Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 15:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scientists believe that the great white shark

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2012
Posts: 129
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Scientists believe that the great white shark [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2014, 11:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (01:38) correct 41% (00:33) wrong based on 46 sessions
Scientists believe that the great white shark has evolved from the megalodon, a prehistoric shark measuring over 50 feet in length.

(A) believe that the great white shark has evolved
(B) believe that the great white shark evolved
(C) believed that the great white shark has evolved
(D) are believing that the great white shark has evolved
(E) have believed that the great white shark has evolved
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 2142
Followers: 539

Kudos [?]: 2282 [0], given: 31

Re: Scientists believe that the great white shark [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2014, 11:47
Expert's post
kingb wrote:
Scientists believe that the great white shark has evolved from the megalodon, a prehistoric shark measuring over 50 feet in length.

(A) believe that the great white shark has evolved
(B) believe that the great white shark evolved
(C) believed that the great white shark has evolved
(D) are believing that the great white shark has evolved
(E) have believed that the great white shark has evolved

Dear kingb
I'm happy to respond. :-) This topic was already posted here:
forum/scientists-believe-that-the-great-white-shark-has-evolved-110031.html
It's good to do a search for a question before starting a brand new thread on it.

I must say, I am not terribly impressed with the quality of this SC question. The first verb, from the prompt, seems to be in the present tense, "believe" --- it's not that the other tenses are incorrect, necessarily --- we just can't changed to them without changing the meaning. Thus, we need "believe", and only (A) or (B) will suffice.

The "evolving" happened in the past. It is totally done. At this point, we simply have a great white shark as a finished product, so the "evolving" is all over. For that verb, we need the simple past tense, "evolved."

Thus, OA = (B).

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2010
Posts: 385
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 87

Re: Scientists believe that the great white shark [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2014, 12:30
mikemcgarry wrote:
kingb wrote:
Scientists believe that the great white shark has evolved from the megalodon, a prehistoric shark measuring over 50 feet in length.

(A) believe that the great white shark has evolved
(B) believe that the great white shark evolved
(C) believed that the great white shark has evolved
(D) are believing that the great white shark has evolved
(E) have believed that the great white shark has evolved

Dear kingb
I'm happy to respond. :-) This topic was already posted here:
forum/scientists-believe-that-the-great-white-shark-has-evolved-110031.html
It's good to do a search for a question before starting a brand new thread on it.

I must say, I am not terribly impressed with the quality of this SC question. The first verb, from the prompt, seems to be in the present tense, "believe" --- it's not that the other tenses are incorrect, necessarily --- we just can't changed to them without changing the meaning. Thus, we need "believe", and only (A) or (B) will suffice.

The "evolving" happened in the past. It is totally done. At this point, we simply have a great white shark as a finished product, so the "evolving" is all over. For that verb, we need the simple past tense, "evolved."

Thus, OA = (B).

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)


Mike,

I went with option A because I thought 'evolved' in option B is a participle and not a verb. Hence, I thought the sentence in option B doesn't have a verb.

How do I get rid of such a situation when I am not sure if something is a participle or a verb?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 2142
Followers: 539

Kudos [?]: 2282 [1] , given: 31

Re: Scientists believe that the great white shark [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2014, 14:26
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gmatter0913 wrote:
Mike,

I went with option A because I thought 'evolved' in option B is a participle and not a verb. Hence, I thought the sentence in option B doesn't have a verb.

How do I get rid of such a situation when I am not sure if something is a participle or a verb?

Dear gmatter0913,
Part of the problem is that participles, fundamentally, are verb parts. Every participle could be part of a full bonafide verb. The present participles (-ing) are part of the progressive tense verbs, and the past participle (-ed) is the whole past tense for regular verbs and part of the perfect tense verbs for all verbs. See:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-verb- ... ct-tenses/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-verbs ... ive-tense/
Keep in mind that all verb end in (-ing) in the present participle, but only regular verbs end in (-ed) in the past participle --- there are all kinds of irregular past participles: been, seen, heard, felt, eaten, gone, run, laid, lain, gotten, brought, thought, etc. etc.

Part of what would help is being familiar with all possible tenses of full verbs. I guess I would say --- if you see an "-ed" form of a verb, especially right after a noun, your first assumption should be that it is a past tense verb. If it absolutely doesn't make sense for it to be interpreted as a full bonafide verb, only then see if it makes sense to interpret it as a participle.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2013
Posts: 273
Location: India
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 29

Re: Scientists believe that the great white shark [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2014, 19:11
Couldn't choose between A and B.Now Completely understandable after Mike's explanation.
Thanks,Mike!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: Scientists believe that the great white shark   [#permalink] 03 Mar 2014, 19:11
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 The great white shark is considered to be an apex predator, guerrero25 2 26 Mar 2013, 13:18
12 Experts publish their posts in the topic Scientists believe that the great white shark has evolved rakeshou 18 25 Feb 2011, 14:20
9 Many scientists believe that abnormalities in brain cici 21 06 Mar 2009, 06:05
SC - White Shark (two OAs again - Help!) UnknownPhD 5 01 Jan 2009, 17:41
shark stevegt 6 27 Jun 2007, 20:19
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Scientists believe that the great white shark

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.