Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 09:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scientist: My research indicates that children who engage in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Scientist: My research indicates that children who engage in [#permalink] New post 24 May 2012, 03:47
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

69% (02:10) correct 31% (02:01) wrong based on 57 sessions
Scientist: My research indicates that children who engage in impulsive behavior similar to adult thrill-seeking behavior are twice as likely as other children to have a gene variant that increases sensitivity to dopamine. From this, I conclude that there is a causal relationship between this gene variant and an inclination toward thrill-seeking behavior.

Which one of the following, if true, most calls into question the scientist's argument?

A) Many impulsive adults are not unusually sensitive to dopamine.

B) It is not possible to reliably distinguish impulsive behavior from other behavior.

C) Children are often described by adults as engaging in thrill-seeking behvaior simply because they act impulsively.

D) Many people exhibit behavioral tendencies as adults that they did not exhibit as children.

E) The gene variant studied by the scientist is correlated with other types of behavior in addition to thrill-seeking behavior.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 6 Year, Telecom(GSM)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 77 [1] , given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: one of franklin super cr question [#permalink] New post 24 May 2012, 05:42
This post received
KUDOS
Answer should be B.

A) Many impulsive adults are not unusually sensitive to dopamine.(The argument has not concluded anything about Adults.)

B) It is not possible to reliably distinguish impulsive behavior from other behavior.(Correct). If it is not possible to distinguish between impulsive and other behavior,The scientist's whole argument will come to an end as the domain itself will not be available to do the experiment)

C) Children are often described by adults as engaging in thrill-seeking behvaior simply because they act impulsively.(Argument doesn't have to do anything with adults' description)

D) Many people exhibit behavioral tendencies as adults that they did not exhibit as children.( Nothing to do with argument)

E) The gene variant studied by the scientist is correlated with other types of behavior in addition to thrill-seeking behavior.(This also has no effect on the argument)

Consider KUDOS if You find it good

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 33

Re: one of franklin super cr question [#permalink] New post 24 May 2012, 04:30
IMO the ans is D. Am split for choice between D & A really. But the conclusion really is that presence of gene leads to inclination to thrill seeking. D says that the behavior in adult is different than in childhood. So the the correlation between behavior in childhood and adult is no longer valid. options A,B,C dont talk of thrill seeking behaviour but impulsive behavior, a slight twist really!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.3
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 46

Re: one of franklin super cr question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 22:42
Answer would be B. Pretty straightforward...
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: one of franklin super cr question [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2012, 07:25
OA is B please visit the link below for further explanation:
http://www.beatthegmat.com/scientist-my ... 08086.html

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 4

Re: one of franklin super cr question [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2012, 08:16
:O this was terrible for me, though i marked B at last by elimination.

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Expert Post
Followers: 287

Kudos [?]: 2411 [0], given: 693

Re: one of franklin super cr question [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2012, 10:04
Expert's post
Re: one of franklin super cr question   [#permalink] 12 Jun 2012, 10:04