Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [6]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [4]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [4]
Send PM
Re: Schulich (York) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Kudos
kedi wrote:
akshay4110 wrote:
Thanks Kedi for the info:)
And congo for getting admit from both Schulich and Desautels..:) so, what would be ur final choice??

I was told I didn't get any scholarship this round, and that their next meeting would be Feb 27... So Desautels it is for me :wink:

Good luck to everyone else applying!

Hi Kedi,
Thanks for replying. When do you heard about your scholarship details? Actually I have not heard anything from Schulich regarding the scholarships. Can you please tell whom should i contact to get some details about scholarship?

Thanks,
Akshay
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
And congo for getting admit from both Schulich and Desautels..:) so, what would be ur final choice??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [3]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: York University (Schulich) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
GPabla wrote:
Hi deadlycat

I have been to other Rotman vs Schulich gmatclub debates and you have always been a staunch supporter of Schulich. We want to know that has this outlook on Schulich changed any bit, now that you are inside the campus?

Hows your experience till now?

GPabla, at the risk of invoking confirmation bias, I would say that picking Schulich was the correct choice for me. The reason I say this is not because Schulich offers the very best education that money can buy (it doesn’t). What Schulich does offer is a good business education at a relatively affordable price.

My experience at Schulich up to now has been eye opening. It has definitely not been all fun and rainbows. In fact it has been downright grueling for the past year and a half. I work full time so I take the MBA program on a part time basis. I basically finish work then head straight to class, 2-3 nights a week. Since I work in downtown Toronto, I try to take most of my courses at the downtown Nadal campus, but I’ve also taken some courses at the uptown Keele campus and even the odd classes on Coursera and even one at Rotman. My weekend is split mostly between school work and real work. I put in about 20-30 hours for school and 50-60 hours for work per week which adds up to … a miserable schedule. Social life doesn’t fit well into that schedule and there are days when I question myself if it’s really worth it.

My answer has so far been yes and it basically boils down to one thing, personal growth. I’ve often in the past shied away from hard work and coasted on talent but a schedule like that has really beaten the laziness out of me (mostly). I was also fortunate to be placed in a very strong cohort with many talented and successful peers. Most of us worked full time and many were married with kids. I am still amazed at how they managed to juggle all of their family duties on top of work and school. I mean, I'm barely holding it together shouldering just work and school, if I have to wake up in the middle of the night to feed a screaming child, I don’t think I would make it out of the program. What was clear to me after knowing my classmates is that they all focused, ambitious and driven. Luckily, in an environment full of talented and driven people, these traits are infectious. I can’t help but be motivated to push my limit and become a better version of myself. Iron sharpens iron as they say and I can honestly say that I have been inspired and motivated by many of the people that I have met through my MBA journey thus far.

I feel that I should put a disclaimer here after my previous paragraph which does sound like over the top cheerleading. While those thoughts are my honest opinions, they’re based on my personal experience and it goes without saying that no two people will have identical ones. Quality of students varies quite significantly from one campus to another and even from one class to another. I have been in classes where the student quality is quite subpar so keep your expectation reasonable if you’re considering Schulich. The quality here can be a mixed bag for both students and profs.
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
madhurvashisht wrote:
Hi ,

I will shortly be submitting my application for the January 2014 intake .

I have the following questions :

1 ) With the rupee tumbling is it still worth a shot .
2 ) What are the job and PR prospects post MBA .
3 ) How would you rate the internship ?

I am an indian student with a 650 in GMAT and around 3 years of IT experience and another 8 months of Social Media Marketing experience .

Hi,

Thanks for writing here, please find revert on your individual point

1 ) With the rupee tumbling is it still worth a shot .

Ideally, an MBA is always taken as a long term investment, leading to a long term career. When you invest your money with the right program (qualitative enough to equip you with right skill set to achieve your professional goal - be it entrepreneurship, a dream job or venture into non profit etc. ), I am sure you would not worry much about the investments that you make because you are sure that this investment is gonna make you get big returns in future.

Above all, you still have an option to choose Schulich India Camps where you can save some money in terms of living cost

a) You do first year of your MBA at Schulich Business School, Hyderabad - Indian Campus
b) You come to Schulich Canada Campus for your Second year of MBA.

Overall, I would suggest not to worry about the investment ( I would not say cost, because i believe that MBA is an Investment not Cost :) )

2 ) What are the job and PR prospects post MBA .

Job Prospects : Schulich Business School has been ranked among top business schools not only in North America but also in the world. You may refer to below mentioned link to get more insights on the same

https://schulich.yorku.ca/client/schulic ... enDocument

You might also want to refer to the latest placement report

https://www.schulich.yorku.ca/client/sch ... enDocument

Schulich Business School has full time CDC (Career Development Centre) that closely works with the employers for increasing full time and internship opportunities for its students.

The School has a huge alumni base spread across 60 countries. When you are a part of Schulich Alumni, you can explore opportunities worldwide.

With qualitative professors, diversified student community and excellent infrastructure, Schulich Business School has all the reasons to help you achieve your dream job.

PR Prospects :

Permanent Residency (PR) is issued by Govt of Canada and the you may refer the website https://www.CIC.gc.ca for the technicalities for the same.

However, you are eligible to apply for THREE years work permit once you have completed two years MBA at Schulich Business School whereas with one year MBA at canada (with any other business school) , you can primarily apply for one year work permit only.

Overall, Canada is an immigrant friendly country

3 ) How would you rate the internship ?

As mentioned in the point 2, the CDC - Career Development Centre - closely works with the employer throughout the year to bring maximum opportunities for students. If you need any more specific information you can see refer the below mentioned link

https://www.schulich.yorku.ca/client/sch ... enDocument

I have tried to give the best possible answer to your Question, you may feel free to revert to me if you need any more information

Lastly, I would suggest you to apply as early as possible, you may PM me if you need any help on application

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [2]
Given Kudos: 186
Send PM
Kudos
satyajeettripathy wrote:
Hi,

The selection process of Schulich is Rolling. The deadline on the website for fall 2014 MBA 2 years says Jan 7th. Does it mean that very less seats are left for international candidates?

Thanks
Satyajeet

Off topic: I see LOTS of schools in your profile. How on this earth did you manage so many applications?! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Kudos
Any idea how long Schulich takes to notify about scholarship info? I got my admit on 17 January, and I'm wondering if I should send an email to ask about that..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
I was told the scholarship committee will meet this Thursday (6 Feb), not sure when results will be announced.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Schulich(York) Admissions Blog: Experience Schulich – March 1st, 2014 – OPEN HOUSE
We’ve enjoyed meeting so many great people on the road this year, unfortunately all good things must come to an end. To wrap up the recruitment cycle for 2014, our final event of the season will be our annual open house, Experience Schulich, on March 1, 2014. This is one event that you do not [...]
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
akshay4110 wrote:

I was told I didn't get any scholarship this round, and that their next meeting would be Feb 27... So Desautels it is for me :wink:

Good luck to everyone else applying!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
akshay4110 wrote:
Hi Kedi,
Thanks for replying. When do you heard about your scholarship details? Actually I have not heard anything from Schulich regarding the scholarships. Can you please tell whom should i contact to get some details about scholarship?

Thanks,
Akshay

I asked Amanda Barnes (assistant director of financial aid) directly because I had a tight deadline to make my final decision. Maybe you can try emailing her, or calling if it's urgent for you too!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Applied Jan 6th, phone interview Feb 11th. Was told that the adcomms will be meeting again next week when he will give them the notes of the interview and a decision will be made. He said I should hear something around 2 weeks from now.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
hey hi ,
i have recieved for a telephonic interview on 17th. my question is is interview a must for Admit for schulich?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
If you were invited for an interview, yeah it should be a must...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi All,

Can you guys please throw some light on the opportunities that Schulich MBA can provide me to launch a career in Canada's Oil and Natural gas sector?. Actually my pre-MBA WE is in the project management capacities in Indian Power Industry , making Canada's Oil and Natural Gas sector as my logical first choice.

Also, please tell me how effectively can Schulich help me launch into finance or marketing, considering my pre-MBA work experience. Basically, I just want to explore on my options if I attend Schulich.
Please also suggest what other fields or working areas will become open if I pursue an MBA from Schulich.

My personal opinion is that Schulich is highly reputed in Canada and I am very much eager to join the college. But, I am not clear about my job prospects after an MBA from Schulich.

Please pour in your comments and suggestions :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: York University (Schulich) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
GPabla wrote:
Hi deadlycat,

I am not solely relying on the CDC, its just that I am gauging what help can I get from the factors other than my own efforts. Once I am there, I will surely try to find out and network with the person behind the mask of deadlycat :) Who knows you might offer me a job position in your company. :)
BTW guys, do not get disheartened over the CDC. Schulich's CDC is making all out efforts to groom students to compete in the job market. Schulich has hired four executive coaches to mentor MBA students. Similar practice is followed across various US Schools and Rotman as well. Another Schulich student told me that the distance to downtown Toronto is the only disadvantage at Schulich.

CDC making an effort: True from what I can tell

Distance to downtown: Partly true, this is why Schulich has a campus (Nadal) in the heart of the financial district. Most of the students here works full time and attend class part time. If I was an international student and looking for a job, I would take as much courses there as I possibly could. The reason is not so that I can ask people for a job (people don't like being used like that), but to see how actual Canadian working professional act and think. There are definite cultural differences coming from over sea and it would really help your job search in Canada to observe a number of Canadian working professionals. People's personalities varies but there are definite common traits that powers success. Look to develop and acquire these skills and your job search will be fine :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Going to Schulich.. Paid my fee and applied for housing as well.. I rejected Sauder and Georgetown for Schulich..
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Hi

I am current student at Schulich Business School, I have been following Schulich Business School and other Canadian B-schools for the last two years

It would be a pleasure to help you guys resolve your queries related to

1) Admission Process at Schulich
2) Any details related to credentials to Schulich
3) Understand Why Schulich could be/ could not be the best school for you
4) Any other details that can help you
Feel free you to post your queries at the thread or PM me

Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert