Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:03 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
WE:Sales (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: York University (Schulich) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Schulich (York) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Mamag7b wrote:
Sonugmat wrote:
Got the admit mail yesterday !! Planning to attend Schulich :-D

Congratulations on your admit. Can you please confirm the date you submitted your application and also interviewed.

Thank you and all the best.

Thank you :) I submitted my application on 5th Feb , Was interviewed on 22nd Feb and got the admit mail on 5th of march .
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I was interviewed for Schulich's Fall 2014 1.5 weeks back (Applied in Round 2). Is the 2 week window from interview till decision announcement the usual duration?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM Schulich(York) Admissions Blog: MBA/IMBA Video: MySchulich
Our highly anticipated MBA/IMBA video is here! In this installment of Schulich Point of View, we asked a number of current MBA and IMBA students to share their personal Schulich experience. Take a look!  
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '17
WE:Analyst (Retail)
Send PM
sahilchaudhary wrote:
arujmishra wrote:
sahilchaudhary wrote:
My score is 640 (Q 50 V 27). I have applied in R2.
Waiting for reply from Schulich.

Hi Sahil,

I submitted my application on 28th Feb. I guess it should be atleast 2 weeks before we hear anything from Schulich. When did you submit your application?

I submitted my app on 21st Feb.
Could you please share your profile?

GMAT-620
Bachelors degree in Economics
Masters in Fashion Management & Retail
7 years of work-ex in retail in India, Middle East and Europe
Primary work focus-Retail Analytics & Retail Buying

I think my GMAT score is a bit on the lower side.

Can you please share your profile?

B.Tech (IT)
3 yr IT work ex
Good extra curriculars (Volunteering

Now we just wait to hear from Schulich. Did u had any of those pre-admission interviews or attended any of the admission workshop? Just wondering who would take the interview and what type of questions they ask?

I didn't attend any pre admission interview or workshop.

Did you submit all the 4 essays?

I submitted 3 essays...2 usual and 1 for scholarship.

Hi,

Have you heard anything about the interview?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Schulich '16
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
Hello Friend,

I am thinking of applying for Jan2015 Batch. I want to know whether scholarship is available in January batch too and that too for international students.
Is there any significant difference between these the batch that starts in September and that starts in January?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Schulich '16
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
VersatileSchulich wrote:
Hi

I am current student at Schulich Business School, I have been following Schulich Business School and other Canadian B-schools for the last two years

It would be a pleasure to help you guys resolve your queries related to

1) Admission Process at Schulich
2) Any details related to credentials to Schulich
3) Understand Why Schulich could be/ could not be the best school for you
4) Any other details that can help you
Feel free you to post your queries at the thread or PM me

Thanks

Hello VersatileSchulich,

I was suggested that, I put my profile over here ask for your advice. Though I have sent a PM to you, any help/advice form anybody is appreciated.

Nationality: Indian
Educational Qualification: B.E.in Electronics & Telecommunications
B.tech Score : CGPA 8.43/10
GMAT Score: 690 (IR : 6, Quantitative: 49, Verbal : 34)
Work Experience: 5 years, 3 months with Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), an Indian IT company
International experience : 15 months of onsite experience in Japan
Role: Module leader, where in I am leading a group of 5-6 persons
Domain : Engineering and Industrial services (EIS), where my client is a car one of the biggest car company.
Extra Curricular: Trekking. I have not involved in much of extra-curricular activities in the past, but plan on doing so in the immediate future
Social service : Taking part in blood donation drive, helping poor with collection of materials for them etc.

I want your advice on.

1) Admission Process at Schulich. I heard there are 2 batches? I tried to find various deadline but couldn't find one
2) How well known is this brand in Canada and US?
3) Keeping my IT background in mind can Schulich be best school for me. I want to proceed ahead in consulting, general management, program management etc. I haven't done my research yet and still in the process. But it will be good to hear about the school from an insider.
4) Please evaluate my profile and tell me can I get the scholarship in this school with this profile. I know, there are other factors as well. But with this profile, what are my chances.
5) How good is placement service?
6) Is scholarship available in Jan Batch as well for international candidates.

If possible, I would like to have a personal conversation with you via skype or whatever way you prefer. Is it possible?

Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
WE:Operations (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Any update on Scholarship, guys? When will the scholarship decision be announced?
How are you guys planning on the expenses?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi deadlycat,

I am not solely relying on the CDC, its just that I am gauging what help can I get from the factors other than my own efforts. Once I am there, I will surely try to find out and network with the person behind the mask of deadlycat :) Who knows you might offer me a job position in your company. :)
BTW guys, do not get disheartened over the CDC. Schulich's CDC is making all out efforts to groom students to compete in the job market. Schulich has hired four executive coaches to mentor MBA students. Similar practice is followed across various US Schools and Rotman as well. Another Schulich student told me that the distance to downtown Toronto is the only disadvantage at Schulich.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
GPabla wrote:
Hi deadlycat,

I am not solely relying on the CDC, its just that I am gauging what help can I get from the factors other than my own efforts. Once I am there, I will surely try to find out and network with the person behind the mask of deadlycat :) Who knows you might offer me a job position in your company. :)
BTW guys, do not get disheartened over the CDC. Schulich's CDC is making all out efforts to groom students to compete in the job market. Schulich has hired four executive coaches to mentor MBA students. Similar practice is followed across various US Schools and Rotman as well. Another Schulich student told me that the distance to downtown Toronto is the only disadvantage at Schulich.

CDC making an effort: True from what I can tell

Distance to downtown: Partly true, this is why Schulich has a campus (Nadal) in the heart of the financial district. Most of the students here works full time and attend class part time. If I was an international student and looking for a job, I would take as much courses there as I possibly could. The reason is not so that I can ask people for a job (people don't like being used like that), but to see how actual Canadian working professional act and think. There are definite cultural differences coming from over sea and it would really help your job search in Canada to observe a number of Canadian working professionals. People's personalities varies but there are definite common traits that powers success. Look to develop and acquire these skills and your job search will be fine :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
deadlycat wrote:
GPabla wrote:
Hi deadlycat,

CDC making an effort: True from what I can tell

Distance to downtown: Partly true, this is why Schulich has a campus (Nadal) in the heart of the financial district. Most of the students here works full time and attend class part time. If I was an international student and looking for a job, I would take as much courses there as I possibly could. The reason is not so that I can ask people for a job (people don't like being used like that), but to see how actual Canadian working professional act and think. There are definite cultural differences coming from over sea and it would really help your job search in Canada to observe a number of Canadian working professionals. People's personalities varies but there are definite common traits that powers success. Look to develop and acquire these skills and your job search will be fine :)

You are working full time and studying for MBA as well, but still you manage to pour in your highly useful perspective here. Heartfelt Kudos to you for taking time out of your schedule and replying to our queries.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 261 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 540 Q50 V15
GMAT 2: 640 Q50 V27
GPA: 3.11
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Interviewed for Schulich on 13th March...interview lasted a total of 19 minutes instead of usual 30 minutes.
Interview went well.
GMAT 640
3 yr IT work ex
Good EC
Indian IT Male

Yesterday, I received an email from Schulich stating that I have been denied admission.
Feeling a bit sad.
Intern
Intern
WE:Sales (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
sahilchaudhary wrote:
Interviewed for Schulich on 13th March...interview lasted a total of 19 minutes instead of usual 30 minutes.
Interview went well.
GMAT 640
3 yr IT work ex
Good EC
Indian IT Male

Yesterday, I received an email from Schulich stating that I have been denied admission.
Feeling a bit sad.

Wow....keep your head up. Am sure something good will come out of this.

Cheers.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Got admission in MBA in India Program
Intern
Intern
Send PM
deadlycat wrote:
GPabla wrote:
Hi arujmishra

If you are in India, you will most likely get the interview call from someone sitting at Schulich's Hyderabad campus. It will be a one on one call where you will be asked the usual questions unless there's something peculiar in your app. Stay relaxed and prepared with the answers on your profile.

deadlycat,
In a Year 2012 post, someone mentioned that Schulich's Career Development Centre is 90% useless. How would you rate the Schulich's CDC so far? Do they still refer students to linkedin or play a pivotal role in ensuring that students are placed well and soon after graduation?

I read an article where Schulich's Dean was quoted as - “The Canadian market is stagnating,” he said. “There are not many companies that hire MBAs beyond accounting firms and banks. And although the natural resource sector is growing, they generally don’t need MBAs.”

Is that a warning for International students with non-finance background planning to pursue Canadian MBA?

I don't know enough to comment on the CDC since I haven't had the need for any of their services, but honestly though, if you're relying heavily on the CDC to help you find jobs then you're approaching this MBA thing all wrong. One of the most important realizations that I've had so far during my MBA education is that the whole program is a big networking and interviewing event. For example, I've been offered jobs several times during group work because someone else in my group enjoyed working with me and would like me to join their company. This is actually a common occurrence in my cohort where people are constantly looking to bring talent to join their team. The jobs are there if you know the right people and they like you. In truth, the friends you make in your class are far more important than what you learn in them.

That is why I feel the much of the anger toward the CDC is misplaced. The CDC might be 90% useless, but they only play a supporting role in the job search. Ultimately, the main responsibility lies with the student. If the student fails at the game of networking and are unable to make any fruitful connection after 2 years in the program, then that just show a distinct lack of soft skills and situational awareness. The CDC, no matter how good would have trouble finding companies to hire those types of students.

Hi DeadlyCat!

Thanks a ton for all the info you've shared so far.

I'm from India and have applied to the Masters in Finance Program. I've been working 2yrs + in a bank in an administrative role. I do not have any experience in Financial Analysis, but really want to go for a finance specialization and thus have applied to Schulich, because after hours of research I've come to the conclusion
that Schulich is second to only Rotman in Canada for Finance.

Can you please share the employment prospects for the Masters in Finance students, specifically for a student from India? How good is the program considering its just 5 years old? Also, the site does not mention the actual class size apart from various mentions on the class strength being very small. An actual figure would really help.

Is is also true that since the MF program is one year the work permit allotted on the basis of this is also for just one year in comparison with the 3 year work permit given to M.B.A students?

Thanks again!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Send PM
ProfD wrote:
Hi DeadlyCat!

Thanks a ton for all the info you've shared so far.

I'm from India and have applied to the Masters in Finance Program. I've been working 2yrs + in a bank in an administrative role. I do not have any experience in Financial Analysis, but really want to go for a finance specialization and thus have applied to Schulich, because after hours of research I've come to the conclusion
that Schulich is second to only Rotman in Canada for Finance.

Can you please share the employment prospects for the Masters in Finance students, specifically for a student from India? How good is the program considering its just 5 years old? Also, the site does not mention the actual class size apart from various mentions on the class strength being very small. An actual figure would really help.

Is is also true that since the MF program is one year the work permit allotted on the basis of this is also for just one year in comparison with the 3 year work permit given to M.B.A students?

Thanks again!

As of right now, you know far more about Schulich's Master of Finance program than I do, which is practically zero. I believe the work permit length correspond to the length of the program, so MF would be one year and MBA would be two (not 100% sure on this though, you should verify it through official sources). Telling immigration officers that "deadlycat from gmatclub forum said I could stay" won't work unfortunately.

If finance is really your thing, Rotman would probably be the better school to apply to. Rotman is finance focused and will better prepare you for a future in that field.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
deadlycat, a question just came up my mind. With a GMAT score of 750, what made you attempt to tame the bull again? Was it that the earlier score had expired?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 261 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 540 Q50 V15
GMAT 2: 640 Q50 V27
GPA: 3.11
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
GPabla wrote:
deadlycat, a question just came up my mind. With a GMAT score of 750, what made you attempt to tame the bull again? Was it that the earlier score had expired?

Even I was wondering this...but didn't asked.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts