Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 12:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scientists at the Los Alamos National Laboratory have

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Insead '13 (M)
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 690 [1] , given: 48

GMAT ToolKit User
Scientists at the Los Alamos National Laboratory have [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 05:20
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

52% (02:03) correct 48% (01:08) wrong based on 163 sessions
Scientists at the Los Alamos National Laboratory have succeeded for the first time in mining heat from the Earth’s interior and producing energy on a commercial scale, enough for efficient generation of electricity and heating factories and homes.
A. and producing energy on a commercial scale, enough for efficient generation of electricity and heating
B. and producing enough energy on a commercial scale for electricity to be generated efficiently and to heat
C. for energy production on a commercial scale, enough for generating electricity efficiently and to heat
D. to produce energy on a commercial scale, enough for generating electricity efficiently and for heating
E. to produce enough energy on a commercial scale for efficient generation of electricity and heat
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

press +1 Kudos to appreciate posts
Download Valuable Collection of Percentage Questions (PS/DS)

Last edited by MBAhereIcome on 23 Aug 2011, 07:21, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1518 [0], given: 247

Re: Scientists at the Los Alamos National Laboratory [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 05:44
Expert's post
The one cursor that will point to the right choice will be the ‘for’ parallelism, which is maintained only in D. I will confidently tick D and tick off others

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: Scientists at the Los Alamos National Laboratory [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 09:55
daagh wrote:
The one cursor that will point to the right choice will be the ‘for’ parallelism, which is maintained only in D. I will confidently tick D and tick off others

Yes, agree with this.
The distinct thing to be noticed instantly.

A bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to take a turn.....

Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 18

Re: Scientists at the Los Alamos National Laboratory have [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 02:27
MBAhereIcome wrote:
Scientists at the Los Alamos National Laboratory have succeeded for the first time in mining heat from the Earth’s interior and producing energy on a commercial scale, enough for efficient generation of electricity and heating factories and homes.
A. and producing energy on a commercial scale, enough for efficient generation of electricity and heating
B. and producing enough energy on a commercial scale for electricity to be generated efficiently and to heat
C. for energy production on a commercial scale, enough for generating electricity efficiently and to heat
D. to produce energy on a commercial scale, enough for generating electricity efficiently and for heating
E. to produce enough energy on a commercial scale for efficient generation of electricity and heat

i pick D. according to intended meaning, A, B, C and E are out

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 62

Re: Scientists at the Los Alamos National Laboratory have [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 15:13
Picked 'D' as well. The sentence tests meaning and parallelism. If you cut out the "fluff" in the sentence, it will help to understand the sentence. "Scientists..... have succeeded...... in mining heat from the Earth’s interior..." To do what? "to produce energy on a commercial scale,..."
I could be wrong =)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 12

Re: Scientists at the Los Alamos National Laboratory have [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2012, 15:58
The word and is used a co-ordinating conjunction which is used to connect independent idea's. Here , the two things that scientists do are not independent. They are successful in generating heat from inside the earth to produce electricity. Clearly A and B are out. C is out for ambiguity. Now D clearly maintains parallelism. Hence , it wins.

As Daagh said you could have looked for || and picked D and moved on.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: Scientists at the Los Alamos National Laboratory have [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2013, 07:54
A. and producing energy on a commercial scale, enough for efficient generation of electricity and heating -- heating is not || to generation of electricity -- correct form generating
B. and producing enough energy on a commercial scale for electricity to be generated efficiently and to heat -- to heat is not || to be generated
efficiently -- correct form to generate
C. for energy production on a commercial scale, enough for generating electricity efficiently and to heat -- to heat is not || to for generating
correct form to generate
D. to produce energy on a commercial scale, enough for generating electricity efficiently and for heating -- for heating is || to for generating --right answer
E. to produce enough energy on a commercial scale for efficient generation of electricity and heat -- heat is not || to generation of electicity -- correct form heat || generate
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 46

Re: Scientists at the Los Alamos National Laboratory have [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2013, 12:19
MBAhereIcome wrote:

here is parallelism error.The parallel structure is enough for...............and for...........
Only option d follow the parallel structure enough for...............and for...........
Thus D is the correct answer
SVP
SVP
Followers: 229

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Scientists at the Los Alamos National Laboratory have [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2014, 21:19
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Scientists at the Los Alamos National Laboratory have   [#permalink] 22 Jul 2014, 21:19