Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 07:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scientist believe they have discovered the wreck of the USS

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Scientist believe they have discovered the wreck of the USS [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 11:49
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Scientist believe they have discovered the wreck of the USS Harvard, sunk by Japanese torpedoes during the Second World War. Their conclutions are drawn from underwater searches by mini-submarines of the area about 4 miles west of Midway Island in the Pacific Ocean during what started out as offshore oil platform accident procedures. There are some military historians that are skeptical about the scientists claim, on the basis that sophisticated sonar equipment has not identified the ship as, in deed the Harvard.

Which of teh following, if true, would weaken the historians arguments?

A) Thorough seaching by divers and bathscopes has not located the wreck.
B) Three other ships were sunk in this area during the Second World War.
C) The ship's last known position was 20 miles east of Midway.
D: The use of sonar only enables the user to identify the shape and dimension of a wreck.
E) It is not known whether the Harvard suffered much structural damager before beeing sunk.

discipline is what I need.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 12:51
my call is E

A, B and C all support the statement. D also supports the statement as the historian said that "sonar cannot identify the ship" is almost the same as "sonar equipment only identify size and shape of the ship wreck".

E said that it is not know whether the ship suffered any structural damage, hence suggesting that whatever those historians have to rely on might be off the mark.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 13:38
I am caught between D and E.
It seems obviously it is D, but It would be too obvious.
Now D, kinda strengthens the historian’s argument because it says sonar enables the user to identify the shape and dimension of a wreck. Well in that case, shape and dimension could be use to identify If the wreck is in fact the USS Harvard. I think D is tricky, the answer is E.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 13:39
patrickpui wrote:
my call is E

A, B and C all support the statement. D also supports the statement as the historian said that "sonar cannot identify the ship" is almost the same as "sonar equipment only identify size and shape of the ship wreck".

E said that it is not know whether the ship suffered any structural damage, hence suggesting that whatever those historians have to rely on might be off the mark.

i didn';t see this but yeah i get what you are saying about D. It in a way support the historians
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: USS Harvard [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 14:06
Fact: Wreck of Harvard is believed to be found at 4 miles west of Midway Island by minisubmarines.
Historians: This is suspicious since sonar has not identified the ship as Harvard.

Ask for weakening.

A) Thorough seaching by divers and bathscopes has not located the wreck.
Supports historians, obviously.

B) Three other ships were sunk in this area during the Second World War.
How do we know if the wrecks are not from another ship? Supports historians.

This seems to support the historians. The last time it was seen it was 20 miles to the east. And now the wreckage is 4 miles to the west. How do we know if it is the right one?

D: The use of sonar only enables the user to identify the shape and dimension of a wreck.
Seems to be the answer to me. If sonar is not used to identify the exact ship then the fact that sonar cannot identify the exact ship may not mean the finding is suspicious.

E) It is not known whether the Harvard suffered much structural damager before beeing sunk.
I'm not sure why would this have anything to do with sonar being able to identify the ship. Seems out of scope for me.

So I'd have to choose D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: USS Harvard [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 14:16
HongHu wrote:
Seems to be the answer to me. If sonar is not used to identify the exact ship then the fact that sonar cannot identify the exact ship may not mean the finding is suspicious.

Exactly what I want to say. Thanks for the good explanation.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: USS Harvard [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 14:21
HongHu wrote:

This seems to support the historians. The last time it was seen it was 20 miles to the east. And now the wreckage is 4 miles to the west. How do we know if it is the right one?

The Harvard's last known position was not close to the area where the wreck has been found may strenghen the historian's conclusion. It certainly does not weaken the argument. To weaken the historian's argument most effectively, conterevidence that shows that their method of investigation or study procedures results that are inconclusive must be brought, therefore D.

discipline is what I need.

Re: CR: USS Harvard   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2005, 14:21