Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 14:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scientist: Our antenna has located a new signal. This signal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 291 [0], given: 20

Scientist: Our antenna has located a new signal. This signal [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2012, 06:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

67% (02:12) correct 33% (01:41) wrong based on 56 sessions
Scientist: Our antenna has located a new signal. This signal may be from space, or it might be the result of
interference from equipment on Earth. In order to determine which it is, we plan to test this signal by slightly
changing the orientation of our antenna. Much as a searchlight beam falls off in intensity near its edges, so too does
the sensitivity of an antenna decrease when a transmitting target is not exactly centered. If the signal intensity
increases or decreases, then we have evidence that the signal is from space.

The scientist’s plan assumes that

A. the antenna is currently oriented to the center of the transmitting target
B. the intensity of signals produced by interference on Earth remains constant when an antenna’s orientation is
slightly adjusted
C. adjusting the antenna orientation is the test most likely to eliminate the possibility of Earth-based interference
D. Earth-based interference is likely to appear as if it were being transmitted from several specific locations at once
E. signal transmissions from space are less intense than Earth-based interference

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
later

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V26
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.62
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: Our antenna has located a new signal [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2012, 08:00
I choose B after 1'54''
not really know
B. the intensity of signals produced by interference on Earth remains constant when an antenna’s orientation is
slightly adjusted
yes, it sounds good because it addresses adjusting orientation
C. adjusting the antenna orientation is the test most likely to eliminate the possibility of Earth-based interference
not really know. The answer also contains "most", the extreme word, which should be avoided.
D. Earth-based interference is likely to appear as if it were being transmitted from several specific locations at once
not relevant
E. signal transmissions from space are less intense than Earth-based interference
not relevant
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 11

Re: Our antenna has located a new signal [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2012, 11:21
gmatbull wrote:
Scientist: Our antenna has located a new signal. This signal may be from space, or it might be the result of
interference from equipment on Earth. In order to determine which it is, we plan to test this signal by slightly
changing the orientation of our antenna. Much as a searchlight beam falls off in intensity near its edges, so too does
the sensitivity of an antenna decrease when a transmitting target is not exactly centered. If the signal intensity

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
later

A. the antenna is currently oriented to the center of the transmitting target - this acts opposite to the argument. The premise states "sensitivity" of an antenna decreases when a target is not exactly centered. This option does not even tie to the conclusion. Eliminate.
slightly adjusted - Yes - If the signal intensity increases or decreases we have that evidence that the signal is from space. Therfore, intensity of signals produced on Earth should remain constant.
C. adjusting the antenna orientation is the test most likely to eliminate the possibility of Earth-based interference - nope - Doesn't tie to the conclusion.
D. Earth-based interference is likely to appear as if it were being transmitted from several specific locations at once - Out of scope.
E. signal transmissions from space are less intense than Earth-based interference - how can you say this ? Eliminate.

Arrive at B .

You want something, go get it . Period !

Director
Director

Re: Our antenna has located a new signal [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2012, 13:08
The stem says the interference might be from equipment on Earth, but option B says
"intensity of signals produced by interference on Earth remains "

What effect is the statement on the validity of the argument?

BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 11

Re: Our antenna has located a new signal [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2012, 22:51
gmatbull wrote:
The stem says the interference might be from equipment on Earth, but option B says
"intensity of signals produced by interference on Earth remains "

What effect is the statement on the validity of the argument?

The conclusion of the statement : If the signal intensity increases or decreases, then we have evidence that the signal is from space.

We need to tie the option as closely to the conclusion as possible.

So, if the conclusion needs to hold true :
We need to assume :
the intensity of signals produced by interference on Earth remains constant when an antenna’s orientation is slightly adjusted.

If the intensity is increases or decreases from space , we need to assume the intensity on Earth is constant.

Even if you try negating this option, you should be able to come to B.

I hope that helps !

You want something, go get it . Period !

Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 274 [0], given: 67

Re: Our antenna has located a new signal [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 19:22
gmatbull wrote:

slightly adjusted

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
later

Excellent Question
Conclusion: If the orientation of the antenna is changed and the signal increases or decreases than it means that the signal is not from the interfernce of the earth.

I eliminated all choices except B and C, B wins in the negation test.

Lets check B the intensity of signals produced by interference on Earth remains constant when an antenna’s orientation is
slightly adjusted when negated it becomes "the intensity of signals produced by interference on Earth does not remains constant when an antenna’s orientation is slightly adjusted "
That means when the signal increases or decreases that is to say changes than the signal is from earth's interfernce.Hence the conclusion is destroyed.

C. adjusting the antenna orientation is the test most likely to eliminate the possibility of Earth-based interference>>>The argument is not concerned with the type or various tests required to check interference. the argument is specific about the type of test described in the argument.
Moreover when the option is negated it means that the test described in the argument is not the only test, there are other type of tests to eliminate the possibility, the choice does not weaken anyway the result of the test mentioned in the argument.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Re: Our antenna has located a new signal [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 04:11
i feel that the answer is A because if the scientist did not assume A then his conclusion cannot be drawn.
i deliberated a lot between A and B but finally chose A.
while making the conclusion i feel the scientist is worried less about the interference produced by objects on the earth.
can someone please post OA?
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 140

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 4

Re: Our antenna has located a new signal [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 07:32
Hi Siriam,

The answer is almost certainly B.

A is no good because that conclusion about the 'centering' does not actually address something about either the signal being from space or earth. If it is currently centered it could be on either an object in space or on earth.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Manager
Manager

Re: Our antenna has located a new signal [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 14:09
plumber250 wrote:
Hi Siriam,

The answer is almost certainly B.

A is no good because that conclusion about the 'centering' does not actually address something about either the signal being from space or earth. If it is currently centered it could be on either an object in space or on earth.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

James

hi plumber250,

i agree with your thought but look at the argument in this way.
to decide signal source, the author decides to use a certain method to eliminate the wrong one.
author has thought of that method because he has assumed that whatever transmission the antenna is receiving is from the center of the signal source.
so i thought that this was the fundamental assumption of the author while writing this piece of argument.
can you please explain to me where i have gone wrong.
thanks!!
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 140

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 4

Re: Our antenna has located a new signal [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 14:48
Hi Siriam,

In my opinion the hitting of the centre is neither assumed or necessary. We know nothing about whether hitting the centre of the target is necessary for this to work, so it's irrelevant to the argument presented.

I may be wrong. Time for the OA please...

Thanks

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Manager
Manager

Re: Our antenna has located a new signal [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 15:00
hi plumber,

the OA is definitely B because if you negate B it weakens the argument.
negation of B- the intensity of signals produced by interference on earth does not remain constant when antenna's orientation is slightly adjusted.

this weakens authors conclusion that signal is from outer space.

i agree that B is indeed better than A.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 38

Re: Scientist: Our antenna has located a new signal. This signal [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 10:24
The answer should be B because if negate the following option "the intensity of signals produced by interference on Earth remains constant when an antenna’s orientation is slightly adjusted" then it conclusion untrue.

I will give a Fight till the End

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds

A person who is afraid of Failure can never succeed -- Amneet Padda

Don't Forget to give the KUDOS

Director
Director

Re: Scientist: Our antenna has located a new signal. This signal [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2012, 00:41
Of course, we have an overwhelming majority leaning towards
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B
, and it's the OA.

Re: Scientist: Our antenna has located a new signal. This signal   [#permalink] 04 Dec 2012, 00:41