Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Jul 2014, 23:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Schulich (York) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2013
Posts: 26
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Schulich (York) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2013, 08:22
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
BSchool Thread Master
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2013
Posts: 26
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Schulich (York) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2013, 20:48
Hi

I am current student at Schulich Business School, I have been following Schulich Business School and other Canadian B-schools for the last two years

It would be a pleasure to help you guys resolve your queries related to

1) Admission Process at Schulich
2) Any details related to credentials to Schulich
3) Understand Why Schulich could be/ could not be the best school for you
4) Any other details that can help you
Feel free you to post your queries at the thread or PM me

Thanks
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Status: Application process
Joined: 23 Jan 2013
Posts: 33
Location: India
GMAT 1: 600 Q50 V22
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.39
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 12

Re: Schulich (York) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2013, 06:03
Hi ,

I will shortly be submitting my application for the January 2014 intake .

I have the following questions :

1 ) With the rupee tumbling is it still worth a shot .
2 ) What are the job and PR prospects post MBA .
3 ) How would you rate the internship ?

I am an indian student with a 650 in GMAT and around 3 years of IT experience and another 8 months of Social Media Marketing experience .
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2013
Posts: 26
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Schulich (York) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2013, 05:31
1
This post received
KUDOS
madhurvashisht wrote:
Hi ,

I will shortly be submitting my application for the January 2014 intake .

I have the following questions :

1 ) With the rupee tumbling is it still worth a shot .
2 ) What are the job and PR prospects post MBA .
3 ) How would you rate the internship ?

I am an indian student with a 650 in GMAT and around 3 years of IT experience and another 8 months of Social Media Marketing experience .


Hi,

Thanks for writing here, please find revert on your individual point

1 ) With the rupee tumbling is it still worth a shot .

Ideally, an MBA is always taken as a long term investment, leading to a long term career. When you invest your money with the right program (qualitative enough to equip you with right skill set to achieve your professional goal - be it entrepreneurship, a dream job or venture into non profit etc. ), I am sure you would not worry much about the investments that you make because you are sure that this investment is gonna make you get big returns in future.

Above all, you still have an option to choose Schulich India Camps where you can save some money in terms of living cost

a) You do first year of your MBA at Schulich Business School, Hyderabad - Indian Campus
b) You come to Schulich Canada Campus for your Second year of MBA.

Overall, I would suggest not to worry about the investment ( I would not say cost, because i believe that MBA is an Investment not Cost :) )

2 ) What are the job and PR prospects post MBA .

Job Prospects : Schulich Business School has been ranked among top business schools not only in North America but also in the world. You may refer to below mentioned link to get more insights on the same

http://schulich.yorku.ca/client/schulic ... enDocument

You might also want to refer to the latest placement report

http://www.schulich.yorku.ca/client/sch ... enDocument

Schulich Business School has full time CDC (Career Development Centre) that closely works with the employers for increasing full time and internship opportunities for its students.

The School has a huge alumni base spread across 60 countries. When you are a part of Schulich Alumni, you can explore opportunities worldwide.

With qualitative professors, diversified student community and excellent infrastructure, Schulich Business School has all the reasons to help you achieve your dream job.

PR Prospects :

Permanent Residency (PR) is issued by Govt of Canada and the you may refer the website http://www.CIC.gc.ca for the technicalities for the same.

However, you are eligible to apply for THREE years work permit once you have completed two years MBA at Schulich Business School whereas with one year MBA at canada (with any other business school) , you can primarily apply for one year work permit only.

Overall, Canada is an immigrant friendly country

3 ) How would you rate the internship ?

As mentioned in the point 2, the CDC - Career Development Centre - closely works with the employer throughout the year to bring maximum opportunities for students. If you need any more specific information you can see refer the below mentioned link

http://www.schulich.yorku.ca/client/sch ... enDocument

I have tried to give the best possible answer to your Question, you may feel free to revert to me if you need any more information

Lastly, I would suggest you to apply as early as possible, you may PM me if you need any help on application

Thanks
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2013
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Schulich (York) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 16:01
Hey versatileschulich

Thanks very much for sharing so detailed information

I have met admissions directors at various events, but this is a great insight from current student, i was seriously looking to get in touch with a current student from the school to learn about the true picture

I request you to help me with the application tips, i have already submitted my application to Queens and Rotman. After going through the credentials posted by you, I really wanna submit my application to Schulich

I request you to also let me know the available specializations at schulich and the opportunities that i can have to be a part of different clubs at schulich

Cheers
John
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2013
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Schulich (York) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 16:02
Hey versatileschulich

Thanks very much for sharing so detailed information

I have met admissions directors at various events, but this is a great insight from current student, i was seriously looking to get in touch with a current student from the school to learn about the true picture

I request you to help me with the application tips, i have already submitted my application to Queens and Rotman. After going through the credentials posted by you, I really wanna submit my application to Schulich

I request you to also let me know the available specializations at schulich and the opportunities that i can have to be a part of different clubs at schulich

Cheers
John
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Aug 2013
Posts: 24
GPA: 4
WE: Military Officer (Transportation)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 10

Re: Schulich (York) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 04:03
hello,
Can i apply to York university with GMAT 590(48V/23Q)
As i got less than 50 percentile in verbal is this acceptable?
my background:-
Indian Male mid 20's
CGPA-9.58/10
University -BITS PILANI for graduation
Achivements-Runner-Up for Gold Medal,Batch topper,State chess winner,Cadet captain
WorkeX-4 years in Merchant Navy
Rank -Second officer
Volunteer - Child education program, Active member of NGO Punjab Anti-cruption

I am interested in MBA From Schulich.
BSchool Thread Master
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2013
Posts: 26
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Schulich (York) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2013, 06:36
JohnC wrote:
Hey versatileschulich

Thanks very much for sharing so detailed information

I have met admissions directors at various events, but this is a great insight from current student, i was seriously looking to get in touch with a current student from the school to learn about the true picture

I request you to help me with the application tips, i have already submitted my application to Queens and Rotman. After going through the credentials posted by you, I really wanna submit my application to Schulich

I request you to also let me know the available specializations at schulich and the opportunities that i can have to be a part of different clubs at schulich

Cheers
John


Hello JohnC

Thanks for writing to us here

Please find the response to your query below

1) Specializations at Schulich

Schulich Business School offers wide range of specializations, you can find unique specializations such as Mining , Health Industry Management, Sustainability etc.
At the same time, all general specializations such as Finance, Consulting, Marketing etc. are also available.

At Schulich, you get an opportunity to excel in the area that you want to excel at. The entire list of specialization is given at the schulich website, please find the link for the same for your reference

http://schulich.yorku.ca/client/schulic ... enDocument

Feel free to get back to me for any further details in Specialization.

2) Clubs at Schulich

Schulich is the most International School in Canada since it draws students from all over the world. At Schulich, you get an opportunity to be a part of diverse clubs ranging from the conventional Finance, Marketing, Consulting clubs to specialized clubs such as Supply chain and operations management, Non Profit Management Association Club etc. You get a lot of learning opportunities by being a part of learning clubs such as - Case Analysis Club.

Please find the link where you can find the list of all the clubs

http://gbc.schulich.yorku.ca/clubs/

3) Applications Tips

Essays - Share a compelling story, share your experiences as a professional and as a human being. I suggest you present a 360 degree picture of your personality to the adcom in the essays.

Interview - Be confident in your Interview, and do not miss to exhibit your strengths with real life examples while answering interview questions.

I would recommend you to apply as soon as possible since getting into Schulich is very competitive and I am sure you would not want to miss a chance.

If you think you need any more information on the same, please feel free to PM me or post your query here.

Thanks
BSchool Thread Master
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2013
Posts: 26
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Schulich (York) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2013, 06:54
Navy wrote:
hello,
Can i apply to York university with GMAT 590(48V/23Q)
As i got less than 50 percentile in verbal is this acceptable?
my background:-
Indian Male mid 20's
CGPA-9.58/10
University -BITS PILANI for graduation
Achivements-Runner-Up for Gold Medal,Batch topper,State chess winner,Cadet captain
WorkeX-4 years in Merchant Navy
Rank -Second officer
Volunteer - Child education program, Active member of NGO Punjab Anti-cruption

I am interested in MBA From Schulich.


Hello

Thanks for sharing your profile here

Admissions at the Schulich Business School depends on various factors such as

1) GMAT
2) Essays
3) Recommendations
4) Interview
5) Work Experience, Diversity etc

I would suggest you to re-take your GMAT (if you can) since your score is way below the average score for the school, however you can always demonstrate your strengths in other areas.

If you think you can not retake GMAT, I would suggest you to give a best shot for your application with a compelling story.

For any other clarification or information, please feel free to get in touch with me

Thanks
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Sep 2013
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Schulich (York) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2013, 11:57
Hi,
@VersatileSchulich

Please evaluate my profile

GMAT: 690(Q49 81% and V35 75%)
Background: E&Ec engineer from India
Work ex: Approx 5 years
GPA: 3.3
Extracurricular activities: Very Good
Age: 26 years

I'm currently looking at colleges with a maximum tuition fee of $50000(CAD). I understand that schulich's fee comes around to $75000. Do i have a chance of getting around $25000 scholarship?
Also, what other colleges could i pursue?
BSchool Thread Master
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2013
Posts: 26
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Schulich (York) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 09:01
sranavnir wrote:
Hi,
@VersatileSchulich

Please evaluate my profile

GMAT: 690(Q49 81% and V35 75%)
Background: E&Ec engineer from India
Work ex: Approx 5 years
GPA: 3.3
Extracurricular activities: Very Good
Age: 26 years

I'm currently looking at colleges with a maximum tuition fee of $50000(CAD). I understand that schulich's fee comes around to $75000. Do i have a chance of getting around $25000 scholarship?
Also, what other colleges could i pursue?


Hello sranavnir,

Hope you are doing good, thanks for writing here.

Scholarship - You have an opportunity to differentiate your profile from the rest of the class through essays.

Schulich offers various scholarships (please refer the applicable scholarship for international students), please refer to the below mentioned link for the detailed scholarship options

http://schulich.yorku.ca/client/schulic ... enDocument

Schulich India Campus offers very attractive scholarships and you may end up saving one year living expenses as well (the schulich india mba is same MBA program with the difference that you get to do your first year in India and you study your second year at the Canadian Campus)

As far as question of pursuing other colleges is concerned, I suggest you to help me with some more details

1) Your goals after MBA
2) Region you wanna settle after MBA
3) Your inclination to specialize in (if any)

Hope this helps, feel free to get in touch with me for any other info, I can surely give you a perspective that I have been seeing while being at campus.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2013
Posts: 13
Location: China
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Schulich (York) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 23:56
i got it. really appreciate your reply there are some details:1 i just graduated from college this summer, july. 2 my major is English, and i get the degree with a gpa around 3.5, or nearly 85 percent. The last two years are little higher. 3 i had two interns during my college lif, one is working in the TV station of my province and another is working in the newspaper agency. Each intern lasts for around 2 months. 4 in fact, i personally wish for the MBA program. Schulich does not impose the two years working experience requirment on the applier, is that true? if working experience is a must, i prefer to work for some time before applying MBA. by the way, do you think my IELTS7 is enough, the four bands are listening 7 reading 7.5 writing 6 speaking 6.5
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2013
Posts: 5
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GPA: 3.1
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Schulich (York) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2013, 11:55
Hi -

I have been working in Canada on a Work Permit for last 18 months now and have a total work Experience of 39 Months now, i got a 720 on my GMAT.

I have my interview scheduled for Indian School of Business Hyderabad in a couple of weeks. If i get selected I will have to give a three month notice before i can leave the job and the classes starts in April.

I want to apply for Schulich as well but want to know if there is an early entry option to Schulich and when will they announce the results if i submit my application before Jan-7.
BSchool Thread Master
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2013
Posts: 26
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Schulich (York) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2013, 14:14
sg33 wrote:
Hi -

I have been working in Canada on a Work Permit for last 18 months now and have a total work Experience of 39 Months now, i got a 720 on my GMAT.

I have my interview scheduled for Indian School of Business Hyderabad in a couple of weeks. If i get selected I will have to give a three month notice before i can leave the job and the classes starts in April.

I want to apply for Schulich as well but want to know if there is an early entry option to Schulich and when will they announce the results if i submit my application before Jan-7.


Hi sg33,

Thanks for writing here.

Please write to the school along with the circumstances and I am sure they will be positive about revering on your admission decision (by 7th Jan) if you give them enough time to review it. If you do not get positive revert or if you do not get revert in time, you can let me know and i will get your matter expedited.

Hope this helps

Good Luck

Thanks
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2013
Posts: 13
Location: China
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Schulich (York) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2013, 15:56
hi verastileschulich, i have a concern. although my gmat 700 is ok, yet my ir score is low,just 2. if my ir is a big disadvantage?if this will leave me less competitive in application. some information on the internet says ir is not as important as main sector(Q,V), i am not sure if this is right. if you will emphasis on ir several years latter?
BSchool Thread Master
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2013
Posts: 26
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Schulich (York) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2013, 05:11
razer727 wrote:
hi verastileschulich, i have a concern. although my gmat 700 is ok, yet my ir score is low,just 2. if my ir is a big disadvantage?if this will leave me less competitive in application. some information on the internet says ir is not as important as main sector(Q,V), i am not sure if this is right. if you will emphasis on ir several years latter?


Hello razer727,

Thanks for writing here.

Please do not worry much about IR scores as of now, every schools knows the same about IR effectiveness that you and I know because IR is a new trend and the schools are yet to judge the effect of IR score.

Generally schools observe the new trend for a few intakes and then judge the effectiveness of the change. e.g. for GMAT, the school reglarly monitors the performance of students (for their own research) from all levels of GMAT scores to see how well higher/lower GMAT scorers perform.

However, if you have taken any special statistical courses (data analysis oriented) or any other data analysis course, you can always highlight your performance in your optional essay to prove that you are good at data analysis. If not do not worry.

To conclude, do not worry about your IR, just shoot your best application and I am sure you will be good.

Hope this helps.

Good luck
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2013
Posts: 13
Location: China
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Schulich (York) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2013, 05:27
VersatileSchulich wrote:
razer727 wrote:
hi verastileschulich, i have a concern. although my gmat 700 is ok, yet my ir score is low,just 2. if my ir is a big disadvantage?if this will leave me less competitive in application. some information on the internet says ir is not as important as main sector(Q,V), i am not sure if this is right. if you will emphasis on ir several years latter?


Hello razer727,

Thanks for writing here.

Please do not worry much about IR scores as of now, every schools knows the same about IR effectiveness that you and I know because IR is a new trend and the schools are yet to judge the effect of IR score.

Generally schools observe the new trend for a few intakes and then judge the effectiveness of the change. e.g. for GMAT, the school reglarly monitors the performance of students (for their own research) from all levels of GMAT scores to see how well higher/lower GMAT scorers perform.

However, if you have taken any special statistical courses (data analysis oriented) or any other data analysis course, you can always highlight your performance in your optional essay to prove that you are good at data analysis. If not do not worry.

To conclude, do not worry about your IR, just shoot your best application and I am sure you will be good.

Hope this helps.

Good luck


thanks,your words really make me feel better. However, since i just graduated and have no full-time working experience, i will apply mba two or three years latter. do you think whether business schools will finish ir evaluation and focus on ir at that time? whether it is worth to retake gmat in order to raise my ir up to 4 or over?still most school will focus much more on gmat score(q and v)and only when other backgrounds are similar between two candidates does the school then will shift the focus to ir, right?
BSchool Thread Master
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2013
Posts: 26
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Schulich (York) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2013, 09:58
razer727 wrote:
VersatileSchulich wrote:
razer727 wrote:
hi verastileschulich, i have a concern. although my gmat 700 is ok, yet my ir score is low,just 2. if my ir is a big disadvantage?if this will leave me less competitive in application. some information on the internet says ir is not as important as main sector(Q,V), i am not sure if this is right. if you will emphasis on ir several years latter?


Hello razer727,

Thanks for writing here.

Please do not worry much about IR scores as of now, every schools knows the same about IR effectiveness that you and I know because IR is a new trend and the schools are yet to judge the effect of IR score.

Generally schools observe the new trend for a few intakes and then judge the effectiveness of the change. e.g. for GMAT, the school reglarly monitors the performance of students (for their own research) from all levels of GMAT scores to see how well higher/lower GMAT scorers perform.

However, if you have taken any special statistical courses (data analysis oriented) or any other data analysis course, you can always highlight your performance in your optional essay to prove that you are good at data analysis. If not do not worry.

To conclude, do not worry about your IR, just shoot your best application and I am sure you will be good.

Hope this helps.

Good luck


thanks,your words really make me feel better. However, since i just graduated and have no full-time working experience, i will apply mba two or three years latter. do you think whether business schools will finish ir evaluation and focus on ir at that time? whether it is worth to retake gmat in order to raise my ir up to 4 or over?still most school will focus much more on gmat score(q and v)and only when other backgrounds are similar between two candidates does the school then will shift the focus to ir, right?


Hello,

Thanks for your revert.

Honestly, it is very difficult to predict the future perspective of IR, but I believe that IR might not become a CORE deciding factor for the GMAT part even in future. I believe if IR were too important for the GMAC to be included as a gauge to measure the effectiveness of student, GMAC would include the same in the current structure of Quant.

Now suppose if IR becomes too important after two years, you can retake the GMAT at that point of time (all gmat resources prep companies would come out with innovative resources if IR becomes too important). All schools will look at the highest GMAT score at the time of reviewing your application, so you do not loose your 700 score. You would have a success story in your essay to write (how you improved your IR :) )

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any questions that you may feel important.

Good luck
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2013
Posts: 5
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GPA: 3.1
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Schulich (York) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2013, 19:44
I have started my application, is it a mandatory requirement to give your language proficiency tests (IELTS) along with my application or can it be submitted a little later.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2013
Posts: 9
Location: Canada
Phulvir: Khatra
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Schulich (York) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2013, 12:43
I got the call early morning today followed by an email a few hours later....I am admitted for the session starting in January 2014...:)
Re: Schulich (York) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!   [#permalink] 23 Oct 2013, 12:43
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
12 Experts publish their posts in the topic Schulich (York) Class of 2016 Calling all Admitted Students! Narenn 26 31 Dec 2013, 09:51
71 Experts publish their posts in the topic Goizueta (Emory) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! CMcAboy 481 25 Apr 2013, 07:41
14 Schulich (York) 2013 - Calling All Applicants deadlycat 96 10 Oct 2012, 11:54
1 York University Schulich 2012 - Calling All Applicants dzyubam 47 07 Sep 2011, 05:17
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Schulich (York) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8    Next  [ 148 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.