Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 08:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scientific research at a certain university was supported in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Scientific research at a certain university was supported in [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2003, 13:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:53) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions
11. Scientific research at a certain university was supported in part by an annual grant from a major foundation. When the university' s physics department embarked on weapons-related research, the foundation, which has a purely humanitarian mission, threatened to cancel its grant. The university then promised that none of the foundation' s money would be used for the weapons research, whereupon the foundation withdrew its threat, concluding that the weapons research would not benefit from the foundation' s grants.

Which one of the following describes a flaw in the reasoning underlying the foundation's conclusion?

(A) It overlooks the possibility that the availability of the foundation's money for humanitarian uses will allow the university to redirect other funds from humanitarian uses to weapons research.

(B) It overlooks the possibility that the physics department' s weapons research is not he only one of the university's research activities with other than purely humanitarian purposes.

(C) It overlooks the possibility that the university made its promise specifically in order to induce the foundation to withdraw its threat.

(D) It confuses the intention of not using a sum of money for a particular purpose with the intention of not using that sum of money at all.

(E) It assumes that if the means to achieve an objective are humanitarian in character, then the objective is also humanitarian in character.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2003, 14:45
Explain why C is wrong. I will post the answer later.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2003, 15:09
anandnk wrote:
Explain why C is wrong. I will post the answer later.

There is nothing wrong with C, but A is more stronger than C.

A directly gives a reason to believe that the funds will indirectly benefit the weapons program. And the foundation was specifically intrested in not allowing its funds to benefit the weapons prog.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2003, 15:18
Agreed with asandeep's explanation.
Only A stands a chance.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2003, 15:33
I chose A and A is the correct answer. I felt that C is not a flaw at all. C proves that the university is lying and this cannot be a flaw. As asandeep said A gives indirect reasons making it better than C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2003, 16:44
hey i think all these questions you are posting violating the GMAT principles, in GMAT the question has one and only one choice. But several(or almost all) question posted by you have debatable answers. You mentioned the source is studa.com but i can not read this coz of fonts. I am doing well with Kaplan, OG and other standard material but these questions just drive me crazy. can u please tell me how to access this questions from studa.com, and how reliable it is,

thanks.

When u r about to make ends meet, someone moves the ends.

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2003, 19:00
Hi mbamantra

http://www.studa.com/newexam/list.asp?boardid=174

Goto this site and you will some garbled stuff. You will also see something in English. Use those liks to access the tests. I also heard that ETS spends millions of dollars to come with questions which dont have questionable answers. The site I mentioned and their answers/questions along with grammatical problems do have some issues, but I just cannot ignore the number of tests present.
If you are doing good in tests that adhere to strict GMAT rules( if there are any ) then you should feel confident. I am sure you will do good.
Sometimes these test help you increase your speed.[/url]
  [#permalink] 31 Dec 2003, 19:00