rejection with me and a few hours later I received my rejection letter and it indicated that: the positive factors in my life can't compensate for my IELTS and GMAT (AWA).

It is weird, since I achieved 7.0 in my IELTS (L7.5 R7 W6.5 S6.5)and 4.5 in GMAT (AWA), it seems, there is nothing need to be compensate for.

I just can't get it. I have 5 years' solid working experiences in world's top 3 banking organziation and achieved GMAT 680 (Q50 V31). Is Schulich too difficult for the person with above background? Any advice would be helpful.

Everything happens for a reason, so don't get down :)

There's something bigger and better waiting for you... try Stanford!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:McGill Desautels Class of 2013
Send PM
greekhero wrote:
Derek57 wrote:
greekhero wrote:

I just can't get it. I have 5 years' solid working experiences in world's top 3 banking organziation(Citi, JP Morgan, Standard Chartend) and achieved GMAT 680 (Q50 V31). Is Schulich too difficult for the person with above background? Any advice would be helpful.

I don't know exactly what the IELTS score means, but an AWA score of 4.5 translates to roughly the 37th percentile which is not strong and a 31V translates to only a 58th percentile score which would be below the average for Verbal at Schulich. Although the GMAT score as a whole is strong, I strongly suggest that you rewrite the exam and look to level out that Q/V split. With an evened-out score an admit through the re-application would be highly likely
Intern
Intern
Send PM
To: krussell and FergTron

Thanks to both of you, really appreciated
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Well, after a 15-week wait I've been rejected without interview. Overall, I'm disappointed in the result but had committed to another program which I valued higher than Schulich in the interim. I have to say that although the admissions folks are extremely friendly and available via email, the application process (for me at least) was an absolute disaster compared to the way I was dealt with by other schools. My profile is particularly strange and that likely led to my being rejected and I have no issue with that, but the length of the process, the multiple and significant delays and the fact that while my file was being "delayed" others were getting prompt admission decisions has left me with a pretty bad taste in my mouth regarding the Schulich School of Business.

Having said that, its a very strong program with extremely diverse offerings and a noted global brand recognition. Those of you who are attending or who will attend in the future I wish the best of luck.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FergTron wrote:
Well, after a 15-week wait I've been rejected without interview. Overall, I'm disappointed in the result but had committed to another program which I valued higher than Schulich in the interim. I have to say that although the admissions folks are extremely friendly and available via email, the application process (for me at least) was an absolute disaster compared to the way I was dealt with by other schools. My profile is particularly strange and that likely led to my being rejected and I have no issue with that, but the length of the process, the multiple and significant delays and the fact that while my file was being "delayed" others were getting prompt admission decisions has left me with a pretty bad taste in my mouth regarding the Schulich School of Business.

Having said that, its a very strong program with extremely diverse offerings and a noted global brand recognition. Those of you who are attending or who will attend in the future I wish the best of luck.

That's a shame. I am honestly pretty surprised that the law-school issue was that big of a deal. Are you going to Desautles then? Sounds like a very good school, and in a much better location!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I've been doing quite a bit of research, and am wondering if anyone has access to Schulich's alumni statistics? I am looking at Rotman's, and think this could be as telling as the grad statistics. Mostly I'm interested in the industries and the locations of grads. Schulich's the 'global' school, which I appreciate, but internationally focused classes only help so much, and I am wondering if the graduates actually get greater over-seas opportunities and recognition?? For UofT, as many grads work internationally, but it could just be that many UofT grads go to the USA, where York grads go all over the place. Or, York grads could just go primarily to South Asia/India.

The same thing goes for their focus in non-traditional industries: namely CSR, and non-profits. They're placements aren't that 'good' (then again I am not sure if you can say its good or bad when most grads probably don't want these jobs), and not much better than UofT. But it all depends on their staying power to - can they move into good positions, which effects whether or not Schulich has a good reputation and network in the CSR and non-profit community. Any thoughts/info?

Also:
for any current, or matriculating students. Any thoughts on areas of town to live? I would imagine Schulich students live everywhere. I wonder how much of an effect a bad dt commute would have on group work (newly married and don't want to be coming up at 11 from school every night).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Derek57 wrote:
FergTron wrote:

That's a shame. I am honestly pretty surprised that the law-school issue was that big of a deal. Are you going to Desautles then? Sounds like a very good school, and in a much better location!

Agree with Derek, What is your rejection letter says?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Derek57 wrote:
FergTron wrote:

Yeah, its off to Desautels for me. To be honest, I very likely would have matriculated there anyway but I would have loved to have the decision to make. McGill was my 2nd choice school behind Ross and ahead of Schulich at the start of the application season so I should count myself fortunate to have gotten into my 2nd choice school. I know I'll enjoy studying and living in downtown Montreal much better than I would have in North York, but its hard to deny the opportunities available to Schulich students or students of any of the top 3 programmes in Toronto. Either way, although I'm unhappy with the result, it is nice to finally be done with the process.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
greekhero wrote:
Derek57 wrote:
FergTron wrote:

Agree with Derek, What is your rejection letter says?

I haven't received the rejection letter yet but noticed my application status changed from "No decision yet" to "reviewed - unsuccessful" so I emailed one of the admissions folks that I had been corresponding with for clarification and she let me know that my application had indeed been rejected and although she'd personally recommended the application for admission, the majority of the committee couldn't look past my lackluster law school grades.

It is disappointing knowing that a poor decision to attend law school would affect my future in business it was something that I had prepared for before submitting the applications. I just find it strange that some schools totally ignore your graduate work when calculating GPA while others consider only the last "x" number of university credits or years regardless of the level or difficulty of the program. Ironically, I've been rejected on the basis of grades I received in a program that in all liklihood more than half of the incoming class wouldn't have been able to gain admission to. But again, I knew the grades could come back to haunt me at some schools and I really don't want to sound like a whiner because I contacted Schulich before submitting my application to ask specifically about how my GPA would be calculated and they told me quite honestly that those graduate credits would be used but that I could apply as a "special case" which I did.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
FergTron wrote:

Schulich is not the only one who takes forever to notify of a rejection. I have been rejected by Sauder, it took them 2 and a half months to inform me after the interview, and only because I have called myself! Thats one month after round one deadline! On top of that, they forgot that they have scheduled a phone interview for me! I had to call them and then hour later they found someone to conduct the interview. So dont be mad at Schulich, could have been worse as you can see. Can't blame Sauder for rejecting me, I was so excited to apply (its the first school I have applied too) I have had some serious errors in my second essay. On top of that, by the time my interview came, I was just notified that I have got in Schulich so I could care less about Sauder. I didnt prepare for the interview and it showed big time... Now I wish I have had prepared because no one likes to be rejected, and it bothers me... But yeah, I can totally sympathise with you, good luck in Montreal!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
olymbios wrote:

I submitted my application Feb 1, received my acceptance on Feb 15. Just called them this past Wednesday (March 30) and asked for an extension until Apr 15 to give me some time to weigh my offers. They were completely receptive and the extension was not a problem. Ask away!

I wonder what you said. I didn't make any excuses, just said I was still reviewing my options and they didn't give me an extension. 1 week :?

What did you end up deciding?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Derek57, have you come to any decision? I was offered admission to both Rotman and Schulich. I've decided to accept Schulich. I'd be happy to share my thoughts and analysis with you if you're interested - I have been researching both schools and programs for a long time and this was a seriously tough decision for me. I'd be interested in finding out which school you've decided on.

I was awarded advanced standing, giving me the ability to complete the program in eight months. I'm wondering if any current students might be able to shed some light on this - is it worth finishing the program in eight months? Pros/Cons?

krussell if you're still reading this, do you have any thoughts/suggestions on the accelerated MBA?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I havn't totally decided, but am leaning towards Rotman. Largely because my wife will also be studying at UofT at the same time - and both schools have parts that interest me, and others that worry me... almost to a perfectly even extent.

I just pm'd you on specifics.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross, Schulich, Rotman
 Q50  V42
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: 1 yr R&D Insurance
WE 2: 5 yrs BI Insurance
Send PM
Derek57 wrote:
I havn't totally decided, but am leaning towards Rotman. Largely because my wife will also be studying at UofT at the same time - and both schools have parts that interest me, and others that worry me... almost to a perfectly even extent.

I just pm'd you on specifics.

I also was leaning towards Rotman until Schulich threw a bunch of $ my way.
I enjoyed the small things Rotman did, like using my preferred name versus my given name (Schulich admins are still refusing to even allow my preferred name on my name card for classes). I also believed Rotman had better exchange choices for second year, which is important to me.

I still may end up rejection Schulich once I hear about my Ross (R3) application, since I was late to the whole MBA application party.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Interesting to hear you say that Rotman has better exchange options. I thought the opposite (I guess it may be what you find interesting) - Rotman to me only has LBS, which I'm assuming is pretty competitive amongst the finance folks at school.

Did you get your scholarship to Schulich with your admission, or seperately afterwards?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts